Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ongaku, new West Coast generative synth by Giorgio Sancristoforo

edited June 2022 in Desktop

Giorsio Sancristoforo, the Igor Vasiliev of the desktop world, has released his new synth, Ongaku.

Inspired by his previous Bentō, this adds West Coast type controls for creating generative drones.

Giving that contrary to Bentō, this actually includes English texts, it's much more approachable. Also, I will buy any synth including West Coast in its description.

Like in all Giorgio Sancristoforo's previous releases, this runs only as a standalone app, so you need to use something like Blackhole or Loopback to route the audio to your DAW.

At the moment it's only in Mac. And it's M1 native, for those using the new Macs.

But a Windows version is coming in the next few weeks.

Here is a tutorial video in which Giorgio Sancristoforo explains the controls, and demo some of the presets. It sounds bananas.

https://youtu.be/5EKm68SDZsc

I will wait to see if Giorgio makes a discounted bundle with all his apps like the last Summer (it was priced at 70 euros). If not, I will pick this individually in September.

Comments

• I am totally down for this and champing at the bit for the windows version. I will buy it as soon as it's available! It looks like it will be a perfect accompaniment to bento. It looks quite similar to the reaktor synth 'thermo' which is also a LOT of fun! Anyway This will no doubt be slotting right into my workflow.

• Ugh for a second I got excited and thought Giorgio was coming to iOS 😞
    This does look like a very interesting little box of fun though, I jus wish he would make them as plug-ins rather than standalone

• I already emailed him this morning asking is there a chance he’d IPad these; I got a swift reply saying that it’s not possible. A real shame as they would fit so nicely into tablet workflow…

• @sevenape said:
    I am totally down for this and champing at the bit for the windows version. I will buy it as soon as it's available! It looks like it will be a perfect accompaniment to bento. It looks quite similar to the reaktor synth 'thermo' which is also a LOT of fun! Anyway This will no doubt be slotting right into my workflow.

All the Giorgio Sancristoforo apps has been released initially for Mac because he doesn't use Windows. A friend of him compile and test the releases for Windows. And normally, in a maximum or a month, they are available. So hopefully, you won't need to wait too much :)

• @Krupa said:
    I already emailed him this morning asking is there a chance he’d IPad these; I got a swift reply saying that it’s not possible. A real shame as they would fit so nicely into tablet workflow…

Zero possibilities of an iPad version, he's using Cycling '74 Max for creating all his apps. Unless Cycling '74 actually includes the option to create iOS builds, or some external developer creates a compiler. Never say never!

• @Pynchon said:

@Krupa said:
    I already emailed him this morning asking is there a chance he’d IPad these; I got a swift reply saying that it’s not possible. A real shame as they would fit so nicely into tablet workflow…

Zero possibilities of an iPad version, he's using Cycling '74 Max for creating all his apps. Unless Cycling '74 actually includes the option to create iOS builds, or some external developer creates a compiler. Never say never!

Ah that makes sense, good to know 👍👍

• It's odd that these are using Max. He should release Max for live versions so they could be used inside Ableton. Standalone isn't appealing.

• Hey, @sevenape , the Windows version is already available :smile:

I'm anger to listen your first video with this.

• edited July 2022

@Pynchon said:

@Krupa said:

It is possible - you can export Max patch into JUCE and there you are, you can compile is as iOS native app..
    One of reasons why i keep telling people who are asking how to start with iOS app coding - forget Audiokit and learn C++/JUCE. Best available framework which actually learns developer to use good habits during coding (casue that's only way how to do working C++ app lol)

• @Pynchon said:
    Hey, @sevenape , the Windows version is already available :smile:

I did one!! I hope you like it

• @sevenape said:

@Pynchon said:

Wow, amazing piece. Really impressed with how expressive Ongaku sounds.

I can see a complete record using Ongaku as the only instrument.

• @Pynchon said:

@sevenape said:

@Pynchon said:

Wow, amazing piece. Really impressed with how expressive Ongaku sounds.

I can see a complete record using Ongaku as the only instrument.

Thank you so much!!! I totally agree you could do a whole ongaku album, like the classic buchla concert albums.

• “A.I.”-assisted amp modeling is coming soon from IK Multimedia. I’m betting we’ll soon see more organic means to create synthesized sounds using A.I. modeling as well.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/aimachinemodeling/

• @sevenape said:

@Pynchon said:

Great sounds. I picked this up, also. It is fun to record a session and drop it into the samplers in Voltage Modular and chop it up. I could lose hours.

• edited July 2022

@NeuM said:
    “A.I.”-assisted amp modeling is coming soon from IK Multimedia. I’m betting we’ll soon see more organic means to create synthesized sounds using A.I. modeling as well.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/aimachinemodeling/

What does this thread have to do with AI amp modelling?

• @gusgranite said:

@sevenape said:

@Pynchon said:

Great sounds. I picked this up, also. It is fun to record a session and drop it into the samplers in Voltage Modular and chop it up. I could lose hours.

Thanks! Yeah I think it’s amazing sample fodder! It’s really easy to lose hours tweaking this and that!

• Ongaku is the gift that keeps on giving / sessions with it feel like no other and the happy accident potential is off the charts.

• @sevenape : great work! You are making me want to go back to my MacBook for this. Must… resist…

• Closest thing on iOS must be Synthscaper? I do not have a Macbook and want to buy a similar iOS app the suppress the urge of buying a new laptop for a VST.

• BTW, is it "generative" or difficult to predict? It may sounds like an annoying question, but there is a difference. Generative is a random sequencer in my head, unpredictable, random, A super complex synth is difficult to predict but not generative.

Am I correct of thinking like that?

I have a feeling that the word generative is used left and right but not always in the correct situation.

• edited July 2022

@Montreal_Music said:
    BTW, is it "generative" or difficult to predict? It may sounds like an annoying question, but there is a difference. Generative is a random sequencer in my head, unpredictable, random, A super complex synth is difficult to predict but not generative.

Am I correct of thinking like that?

I have a feeling that the word generative is used left and right but not always in the correct situation.

Hm im not sure now. The dev describes it as probabilistic. You have a clock then a probabilistic clock divider for each pair of synths and then each synth has its own dedicated probabilistic clock divider.

The volume of each synth can be set to random values as can envelope, octave, delay time, feedback, volume for each synth and fold.

Now I’m not sure exactly how random or whatever it is but the dev himself mentions generative in the descriptions he does, but umm yeah… I dunno!

• @Proppa said:
    Ongaku is the gift that keeps on giving / sessions with it feel like no other and the happy accident potential is off the charts.

Definitely! It’s really fun and rewarding to play with! You feel like a sonic explorer at the controls and yeah, so many happy accidents!

@Svetlovska said:
    @sevenape : great work! You are making me want to go back to my MacBook for this. Must… resist…

Thank you very much! It’s a great synth!

@Montreal_Music said:
    Closest thing on iOS must be Synthscaper? I do not have a Macbook and want to buy a similar iOS app the suppress the urge of buying a new laptop for a VST.

Hmm in terms of exploring and playing with sounds maybe thermo or fundamental!? They aren’t exactly the same of course, but I feel the same spirit is there.

• Woha! this looks like my Japanese dream. iOS oh man yes it would be more intimate u know that feeling holding a synth in your hands knowing your the master of the universe ( at that particular time) haha

• @oceansinspace said:
    Woha! this looks like my Japanese dream. iOS oh man yes it would be more intimate u know that feeling holding a synth in your hands knowing your the master of the universe ( at that particular time) haha

Hahaha I know what you mean! I have it running on an old windows tablet... Perfect for lap use sitting in the lotus position on a mountain top, communing with the secret forces of the universe... (or lying down on my sofa after work)

• edited August 2022

this has become my favorite synth for nice beautiful haunting surprises. I just love this thing. So much complexity from simple parameters, probabilities and cross modulation!

Going to dive into Bento next.

• Wish it was for IOS still I can try and manifest.

• @gkillmaster said:
    this has become my favorite synth for nice beautiful haunting surprises. I just love this thing. So much complexity from simple parameters, probabilities and cross modulation!

Going to dive into Bento next.

Yes I agree it’s a beautiful instrument! Bento is a different beast! It’s the closest thing to no input mixing on a computer I’ve heard which is impressive.

• Just downloaded this - reminds me of some of the more esoteric community Reaktor ensembles...

• hi folks! for those that might have missed it in the creations subforum, i've pre-released soundjoy, an Ongaku inspired Drambo project:

https://patchstorage.com/soundjoy/

@sevenape has a couple of nice demo vids here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/52307/soundjoy-by-bangzero-a-wonderful-patch-for-drambo-and-a-demo-of-just-a-little-of-what-it-can-do

more soundjoy talk in that topic for interested folks. enjoy! /dan

• @bangzero said:
    hi folks! for those that might have missed it in the creations subforum, i've pre-released soundjoy, an Ongaku inspired Drambo project:

https://patchstorage.com/soundjoy/

@sevenape has a couple of nice demo vids here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/52307/soundjoy-by-bangzero-a-wonderful-patch-for-drambo-and-a-demo-of-just-a-little-of-what-it-can-do

more soundjoy talk in that topic for interested folks. enjoy! /dan

Great patch, thanks a lot for this