Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro Update Version 1.0.26

App "Loopy Pro: Looper DAW Sampler"

Developer: A Tasty Pixel
URL: https://apps.apple.com/app/loopy-pro-looper-daw-sampler/id1492670451

Minimum OS Version: 12.0
Universal: Yes
Price: Free

DESCRIPTION:

Loopy Pro is a live-looper. And a sampler. And a sequencer. And a very capable AUv3 Audio Unit host. And a DAW. And an AUv3 Audio Unit.

You get the idea. Loopy Pro is deep. But it's also designed to be friendly, and a great deal of fun.

You can set up Loopy Pro to work however you do, with features like hands-free looping with count-in, count-out and automatic loop detection; or "free" looping, where you can choose on-the-fly how long to make loops. There's even retrospective recording, where you can lock in a loop after the fact.

There's extensive MIDI controller support, including built-in support for the Launchpad, the APC40 mk2 and the MIDI Fighter Twister, and effortless MIDI Learn for setting up your controllers.

You can also drag-and-drop audio straight onto loops in Loopy Pro, with sophisticated tempo and pitch adjustments, and use Loopy Pro as a clip launcher, with all kinds of options for song sectioning.

The built-in mixer lets you set up insert and send effects for every channel in your project, and load AUv3 Audio Unit instruments, effects, and MIDI sequencers.

And there's a built-in sequencer, for arranging songs, and even performing them live, totally automated and hands-free.

There's also a great deal still to come.

So, what are you reading this for? Go take Loopy Pro for a spin – there's a 7-day free trial just waiting for you.

Have fun!

• Michael
    loopypro.com

Join other Loopy Pro users on Discord, Facebook or the forums - loopypro.com/communities

Loopy Pro's Pricing Structure:

Loopy Pro has a pricing structure that mimics the classic desktop software model, in order to enable continued development:

• A 7-Day Free Trial, so you can make an informed purchasing decision.
• A one-off In-App Purchase to buy the app: to keep, forever.
– This gets you permanent access to all current features, and all those added in the following 12 months.
– It also gets you bug and compatibility fixes for the lifetime of the app.
• A completely optional "Upgrade" In-App Purchase, available any time from 12 months after initial purchase, to buy the latest features and all those released in the following 12 months, to keep forever. Upgrade once, or every year, or just when there's a new feature you want, or never upgrade after the initial purchase – it's completely up to you. And you keep what you buy, forever.
• This will allow Loopy Pro to continue evolving for years to come, while letting me support my family.

RELEASE NOTES: Version 1.0.26

See what's coming next in Loopy Pro, help guide development and follow specific features at LP's roadmap: roadmap.loopypro.com

• Added “Seek Timeline” action
  • Fixed issue with multiple XY pads addressing the same AUv3 instance
  • Added instrument and MIDI AUv3 parameter support to XY pads
  • Improvements to Ableton Link outward sync when recording first loop or bridging from incoming MIDI clock
  • Improved filenames when exporting recordings
  • Improved tempo estimate for imported files
  • Added UI to re-join Link tempo after clock tempo has been reset
  • Added more stopping points to quantization slider
  • Fixed issue with free loops coming in at incorrect position after clock count-in
  • Fixed loop alignment issue when using overdub-after-record mode
  • Fixed zipper noise when adjusting volume sliders
  • Fixed a crash when loading some projects
  • Fixed an issue with “Finish Record” follow actions on the first loop that sets the tempo
  • Fixed issue with sequence recording of ‘stop’ play actions being interpreted as ‘play’ action
  • Fixed audio artefacts when removing the only send to a bus
  • Fixed “Combined Input” recording with non-monitored sources
  • Fixed issue with stuck notes when muting MIDI sources
  • Fixed a possible crash when setting buffer duration
  • Fixed a crash which could occur when switching projects with MIDI sources
  • Fixed issue with tempo slider randomly entering fine adjustment mode
  • Fixed a number of memory leaks
  • Fixed a rare crash when auto-saving with AUv3 effects

Comments

• Crossing my fingers Keyboard Shortcuts will be shipped next year! 🤞

• @Kites said:
    Crossing my fingers Keyboard Shortcuts will be shipped next year! 🤞

Me too, since I own an Apple pad keyboard. Thanks for your great work , @Michael

• edited October 2022

Haven't checked roadmap recently, how's multi-in and multi-out for AU looking? I think my ideal workflow would be hosting LPro in AUM.

• I’m kind of out of the loopy loop but is there any idea so far on when midi loops might become a reality?

• I guess 'Midi Clips' with Notes, Multiple CCs and AUParamter recording/automations per clip etc. with option to overdub and edit the recorded data is somewhere on the roadmap?!

Currently I'm spending most of my time with LogicPro on my Mac using the iPad as a sketchpad/sound-module so I'l also out of the Loopy Pro Loop :sunglasses:
    (For me it's more economical this way as I don't have to get apps for features that are already present in LogicPro).

Cheers!

• @dobbs @Samu
    Hoping midi clips are in the near future but currently using Atom Piano Roll 2 in Loopy Pro has been a lot of fun.
    Definitely built in integration of midi functionality would be ideal but I have a feeling that it maybe part of a paid update/ v2 release.

• Yes @Samu it’s an item on Michaels roadmap website

I’ll have to give the atom/loopy combo a chance, so far I’ve kind of put off learning Loopy and when I wanted to loop I just used L7…

• Michael has been working like a dog
    Beta updates almost weekly / sometimes daily
    The man is a machine
    I am sure his aim is to please everyone , I guess we all just need to be patience
    If anyone can do it Michael can

• Yer we all can’t wait for midi clips. Gonna be great.

• Whilst we wait for midi loops, atom2 works great in hold mode with play and stop follow actions. Only thing holding it back is the unpredictable order of play and stop within groups of clips, otherwise it’d be pretty perfect.

Here’s a link to a simple loopy template I made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wXKrAOInBro0FhXinmKuxUuVTrahxLpt/view?usp=drivesdk

It’s got 6 groups of dummy donuts (A-F) with 4 donuts in each group (1-4).

There’s also 6 instances of atom2, each with 4 patterns.

Each donut launches the corresponding atom and switches to the corresponding pattern within, eg. donut B3 will launch atom B and switch to pattern 3.

If you play around with switching clips, you’ll probably find the issue I’m talking about, where an atom stops unexpectedly.

Let me know what you think.

• Have non-time-stretched loops been implemented? I couldn't find anything in the changelog or roadmap, though I'm pretty sure it was there at some point

• @Grandbear said:
    Have non-time-stretched loops been implemented? I couldn't find anything in the changelog or roadmap, though I'm pretty sure it was there at some point

Yeah you can toggle time stretch on and off per clip

• @gregsmith said:

@Grandbear said:
    Have non-time-stretched loops been implemented? I couldn't find anything in the changelog or roadmap, though I'm pretty sure it was there at some point

And globally.

• @gregsmith said:

@Grandbear said:

Thanks! I'll give that a try

• @gregsmith said:
    Whilst we wait for midi loops, atom2 works great in hold mode with play and stop follow actions. Only thing holding it back is the unpredictable order of play and stop within groups of clips, otherwise it’d be pretty perfect.

Here’s a link to a simple loopy template I made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wXKrAOInBro0FhXinmKuxUuVTrahxLpt/view?usp=drivesdk

It’s got 6 groups of dummy donuts (A-F) with 4 donuts in each group (1-4).

There’s also 6 instances of atom2, each with 4 patterns.

Each donut launches the corresponding atom and switches to the corresponding pattern within, eg. donut B3 will launch atom B and switch to pattern 3.

If you play around with switching clips, you’ll probably find the issue I’m talking about, where an atom stops unexpectedly.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you for sharing.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@Grandbear said:

And globally.

It seems like I'm misunderstanding the setting; if I disable time stretch on a clip and then reduce the playback speed, the pitch seems to be preserved, which I understand as "time stretching". I was expecting the pitch to be lowered, as if I was reducing the playback speed on a tape machine.

• @Grandbear said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@Grandbear said:

And globally.

It seems like I'm misunderstanding the setting; if I disable time stretch on a clip and then reduce the playback speed, the pitch seems to be preserved, which I understand as "time stretching". I was expecting the pitch to be lowered, as if I was reducing the playback speed on a tape machine.

The time-stretch setting determines whether loopy time stretches clips when the tempo is changed. It isn’t related to what happens when pitch-shifting.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Grandbear said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@Grandbear said:

And globally.

The time-stretch setting determines whether loopy time stretches clips when the tempo is changed. It isn’t related to what happens when pitch-shifting.

Got it, thanks for the explanation!

• wimwim
    edited October 2022

@joniqwest said:
    Definitely built in integration of midi functionality would be ideal but I have a feeling that it maybe part of a paid update/ v2 release.

Just by way of clarification...

The model doesn't work like that. There are no IAPs for features and there won't be any V2, etc. releases. Loopy will continue to develop as a single product. Each 12 months from the time of purchase there will be an option to pay for another 12 months of updates. If you elect not to pay, you keep the product just as-is, only missing out on new updates. If / when you do opt-in for another 12 months of updates, you get 'em all.

The roadmap gives an idea of the features in progress, but doesn't give estimates of when they will arrive. It does give you the opportunity to vote on priorities and to propose additions.

• MIDI Looping currently is in status "Planned" and has the highest number of upvotes by more than 2x of the other planned features. However, it's also probably one of the biggest effort requests, which of course affects the priority.

• I think the following is a fair characterization of the situation with MIDI Looping and some other high priority items. This is my between-the-lines reading of things and I hope it isn't out of line for me to share my tea leaf reading.

Things have taken a bit longer to get to its current state than anticipated -- in large part because there have turned out to be quite a few OS and hardware surprises that have required a lot of time to workaround while preserving Michael's desire to have it work well even on some pretty old devices. It turns out that there are all kinds of unexpected weirdnesses that have come to light that took a lot of work find solutions for. One example: some devices that allow sample rate switching behave very differently from each other and some of the OS calls don't properly deal with the situation [some hardware seems to be really always be at 48k but fakes 44.1k and returns some strange timestamps -- and different hardware does it differently]. Unlike most iOS sound apps, Loopy can be master or slave and making that work solidly has been tricky thanks to some of the issues like the one I just mentioned. Add to that getting more real-life data about MIDI Clock jitter and the many ways that AUv3 implement specs, has added up to there being more work than anticipated.

Also, being out in the world and getting feedback from lots of people (side note: with apps like this open betas provide a lot less information than you might think) necessitated making adjustments to make Loopy responsive to people's needs and use cases.

Anyway, Loopy is a really ambitious project -- more ambitious than might seem at first or second glance.

My sideline view is that rather than come up with hack fixes as issues come up, Michael has taken the long view to make the framework flexible and future proof and solid.

WIth projects this big, it is really hard to estimate how long it will take to implement things (especially when it turns out that the hardware and OS have many surprises).

Anyway, I know that MIDI Looping is important to Michael along with some other high priority items -- and I think knowing how long it will take to implement them is really hard to know.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Anyway, I know that MIDI Looping is important to Michael along with some other high priority items -- and I think knowing how long it will take to implement them is really hard to know.

Plus (IMO) not only is it next to impossible to commit to timelines that aren't complete guesses, it's also a no-win scenario. People take estimates as "promises" and get pissed off when they're inevitably missed. Or, they get pissed off because the developer estimates longer than expected timelines, either because they're being realistic and it just takes that long or in the effort to minimize missed dates. Or, features get short-changed in the effort to squeeze them into those time frames. Or the developer takes the pressure on themselves, sacrifices their family life, and burns themselves out.

It's just not worth it. That roadmap is an amazing step toward as much transparency and feedback as possible. But I'm totally glad that it doesn't include time estimates. And I hope it never does.

(Hey ... just a note ... the above comment isn't meant as a retort to anyone who's asked about timeframes. It's just my own standalone musing.)

• @auxmux said:
    Haven't checked roadmap recently, how's multi-in and multi-out for AU looking? I think my ideal workflow would be hosting LPro in AUM.

Already built, just waiting for some other bits before I push out 1.1

• And yeah, MIDI loops are a massive priority, but I'm spread relatively thin at the moment working on other things which are also a big priority – like the Mac/VST version, reverse/time effects and overdub feedback, as well as general ongoing bugfixes/improvements. It won't be very long, but it won't be next week either, as much as I'd like it to be!

• @wim
    Thanks !
    MIDI Clips will be huge and I am sure imho it is a pretty serious undertaking. Feels like a major “Version upgrade” if Loopy Pro followed the more common update/IAP path. Either way if anyone is on the fence about LP not having midi clips please dont let that stop you from getting LP. Atom Piano Roll 2 is a great option until MIDI clips are released.

@wim said:

@joniqwest said:

Just by way of clarification...

The model doesn't work like that. There are no IAPs for features and there won't be any V2, etc. releases. Loopy will continue to develop as a single product. Each 12 months from the time of purchase there will be an option to pay for another 12 months of updates. If you elect not to pay, you keep the product just as-is, only missing out on new updates. If / when you do opt-in for another 12 months of updates, you get 'em all.

The roadmap gives an idea of the features in progress, but doesn't give estimates of when they will arrive. It does give you the opportunity to vote on priorities and to propose additions.

• @Michael said:

@auxmux said:

Already built, just waiting for some other bits before I push out 1.1

Excellent, thanks a lot @Michael!

• wimwim
    edited October 2022

@joniqwest said:
    @wim
    Thanks !
    MIDI Clips will be huge and I am sure imho it is a pretty serious undertaking. Feels like a major “Version upgrade” if Loopy Pro followed the more common update/IAP path. Either way if anyone is on the fence about LP not having midi clips please dont let that stop you from getting LP. Atom Piano Roll 2 is a great option until MIDI clips are released.

Drambo ain't half bad as a midi looper inside Loopy either. LK too, I imagine, though I haven't really tried more than just a light test or two.

The funny thing is, as the creative flow released by committing to audio right away took hold for me, I've barely looked back at midi looping. The idea of having all those midi clips sitting around tempting for me to obsess over tweaking them to perfection seems kind of ... impure in a way. I miss it less and less all the time.

• @wim said:

@joniqwest said:
    @wim
    Thanks !

Drambo ain't half bad as a midi looper inside Loopy either. LK too, I imagine, though I haven't really tried more than just a light test or two.

The funny thing is, as the creative flow released by committing to audio right away took hold for me, I've barely looked back at midi looping. The idea of having all those midi clips sitting around tempting for me to obsess over tweaking them to perfection seems kind of ... impure in a way. I miss it less and less all the time.

You've always been a fun-damentalist, bless you :)

• edited October 2022

@Michael is a genius & dedicated & great guy …yada,yada,yada …
    but I really don’t understand this need for midisequencing within the app that cannot already be achieved with
    Atom2 , LK , Drambo or others .
    & no disrespect to @Michael , but what makes people think his first attempt at coding a midisequencer is somehow going to better what is currently available from devs who have many years of midi sequencer coding under their belt (or anytime soon)

I’m still waiting for the audioside of things to get done , along with the midicontrol of it ( Mackie Control request ) ,
    & for the damn manual to be finished before I consider handing over my money .
    For all the updates we are yet to reach 1.1 ! & I notice there are way more “fixed” than “added” in each update .
    The roadmap & user votes is useful input , but I hope @Michael has the sense to ignore midisequencing requests
    until the main functionality of audiolooping is finished & rock solid .

Everyone praises IOS for its modularity , but everyone wants each app to do everything ,
    with talented devs all working their socks off covering the same ground , for an ever thinner spread of the financial reward .
    sigh .