Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2015 to M2 Apple iPad Pro: What's your take?

I'm still using the 2015 iPad Pro (12.9-inch) and debating whether now is the time to bite on the newest M2 iPad Pro.

Any concerns re: Music Apps?

Any concerns re: CCK to Audio Interface functionality?

Strong enough upgrade to warrant the price?

What's your all's take?

Comments

• @zah said:
    Going from having an audio jack and lightning to only a USB-c port seems pretty problematic for many musicians...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/52443/my-search-for-the-perfect-usb-c-hub-a-complete-failure-haq-attaq/p1

That feature loss alone is what is preventing me from getting a new iPad Pro.

• @zah said:
    Going from having an audio jack and lightning to only a USB-c

Hmm, certainly a fair concern. If planning to connect to an audio interface with audio out and 3.5mm monitoring, would it still be problematic? Is it that there's no CCK + powered hub equivalent?

• @NeuM said:

@zah said:
    Going from having an audio jack and lightning to only a USB-c port seems pretty problematic for many musicians...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/52443/my-search-for-the-perfect-usb-c-hub-a-complete-failure-haq-attaq/p1

This feature alone is what convinced me to get a new iPad (not pro even)

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:

@zah said:

Why's that? Genuinely curious.

• @inakarmacoma said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:

@zah said:

The benefits of USB C far outweigh the lightning connector.

And there’s this for headphones:

• Lol well said.

• @inakarmacoma said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@NeuM said:

@zah said:

Speaking for myself only, I'd say that the iPad air m1 I purchased to replace and hand down my base iPad with lightning and a headphone jack has been the best move I've made in a while, its slicker, lighter, better performing and I've had zero trouble with any usb adaptor I've plugged into it, I'm using the hyperdrive 6 in 1 iPad pro adapter mostly and sometimes a sharkoon mobile DAC pd, both allow charging and have audio, also if I don't want to charge at the same time I have successfully used the usb c and usb a connector on the hyperdrive to power a launchpad pro and midi fighter twister withou no added power source.. I've even plugged a four port anker usb hub into the usb a of the hyperdrive adapter and had zero dropouts or bother with 3 midi controllers plugged in..

Without doubt some people have negative experiences with usb hubs but theyre generally the people you hear more from because their having a hard time, nobody creates a post shouting Hey my usb hub worked without fail every time I used it..

• I think all you really need is a USB-C dongle and a cheap DAC like a Sharkoon or a SoundBlaster Play 3 and you probably won't notice the lack of a headphone Jack.

And when you use a hub just plug the DAC into the hub instead of the USB-C dongle. It should work perfectly OK.

• Yeah I had a 11” 2018 iPad Pro with A USB-C port, and now my new 2021 12.9” iPad Pro, also with the USB-C port, and not once have I ever missed the separate 3.5mm headphone jack and lightning ports that my old iPad Air 2 had.

USB-C is far superior.

• For all the usb-c hub problems reported on this forum, I think there are probably lots of people using usb-c iOS devices who aren’t having problems.

The simplest move from a lightning to usb-c setup is to just get a usb-a to usb-c adapter, then you can use your old hub with the bonus that you no longer need to power it (that’s my experience anyway). You also no longer need the CCK. This assumes you are using an audio interface for headphone/audio out.

If you want to power the iPad at the same time get one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delivery-Charging-Splitter-Thunderbolt-Chromecast-Grey/dp/B09J2MRL8S

Main point is you don’t need a usb-c hub to use usb accessories (interface, controllers etc.) with a usb-c iPad.

• I'll be watching... I'm in the same position. My 12.9 pro is 2015 and I really want to update, but everything I read looks like a chore to chew through.

• In my opinion I would wait because maybe Apple will listen to the customer pressure and make an iPad with USBc port and headphone jack
    Not a fan off the lightning port but even more of the headphone jack
    Surely you can do without and there are solutions with adapters and stuff but for me it sounds more like a Hustla
    Of course if your iPad breaks or become somehow unusable and then of course I would consider buying a newer model

• @amethystswitch said:
    In my opinion I would wait because maybe Apple will listen to the customer pressure and make an iPad with USBc port and headphone jack

Sorry but that's just plain not gonna happen.. they've finally rid the entire line of jack and lightning, there's no going back now especially at the behest of a minority of user like us, we represent a tiny proportion of iPad users..

• I have a 2018 12.9 Pro, and the only things I want from the M1/M2 are Thunderbolt, and the amazing screen.

Thunderbolt because then I can switch my Thunderbolt dock, with monitor and music gear, between Mac and iPad with once cable.

Not prepared to pay €2,000 just for that though. Especially as the M2 Pro seems like a stop-gap update, like the A12Z model.

• edited October 2022

The M1 pro is a solid piece of machinery. The M2 is probably just as solid. There are some potentially cool extras in software land becoming available for the M2. I've used different UDB-C hubs with the M1 and have had no issues. I use an audio interface for most of my music creation so I don't really care too much about the headphone jack. I had a 9.7 pro that I upgraded from and the difference was purely amazing. It was out performing my MacBook Pro 16 in the music app department and convinced me that a MacBook Air could indeed power Logic well and sold the MacBook Pro. But, yes it might be worth hunting down an M1 for a bit less of an outlay. I noticed that the refurbished models through Apple are selling for a decent price. It will be interesting to see what reports the M2 gets in usage world from anyone who might have experienced the M1 already.

• edited October 2022

@zah said:

There is absolutely simple solid reliable solution, wondering that Jakob didn't tried this one as first .. Got feedback from at least 3 people it works like a charm.. i have their USB hub for Macbook Air and also super reliable device.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-6-in-1-hub-for-ipad

• I think he did try that one but it doesn't work so well if you have a cover or case that covers the edges on your iPadPro?!
    (Ie. the hyperdrive is mainly designed for case-less use).

Considering he lackluster audio input/output selection options in iPadOS I'd stay away from 'dongles' with built-in headphone jack as it makes it a real hassle when using an external audio interface.
    (That is one of the reasons I got the LinQ thing as I can just connect the Apple USB-C -> 3.5mm jack to the extra USB-C port when not using an audio-interface and charge at the same time).

Cheers!

• edited October 2022

@Samu
    I think he did try that one but it doesn't work so well if yo

nope he didn't .. he tried similiar one which has fixed that black part visible on my screenshot .. looks same not the same .. this one has removable that black part (at least my model for Macbook Air has it removable, can't verify at the moment if model for iPad has it removable too, but i guess it has) which is big game changer and solves the problem Jakob has with the one he tested)

i use the Macbook model without that black part, so i can fully close display when using external monitor ..

• edited October 2022

yeah confirmed it's removable .. you can use it without that if you use smart cover ..

Also in fact it is even compatible with smart cover :) That's difference between smart product design of originals (Hyperdrive) and cheap product copies (Anker) :)