Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

macOS Ventura 13 issues. List 'em here!

edited October 2022 in Desktop

Looks like 13 is the unlucky number for Cherry Audio users... the desktop update to Ventura totally borked all Cherry Audio plugins. What a mess. All presets gone. All related Library folders moved up to the User level.

A complete disaster.

Comments

• Apart from a few issues with 'Stage Manager' (Which is a complete mess even on macOS Ventura).

StageManager might work better with the M1/M2 Mac's but on my 3Ghz 6-Core i5 MacMini it's so full of bugs it's quite amazing how it even got released (Heads will roll at Apple, that I'm quite sure about, it's a Q&A and PR Nightmare).

Honestly I fail to see the point and 'greatness' of the whole Stage Manager project as we already have Mission Control and multiple desktops that work without issues.

A few AUv3 Plug-ins that rely heavily on OpenGL have some graphical glitches, these are mainly 'Open Source' plug-ins.

With the exception for the OpenGL glitches with the plug-ins my main tools (Logic Pro, Renoise, SunVox, TwistedWave and a few others) work as expected so I'm up and running under macOS Mojave and iPadOS16.1.

Others might have different experiences though...

It feels like Apple has lost their 'Mojo' and rushes out products without thinking and my guess is that Tim Crook's days at Apple are numbered as there's more focus on quick ROI rather than releasing quality products?!

I guess if it wasn't for the stock market etc. Apple could and should have postponed the release a few more months and make sure it's a quality product but hey, I guess it's more important to please the stock-owners than deliver a quality product but that'll bite their behind sooner or later...

Cheers!

• ^ I’m not so sure Cook is ready to have more heads roll… they’re having trouble just getting people to report in to the office!

• edited October 2022

@NeuM said:
    Looks like 13 is the unlucky number for Cherry Audio users... the desktop update to Ventura totally borked all Cherry Audio plugins. What a mess. All presets gone. All related Library folders moved up to the User level.

A complete disaster.

Would've been nice to get this from Cherry Audio as an email BEFORE UPDATING.

• Anyone else having app-specific or OS related issues caused by the update?

• edited October 2022

Update for all Cherry Audio macOS customers. I wrote to them and got this response, which is helpful. I was under the impression that all my presets and customization was lost for their software/plugins, fortunately that is not the case.

From Cherry Audio's customer service:

"... all the previous presets will remain intact in their correct location and once the updates are released, the products will go back to using the ~/Library/Application Support/CherryAudio folders as they previously did in Monterey. Sines should be working as expected from the correct data folder; it was released with Ventura (at the time, beta) support.

Updates on the progress of Ventura support will be issued through our email updates, the support FAQ, as well as social media. Our software also provides update alerts when enabled in Settings > Account > Software Update > Show Updates On Toolbar."

• @NeuM said:

A complete disaster.

I'm just upgrading now and have quite a few Cherry Audio plugins. My fingers are crossed.

• edited October 2022

@cyberheater said:

@NeuM said:

A complete disaster.

I'm just upgrading now and have quite a few Cherry Audio plugins. My fingers are crossed.

Only Sines is supported. You'll have the exact same issues with their other synths/plugins. And Voltage absolutely will not work. If I had known this before I did it, I much rather would've waited. I think they'll have things sorted out in a couple of weeks, hopefully not longer.

• No other problems with Ventura?

Anything that could be USEFUL when upgrading to Ventura?

(Beside Stage Manager, which I really don't need)

• Everything seems to work so far. I quite like Stage Manager.

• tjatja
    edited October 2022

@cyberheater said:
    Everything seems to work so far. I quite like Stage Manager.

I hate non-full-screen or non-half-screen or non-quarter-screen windows :-D

I use Rectangle to have my windows full-screen or either side by side (2 windows for one display, most Apps) or 4 windows using one quarter of a display each (sometimes for Terminal Apps).
    That's it.

If I need more windows than I can fit on my currently 2 displays, I just use "Screens" (or how this feature is called, also available over Mission Control), even as this is far inferior to the solutions available on Windows, and be it only the in-build Virtual Desktops.

Stage Manager is ... strange to me and just wastes screen estate, from my point of view :-)
    I hate operlapping windows in general, as it seems.

Also, I read that it sometimes exchanges windows from your selection just because you opened a new App - which would kill me (or make me kill the Mac).

I esp. hate it on iPadOS, from what I saw - mostly because of the wasted screen estate and windows being smaller than they could be
    I always want my display (be it macOS or iPadOS) to have full-sized windows or two of them, one for each half of the display.
    Four windows are not really usefull on an iPad, so that split screen with possibly different sizes or maybe an flow-over windows is totally what I need on an iPad.

Did I overlook something really useful from Stage Manager?
    I mean, something that does it better than Split Screen on iPadOS or full / half / quarter arrangements on macOS?

P.S. I would like to see a "real" window manager on iPadOS, where you could add and arrange windows freely, like on Windows or macOS, with some added features like from Rectangle of some other decent window manager.

• Do any of the Arturia instrument plugins work with Ventura?

• @Deskscape said:
    Do any of the Arturia instrument plugins work with Ventura?

no issues - pigments+v

• Yeah I haven’t upgraded my MacBook to it yet. Don’t know what plugins have gotten support for it and it’s kind of a beating seeing if they have or not. And this isn’t just auv3, it’s all plugins.

• @cazel said:

@Deskscape said:
    Do any of the Arturia instrument plugins work with Ventura?

no issues - pigments+v

Same here and no issues.

I haven’t tried everything since upgrading, but no issues with everything I have used so far.

• no issues with
    u-he + tal + surge + melda(totalfx) + voxengo + tokyodawnlabs + siraudiotools + khs + mts + spitfire(originals) + discodsp + arturia + kv331 + waldorf + unfilteredaudio + tbproaudio + unitedplugins + ddmf + fircomp + sonobus/paulxstretch

• (not music prod. related) but Not sure if anyone experience this date/Time issue...it never stays accurate! No matter what settings I do...It works for a few days, and it back to a wrong date and time

• @Sergiu said:
    (not music prod. related) but Not sure if anyone experience this date/Time issue...it never stays accurate! No matter what settings I do...It works for a few days, and it back to a wrong date and time

Not had any issues with that, clock is synced perfectly with the time-server...
    If the battery is old on the Mac and it's not connected to the network it might be a good idea to zap the PR-Ram.
    (Option+Command+P+R during boot, let it reboot a couple of times).

Depending on region Apple has a few time-servers around the world, main one is time.apple.com for europe the fastest time-server is time.euro.apple.com. I've not checked the names for time servers in other regions.

Cheers!

• I'll do that Sam...yeah located in Eastern Europe. Thanks!

@Samu said:

@Sergiu said:
    (not music prod. related) but Not sure if anyone experience this date/Time issue...it never stays accurate! No matter what settings I do...It works for a few days, and it back to a wrong date and time

Not had any issues with that, clock is synced perfectly with the time-server...
    If the battery is old on the Mac and it's not connected to the network it might be a good idea to zap the PR-Ram.
    (Option+Command+P+R during boot, let it reboot a couple of times).

Depending on region Apple has a few time-servers around the world, main one is time.apple.com for europe the fastest time-server is time.euro.apple.com. I've not checked the names for time servers in other regions.

Cheers!

• Ventura has removed the WiFi locations dropdown from settings, something I used multiple times per day.

• edited January 2023

Anyone else experiencing this popup literally every single time they start GarageBand on macOS Ventura now? I am. Major annoyance. And I've not found any solutions online which fix it yet.

• @NeuM said:
    Anyone else experiencing this popup literally every single time they start GarageBand on macOS Ventura now? I am. Major annoyance. And I've not found any solutions online which fix it yet.

Ugh. Finally fixed it. For whatever reason, the speakers were not being recognized, so I went into Settings inside GB and reselected them. That did it.

• @NeuM said:

I’ve had a repeated problem with my USB hub not working in connection with my Minifreak not being recognised via that USB hub, was working fine prior to upgrade.

• @FastGhost said:
    Ventura has removed the WiFi locations dropdown from settings, something I used multiple times per day.

system settings -> network -> "..." dropdown at the bottom -> locations 👀

• edited January 2023

Since updating to Ventura Logic Pro has become really unstable. It's probably 3rd party plugin related. So, just a little note of warning to anyone who hasn't made the leap and you have a bunch of 3rd party plugins - stay on Monterey unless you have endless patience. It was really stable before the upgrade. If it keeps going like this I might just have to go back into Monterey. Logic Pro is my main place of creation these days and I don't feel like going through my collection of plugins to work out which ones are the culprits because it almost feels like most of them are.

This is the message I get:

• @Mountain_Hamlet did you try to delete audio unit cache [ ~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/ ]

• @cazel said:
    @Mountain_Hamlet did you try to delete audio unit cache [ ~/Library/Caches/AudioUnitCache/ ]

No I haven't..will try that and see where that gets me. Thanks for the tip.

• @cazel said:

@FastGhost said:
    Ventura has removed the WiFi locations dropdown from settings, something I used multiple times per day.

system settings -> network -> "..." dropdown at the bottom -> locations 👀

Holy cow, there it is! Thanks!

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:
    Since updating to Ventura Logic Pro has become really unstable. It's probably 3rd party plugin related. So, just a little note of warning to anyone who hasn't made the leap and you have a bunch of 3rd party plugins - stay on Monterey unless you have endless patience. It was really stable before the upgrade. If it keeps going like this I might just have to go back into Monterey. Logic Pro is my main place of creation these days and I don't feel like going through my collection of plugins to work out which ones are the culprits because it almost feels like most of them are.

This is the message I get:

I get constant crashes exactly like this from Full Bucket Music synths in GarageBand. Now I try to avoid using them. They’re not often updated so they have become very risky to use.

• I’ve deleted the cache and this time around I have encountered a clean rescan of audio units. I’ll report back when I’ve given it a bit of a run. It won’t take long to notice any improvement.