Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Unfiltered Audio Bass Mint iOS Public Beta

Hi everyone! This is Michael Hetrick, one half of Unfiltered Audio. I'm happy to announce that our code library is now fully compatible with iOS, and we will begin releasing AUv3 ports of our latest plugins.

We are starting off with a public beta of Bass Mint, our low frequency enhancing and shaping tool. We have started with this one because it is the most straightforward to use with touch. Once we get this to a stable place, we will port over lo-fi-af, Silo, Needlepoint, and Tails (each of which might need some minor adjustments for touch interfaces). For our plugins before Bass Mint, we are working on a new modulation system that we hope will work wonderfully for mouse- and touch-based interfaces, but no timeline on that just yet.

Anyway, here's the TestFlight link! https://testflight.apple.com/join/iXqS1jCk

We've tested all the fundamentals (i.e. preset save/load, project save/load, automation, sample rates, etc.) but there will likely be some iOS workflow specific things that we have missed. Please post all feedback and bug reports here (instead of via email), and we will post bug fixes as quickly as possible!

Comments

• edited October 2022

Awesome, thanks! I just got into your desktop plug-ins last week so this is exciting

• Amazing! Welcome Michael @trickyflemming! Big fan of everything UA, as well as your modules on VCV. Looking forward to testing and getting these on iOS.

• edited October 2022

@trickyflemming I have installed from the Testflight link. I can start the app in stand alone mode. But I cannot see the app listed in either Cubasis or AUM when trying to add an AUv3, I have tried both as an audio generator, and as an audio fx but cannot see it in either list

• Comes in ok for me in Audiobus and AUM but UI doesn’t resize (on iPhone).

• edited October 2022

Hi Michael, Love to see your plugins coming in iOS! I`m using them since the early days with sandman, hope you can port sandman pro too!

• bigups Michael:) the time has come:)

• @AndyPlankton said:
    @trickyflemming I have installed from the Testflight link. I can start the app in stand alone mode. But I cannot see the app listed in either Cubasis or AUM when trying to add an AUv3, I have tried both as an audio generator, and as an audio fx but cannot see it in either list

Try restarting your iPad. Appears as audio fx in AUM.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Comes in ok for me in Audiobus and AUM but UI doesn’t resize (on iPhone).

Thanks for the heads up! I just realized that I tested almost exclusively on iPad, so I'll look into this right away.

• Yep
    iPhone 11 iOS 15

Stand-alone really small and doesn’t resize
    Will try on iPad later
    Thanks

• Welcome Michael @trickyflemming always happy to hear about new music apps and app’s being ported to iOS. Thanks for sharing the beta, I’ll give it a spin.

• amazing!! cant wait for Silo @trickyflemming

and also thank you guys for providing standalone native silicon installers on pa. -all other plugins+pa manager still require rosetta- so thanks!

• Welcome to IOS @trickyflemming and thank you for the beta!! I was wondering if Audio Unit support was added for Beatmaker 3?

• Hey everyone- thanks for the feedback and support. Just writing my first message on this forum as the other half of Unfiltered. We'll start taking a look at the sizing issues. Cheers.

• @auxmux said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Try restarting your iPad. Appears as audio fx in AUM.

Good shout. I always forget that little nugget. All sorted

• @amusesmile said:
    Hey everyone- thanks for the feedback and support. Just writing my first message on this forum as the other half of Unfiltered. We'll start taking a look at the sizing issues. Cheers.

Thank you and welcome to IOS!!

• A nice selection of apps potentially coming to iOS, big welcome to you! I have most of them on desktop thanks to Plugin Alliance so this is excellent news.

This plugin is one of the few I don’t have unfortunately so I can’t test this aspect of it, but do the iOS and desktop versions of the plugin share the same AU plugin identifier (question to @amusesmile or @trickyflemming I guess!)? It is useful to have them the same as it means that projects move more smoothly between iOS and desktop DAWs. For example, MultiTrackStudio iOS/desktop opens projects in either direction and of course GarageBand projects can be opened in GB or Logic on the Mac. If the plugin IDs don’t match then you get an error and have to manually load the equivalent desktop plugin after opening the project at the destination. This is not a big issue really at the moment, but as you have a clean slate on iOS then it may save you work further down the line if we finally get Logic on iPads and sharing projects between iOS and desktop becomes more commonplace.

• Heck yeah! Cant wait for Lo-Fi-Af and Needlepoint!

• Fault and Sandman are favorites of mine on desktop, Please port these! I wouldn't mind an iOS LION or BYOME either.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    A nice selection of apps potentially coming to iOS, big welcome to you! I have most of them on desktop thanks to Plugin Alliance so this is excellent news.

This plugin is one of the few I don’t have unfortunately so I can’t test this aspect of it, but do the iOS and desktop versions of the plugin share the same AU plugin identifier (question to @amusesmile or @trickyflemming I guess!)? It is useful to have them the same as it means that projects move more smoothly between iOS and desktop DAWs. For example, MultiTrackStudio iOS/desktop opens projects in either direction and of course GarageBand projects can be opened in GB or Logic on the Mac. If the plugin IDs don’t match then you get an error and have to manually load the equivalent desktop plugin after opening the project at the destination. This is not a big issue really at the moment, but as you have a clean slate on iOS then it may save you work further down the line if we finally get Logic on iPads and sharing projects between iOS and desktop becomes more commonplace.

Yep! The iOS projects are generated using the same metadata as our Win/Mac projects, so the AU plugin identifier will be the same.

• Definitely want Lion and Triad for iOS too. 😄 Bass Mint is looking and sounding good so far.

• Stoked for this, UA are some of my favourite desktop plugins. Only tested briefly but works great in Drambo so far.
    So excited for Lo-Fi, Silo and Lion to make there way over to iOS eventually.

• Silo on iOS would be a religious experience, incredible news!

• @FedorTkachev said:
    Silo on iOS would be a religious experience, incredible news!

Awesome- it's up for this batch of releases since it's the same library as Bass-Mint, Tails, and Needlepoint. The others will come but may need to go as V2s or who knows. Is the Silo interface as it exists friendly enough for iOS? I worry it's too large.

• edited October 2022

Wow, loving this plugin!. Sounds grrreat!. Thanks for porting this and I hope there’s a lot more coming, very impressed with the quality so far. Welcome @trickyflemming and @amusesmile !
    My request for iOS would be “Fault”. There’s a need for good pitch shifters on iOS and from the video, “Fault” looks like the real deal and covers a huge range. I’m personally interested in just straightforward octave-down that tracks well and sounds natural.
    Cheers!

• edited October 2022

@trickyflemming @amusesmile
    Hi. I used the beta version of Bass-Mint app.
    I’m not an English speaker, sorry if my writing is not correct.

@trickyflemming said:
    Anyway, here's the TestFlight link! https://testflight.apple.com/join/iXqS1jCk

Please post all feedback and bug reports here (instead of via email), and we will post bug fixes as quickly as possible!

My poor English reading comprehension doesn't know what 'here' refers to. So I’m not sure whether you want beta testers to send feedback through TestFlight app or post feedback in this thread. TestFlight app’s feedback feature has an 'email' icon, so for now I’ll post my feedback in this thread.

One bug or multi-touch issue(?)
    How to reproduce the bug
    Anywhere in the screen of Bass-Mint app is tapped and held by a finger.
    In that state, if ‘Default’ of the current preset name is tapped with another finger, and then ‘Factory Presets’ is tapped, ‘Factory Presets’ will flicker/blink at high speed.
    In that state, the presets list cannot be erased without selecting some preset. In other words, preset selection cannot be canceled.
    In that state, if a finger tapped and held anywhere on the screen of Bass-Mint then another finger tapped elsewhere on the screen of Bass-Mint, the presets list disappears. In other words, preset selection can be canceled.
    And the presets list display disappears by pressing a X button in the window of Bass-Mint in AUM app and tapping Bass-Mint icon for the existing node. And by tapping iPad’s hardware/virtual home button in standalone mode and then returning to Bass-Mint app.
    (EDITED)
    If Bass-Mint is stand-alone, pressing the hardware/virtual home button on iPad and then returning to Bass-Mint app screen will already automatically close the preset/bank browser display that could not be closed by normal operation.

@trickyflemming said:
    but there will likely be some iOS workflow specific things that we have missed.

I think the flickering may only be a problem for some users. In my case, I hold and support my iPad with my left hand fingers, and it touches iPad screen unintentionally. When I operate iPad with my right hand finger in that state, that multi-touch by right and left hand fingers occurs and that causes the bank name to flicker.

One UI issue
    When entering parameters with numbers from a virtual keyboard instead of knobs, the bottom of the font of value and the decimal point are slightly hidden and hard to read a little. It would be better to have more space around the font so that the font is displayed correctly.

Two suggestions
    -After selecting a preset from the presets list, I would prefer that the presets list remain on the screen instead of being automatically erased. If I want to try out different presets in Bass-Mint app as an audition, or if I mistakenly select a preset that is not what I intended, it would be hard to go back to the list and select the bank again each time.

-I think it would be better if the list of presets scrolled in proportion to the amount of finger sliding, rather than using △▽ buttons.

However, it may be too costly to develop a layout and UI dedicated to each platform for PC and iOS versions of Bass-Mint. (I thought so, although I have no knowledge of software development.) So I have no problem at all if these two suggestions are rejected.

My environment
    iPadPro10.5
    iPadOS14.8.1

• It's great to have this plugin on iPad ! Congratulations !
    first tests are ok here In AUM, playbeat 3 as source
    iPad 6eme gen, version 14.7.1

I can't wait to add Silo to my ipad library ! B)

• @trickyflemming said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Thanks for the heads up! I just realized that I tested almost exclusively on iPad, so I'll look into this right away.

Thanks for fixing this so fast. 👍🏻

• This is great news, love UA on desktop. Will be so rad to have on iOS!

• @Zerozerozero said:

@trickyflemming said:

@Zerozerozero said:

Thanks for fixing this so fast. 👍🏻

Was resizing yesterday but doesn’t seem to be today…?