Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Unfiltered Audio lo-fi-af Public Beta

Testflight link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/ZjuP6Lv7

Now that Bass Mint (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/52267/unfiltered-audio-bass-mint-ios-public-beta/p1) is almost ready for release, we are very excited to start the public beta for our recent hit plugin, lo-fi-af. It's a survey of all kinds of artifacts, glitches, and idiosyncrasies from recorded audio history, from vinyl noise and warps to mp3 encoding artifacts. It includes convolution IRs for broken microphones, a stutter effect that simulates a scratched CD, a circuit-bent bitcrusher, and many other features to discover.

Please post all feedback here! We will get back to bug fixing on Monday, but in the meantime have a fun weekend full of audio destruction.

Comments

• edited October 2022

Dope love me some Lofi goodness. Very interesting description as well, not just your typical noise… Can’t wait to test it. Cheers!

• Oh. Cool. Will let you know what is discovered. Looking forward to playing with this.

• edited October 2022

@trickyflemming said:

Now that Bass Mint (https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/52267/unfiltered-audio-bass-mint-ios-public-beta/p1) is almost ready for release, we are very excited to start the public beta for our recent hit plugin, lo-fi-af. It's a survey of all kinds of artifacts, glitches, and idiosyncrasies from recorded audio history, from vinyl noise and warps to mp3 encoding artifacts. It includes convolution IRs for broken microphones, a stutter effect that simulates a scratched CD, a circuit-bent bitcrusher, and many other features to discover.

Please post all feedback here! We will get back to bug fixing on Monday, but in the meantime have a fun weekend full of audio destruction.

Brilliant overall !

In AUM, the waveform and filter are too close to the bottom when fully expanded (see attached). Hard to grab the filter. Interface shifted to the left. (iPad 8 iOS 16.1).

It appears that user presets can be saved into the app in AUM but it doesn’t work.

Pop-up explanation/tool tip of each parameter are awesome!

Not sure how the lock is supposed to work. Seems like it’s not working correctly but maybe I need to spend more time with it. Lock icons on controls seem to appear and disappear randomly, the lock seems to engage and disengage on its own. Not immediately intuitive. I’ll keep looking.

Overall a winner in my book! 😎👍🏼

• I'm finding that I can't scroll on the display if the display window is smaller than the app display. Sounds great though.

• Can’t believe. It was my favourites plug-ins on desktop)

• @anickt said:

@trickyflemming said:

Brilliant overall !

In AUM, the waveform and filter are too close to the bottom when fully expanded (see attached). Hard to grab the filter. Interface shifted to the left. (iPad 8 iOS 16.1).

It appears that user presets can be saved into the app in AUM but it doesn’t work.

Pop-up explanation/tool tip of each parameter are awesome!

Not sure how the lock is supposed to work. Seems like it’s not working correctly but maybe I need to spend more time with it. Lock icons on controls seem to appear and disappear randomly, the lock seems to engage and disengage on its own. Not immediately intuitive. I’ll keep looking.

Overall a winner in my book! 😎👍🏼

Confirm

• Great @trickyflemming but should ideally open full screen in AUM after tapping the top bar of the AUv3. Please check your DMs btw, thanks!

• There’s treasure in this for sure, a really nice bag of tricks!

• Seeing same scaling issues on iPad Pro 11. At full size in AUM, bottom part of the interface is cut off.

• Love the descriptive preset names.. right on the money.. 🤣
    Welcome to iOS (+ this great forum) Unfiltered Audio..

• edited October 2022

@auxmux said:
    Seeing same scaling issues on iPad Pro 11. At full size in AUM, bottom part of the interface is cut off.

You can adjust it but Yer chops off the bottom.

• edited October 2022

Using the beta version of LO-FI-AF, what I thought might be an issue or bug

-Interference value always appears to be maximum when analog is inactive.
    -Global Strength values cannot be changed using the virtual keyboard.
    -Reset and save sizes are in settings, which were eliminated in the Bass-Mint app.
    -Impact, Element, and Bleach color themes may hide the small lock icon on the Interference.
    -The toggle switches on LO-FI-AF are hard to see and know their current state, with the exception of SYNC and AGC. Even when they are tapped, it is difficult to tell which state they have changed from.
    (Below is an example of a toggle switch in use.)
    https://www.nngroup.com/articles/toggle-switch-guidelines/

-The manual link is 404.
    -User presets cannot be saved. (already reported here)
    -Window size is not optimized when double tapping a frame of a loaded LO-FI-AF window in AUM. (already reported here)

-Some items cannot turn on/off the small lock icon when the Processing Order toggle switch is off. The combination is as follows.
    -Convolution/AGC
    -Digital/Sync
    -Analog/Filter with Center and Width

LO-FI-AF has the following strange behaviors. I have identified three patterns.

Warning.
    Sound may be output in situations where the randomize feature is used, so those who perform this Steps to Reproduce should turn down the volume. Even without a sound source, LO-FI-AF has the ability to produce sound by itself.

Part 1.
    Even though the small lock icon in the processing order is displayed, the toggle switch there is switched by the randomize feature.

Steps to Reproduce
    Uninstall and reinstall LO-FI-AF. (In fact, I don’t do this every single time.)
    Load LO-FI-AF into AUM.
    Turn on the large lock icon at the top center of the LO-FI-AF screen.
    Tap once on the coordinates(?) of the toggle switch itself for either Spectral, Digital, or Convolution of the Processing Order.
    A small lock icon for the Processing Order will appear.
    Tap the dice icon to use the randomize feature.
    The on/off toggle occurs only at the toggle switch at the position (row) that the user tapped in the previous step.
    (But that is strange. I think it is normal behavior for the on/off toggle not to occur).

(EDITED)
    In this test, the issue may not occur after just one use of the randomize feature. Anyone who tests the app will have to tap the dice icon several times until they see the strange behavior of the app, which is that the toggle switch moves there for some reason, even though there is the small lock icon.
    (/EDITED)

Part 2.
    There are two issues here.
    The processing order is not randomized even though the large lock icon at the top center of the LO-FI-AF screen is off.
    The smaller lock icon for the processing order is forced off.

Steps to Reproduce
    Uninstall and reinstall LO-FI-AF.
    Load LO-FI-AF into AUM.
    Turn on the large lock icon at the top center of the LO-FI-AF screen.
    Tap the coordinates(?) of the "analog" toggle switch of the processing order itself.
    A small lock icon in the Processing Order will appear.
    The small lock icon of the processing order is forced to be released. (Strange)
    The animation that shuffles the four processing order items up and down does not occur. (Strange. I think it is normal behavior for the shuffling animation to occur when the small lock icon in the processing order is not visible.)

Additional Explanation
    To reproduce the above issue, I think the analog could be in any of the four rows. Anyway, I think the point is to tap the coordinates(?) of the analog toggle switch itself.
    Even if the small lock icon on the processing order is not forced to be released, I think that if the tester taps the dice icon about 6 to 10 times anyway, the forced release will always occur eventually.

(EDITED)
    On second thought, it is equally strange that the three toggle switches other than ANALOG in the PROCESSING ORDER are not randomized. In this case, each time the dice icon is tapped, only the ANALOG toggle switch is toggled.
    (/EDITED)

Part 3.
    There are two issues here.
    The small lock icon for the processing order appears automatically.
    And shuffling (i.e. randomization) occurs.

Steps to reproduce
    Uninstall and reinstall LO-FI-AF.
    Load LO-FI-AF into AUM.
    Turn on the large lock icon in the upper center of the LO-FI-AF screen.
    Tap "twice" on the coordinates(?) of the analog toggle switch itself.

(EDITED)
    A small lock icon appears on the Processing Order, then it disappears.
    (/EDITED)

A small lock icon for the processing order appears. (Strange)
    Shuffle animation occurs. (Strange)
    Thereafter, the shuffle animation occurs every time the tester taps the dice icon to use the randomize function, even though the small lock icon of the processing order is displayed. (Strange)

The layout of LO-FI-AF within each DAW

-Garageband, Cubasis2, BeatMaker3
    In both large and small screen displays, LO-FI-AF hides the bottom part of the screen.
    -NanoStudio2
    When LO-FI-AF is in small screen view, all of the screen is visible.
    When LO-FI-AF is in large screen mode, the bottom part of the screen is hidden.
    In NanoStudio2, the scale of LO-FI-AF changes between small and large screens.
    -Zenbeats
    All of the screen is visible.

• Wooooow, this is impressive.

• Woah thanks for this. Can’t wait to dive in, looks incredible.

• @trickyflemming I'm getting quite a bit of latency, even with all modules turned off and fully dry signal, is that expected? I can send a file, video or determine the latency more precisely if that helps. Thanks for this! I wasn't expecting I'd look beyond my current lo-fi plugins.

• using skip chance on 100% and dragging the skip time knob like crazy is like you were srcatching on a turntable - Easter egg, probably ;)

oh and the GSM tweeting sound made me smile big time haha... those memories. Instantly checked my phone when I heard it...lol

• edited October 2022

-TOOLTIPS for items that open a list when tapped are not displayed unless double-tapped and held. To be precise, the TOOLTIPS are displayed on the next hold operation only when the list is open on the first tap. (But this behavior may be a specification.)
    (EDITED)
    If the PROCESSING ORDER toggle switch is off, that item will show TOOLTIPS on the first tap-and-hold, so it may be a specification.
    In other words, it behaves as the developer intended and may not be an issue. In that case, I’m sorry.
    (/EDITED)
    -The text "NOISE GATE: --" is mixed in with the TOOLTIPS in GATE MODE.

• Would definitely like the text on the tape hiss submenus to be in a slightly larger font. Overall though this is a fantastic interface. We have some great experimental indie devs on iOS but many fall (slightly or sometimes not so slightly) short of the mark when it comes to UI and UX. And I can think of few ports from desktop with such a good interface. You guys should definitely take a look at something like FAC Medusa though, to learn how well resizing can be implemented in iOS AUv3s

• Some examples:

• Also - I think this has been mentioned, but the presets are not browsable in host internal preset menus. Ideally, in AUM, for example, you should enable the option to allow the user to use AUM’s internal preset system to save to AUM but also allow the option to save to LoFiAf / Bass Mint themselves - this only involves a few lines of code and if you are unsure how to implement this I’m sure @j_liljedahl (AUM dev) will help

• Would also love undo / redo buttons - this is particularly useful when quickly randomizing presets - sometimes you hear something good but by the time you notice how good it is you’ve already pressed the randomize button again!

• This is grrrrrrrrrreat!

• Love it… the AU window sizing thing notwithstanding… brilliant

• @Kewe_Esse said:
    Love it… the AU window sizing thing notwithstanding… brilliant

Wish I'd had this before making my pieces for Vampyr 👻

• @Gavinski said:

@Kewe_Esse said:

There comes a point where you have to be like, “No more effects. No more processing. No! We are done here.”

But this is so cool, dammit!

• @Kewe_Esse said:

@Gavinski said:

@Kewe_Esse said:

There comes a point where you have to be like, “No more effects. No more processing. No! We are done here.”

But this is so cool, dammit!

This is not an app to say no to if you like weird, and as a Vampyr contributor,... Nuff said 😂