Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Exquis, a new expressive MPE and CV controller and an app, for under 200€ on Kickstarter

Hi all,
I'm Bruno from the Intuitive Instruments team.
I'm happy to announce our Kickstarter campaign for our new expressive and intuitive MPE + CV controller, and its dedicated while autonomous cross-platform app.
Our Exquis app will be available on iOS and thus will be compatible with Audiobus :-)
We can't wait to release them !
The link to the Kickstarter page

And a test in video by Knarf, chief Editor at the French music making media Les Sondiers.

Comments

• Here is it in image.

• Looks a bit small in the promotional photos I’ve seen. Those with large fingers and hands might want to wait for the “Pro” version… 😂

• @NeuM said:
    Looks a bit small in the promotional photos I’ve seen. Those with large fingers and hands might want to wait for the “Pro” version… 😂

The keys are larger than our previous products, and I can confirm it's the best size. If it would be bigger, you would have a launchpad touch feeling, and our instrument is much more than that, because it's dedicated to make chords and melody. Once you get the habit, like any traditional instrument, you can really develop expert gestures with high expressivity and speed.

• What are the dimensions?

Are the notes in each column tuned 5ths apart with the keys in each row tuned in 3rds? I realize it’s a honeycomb and there are no columns and rows, but you know what I mean, I think.

• Hello @Bruno_intutive ,
    The controller looks nice. I'm wondering if it could be used for finger drumming, as a replacement of a launchpad? (I understand that it is not the main purpose of the controller, but I can see some example of that with your Dualo Touch).
    A lot of apps on Ios have similar or complementary features to the app you are developping (Aum, Lk or Loopypro, for instance). Would be interesting to see videos of how Exquis work with these apps, instead of having to use it with a new app.
    Also, the videos give a good idea about the controller, but not so much about the app you are developping.

• This looks very good and produced with a high level of consciousness. Agree that more info on the app would be helpful in the intro video. The price point is excellent, too.

• I’m deffo wondering if this would kill my Linnstrument GAS. The tiers are a bit confusing, I’ve not figured out what app version would be best, seems a bit daft complicating the offer over a non material piece of the product to be honest… is it full mpe, or missing one of the parameters?

• edited October 2022

@Krupa said:
    I’m deffo wondering if this would kill my Linnstrument GAS…

That’s what brought me here too. Although much more expensive, I may continue saving for the smaller linnstrument. Having learned on a keyboard, I’ve recently began learning shapes on GeoShred, which translates to Linnstrument—not in an ergonomics sense — but to some degree I could sus out theory, writing, playing with GeoShred while away from the Linnstrument, which would be quite often. Whereas that honeycomb layout wouldn’t translate, unless it’s the same as Navichord. This is why I was inquiring about dimensions and tuning.
    Also, the Linnstrument has already been refined through several generations.
    Just thinking out loud here.

• @Krupa said:
    I’m deffo wondering if this would kill my Linnstrument GAS.

I always forget how expensive it is. I checked out the page assuming it was roughly $700 and –SLAM– $1,100. No wonder I end up forgetting.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    What are the dimensions?

Are the notes in each column tuned 5ths apart with the keys in each row tuned in 3rds? I realize it’s a honeycomb and there are no columns and rows, but you know what I mean, I think.

Sorry for my late answers, I was a bit busy.
    Dimensions: 32 x 15cm and about 3 cm high (without the knobs) depending on the case material chosen.

Yes you are right:
    Horizontally, in a row, you have semi-tones. Vertically, from one row to the one just under or above, you jump of a third, and you have to go left or right to get a minor or a major third. If you jump two rows, then you can find a key that is vertically aligned with your start key, and you have a perfect fifth. Then if you jump to the next row, you will have a 7th, and you would have to choose the major or the minor one.
    It also means that on the same row of the perfect fifth, you have the augmented and the diminished fifth.

• @SamSamSam said:
    The controller looks nice. I'm wondering if it could be used for finger drumming, as a replacement of a launchpad? (I understand that it is not the main purpose of the controller, but I can see some example of that with your Dualo Touch).

Yes totally. The key are a lot smoother than on a launchpad, but I have seen a few finger drummers saying after a few minutes of playing they get used to it. You can really feel confortable with a percussion playing style and an "melodic and harmonic" playing style.

A lot of apps on Ios have similar or complementary features to the app you are developping (Aum, Lk or Loopypro, for instance). Would be interesting to see videos of how Exquis work with these apps, instead of having to use it with a new app.

Thank you for the names. Definitively a good idea. I'm not sure we will have time to deal with it during the time of the campaign, but really nice videos to make.

Also, the videos give a good idea about the controller, but not so much about the app you are developping.

Yes, you are right. It was a hard decision for us, because the core of the app is already working, and when you see Sergueï playing in the video, it's not fake, he just played the same song a few times with different camera angles.
    Here you can have more info about the app

The design of the app is already at about 75% of completion. But at the time we shoot the video of the campaign, we didn't have a working app with a working UI. We have working prototypes of the UI, and that's what we show in the video.
    We felt it would be too much info to speak about the details of the app inside the Kickstarter campaign. But we will send a Kickstarter news soon to tell more about it.

• @Krupa said:
    I’m deffo wondering if this would kill my Linnstrument GAS. The tiers are a bit confusing, I’ve not figured out what app version would be best, seems a bit daft complicating the offer over a non material piece of the product to be honest… is it full mpe, or missing one of the parameters?

The free lite app will be your best friend to configure and create your custom behaviour of Exquis, so it fits your needs when you use it as a standalone MPE controller, without the app. You will be able to use the app as a musical notepad, but it will have limitations such as only 4 tracks for looping.
    The full version will give you the full experience of our create workflow, that we refine for 15 years, and is acclaimed by our community of previous instruments players. It's something to try. It's intuitive, fast, and allow to concentrate on music and emotion. It's perfect for spontaneous composition as well as live performance.

The Exquis keyboard has two axis of control: pressure and tilt/bend. So it miss the third one of the MPE standard. We decided not to add it because it's very hard to control, I mean to make interesting musical things, and because it would have raised to price a lot, because the multiplication of sensors constraints to change the sensor acquisition technology.

That’s what brought me here too. Although much more expensive, I may continue saving for the smaller linnstrument. Having learned on a keyboard, I’ve recently began learning shapes on GeoShred, which translates to Linnstrument—not in an ergonomics sense — but to some degree I could sus out theory, writing, playing with GeoShred while away from the Linnstrument, which would be quite often. Whereas that honeycomb layout wouldn’t translate, unless it’s the same as Navichord. This is why I was inquiring about dimensions and tuning.
    Also, the Linnstrument has already been refined through several generations.
    Just thinking out loud here.

I don't know already GeoShred and Navichord, but I will have a look at them.
    The only thing I can answer to your thoughts, is that our layout was invented in 2007 and we have already many thousands players using it since our first product, released in 2012.
    Herbie Hancock have tried it and told us "it's one of the smartest keyboard I ever meet". (We didn't used his quote on the KS campaign because nobody of his staff answered us we have the right to use it).
    Music teachers have unprecedented results with our keyboard, and there are already dozens of music school and public school which adopted it in France and in Switzerland.

• edited October 2022

@Bruno_intutive said:
    …The only thing I can answer to your thoughts, is that our layout was invented in 2007 and we have already many thousands players using it since our first product, released in 2012….

Any chance this would happen to be the Lumatone Isomorphic Keyboard?
    I only ask because since visiting your Kickstarter page, Jordan Rudess pops up on my Instagram feed playing a Lumatone, lol.
    Or maybe the Axis 64?

• Linnstrument would seem the better choice for the ability to slide between notes.

Any chance this would happen to be the Lumatone Isomorphic Keyboard?
    I only ask because since visiting your Kickstarter page, Jordan Rudess pops up on my Instagram feed playing a Lumatone, lol.
    Or maybe the Axis 64?

Sorry, I don't catch if there is a question in your answer ;-)