Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New toy in collection, new jam. Korg EMX, The Almighty Blue

edited October 2022 in Hardware

Comments

• edited October 2022

I’m definitely jelly. Lol. Those tubes look so cool at the top too. Just love the overall aesthetic and sound.

• Dope as hell track too, well done.

• Great jam and what a machine, too!

• Sounds good and what a good-looking instrument :-)

• Congrats! I love mine too 😁

• thanks guys .. yeah, it's lovely machine, even looking at it without using is pleasant :-) hope one day i manage catch also the red one :-)

• Haha, I have the red ESX-1 and I hope to get my hands on the blue too! :D

• Had an EM-1 back in the day, man I miss that thing… enjoy the EMX!!

• Ordered better tubes today, will record some examples before / after change .. pretty curious if there will be difference (it should be less noisy and more warm overdrive in low spectrum)

• awesome track. :heart: Love the EMX :love:
    Curious what the tube change will bring. Thought about doing it to mine, but afraid to do so :lol:

• Awesome jam! I picked up an ESX-1 a few weeks ago but I’m nowhere near as far along with it as you are with the MX. Maybe someday we can have an Audiobus Forum Electribe contest!

• @senhorlampada said:
    awesome track. :heart: Love the EMX :love:
    Curious what the tube change will bring. Thought about doing it to mine, but afraid to do so :lol:

It's easy change ... by default there are 12AX7EH - you just unplug them and put there other .. by replacing them for ECC83 , people state that you should get less noise and more warm overdrive (less "distortion" feeling and bore round bass spectrum) .. dunno if it's just placebo, just out of curiosity ordered them and will make som compare before/after :)

• @jrjulius said:
    Maybe someday we can have an Audiobus Forum Electribe contest!

Yes that would be pretty cool !

• @dendy said:

@senhorlampada said:

It's easy change ... by default there are 12AX7EH - you just unplug them and put there other .. by replacing them for ECC83 , people state that you should get less noise and more warm overdrive (less "distortion" feeling and bore round bass spectrum) .. dunno if it's just placebo, just out of curiosity ordered them and will make som compare before/after :)

12AX7 (US) and ECC83 (EU) are actually the same: https://www.ampvalves.co.uk/12ax7-valve/
    But new ones might give you a better sound.

I have a EMX, unfortunately the sensors under the rubber buttons have become unresponsive.

• edited October 2022

@R_2 said:

@dendy said:

@senhorlampada said:

12AX7 (US) and ECC83 (EU) are actually the same: https://www.ampvalves.co.uk/12ax7-valve/
    But new ones might give you a better sound.

I have Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH in it and the ones i ordered are JJ Electronic ECC83S - friend of mine told me he switched to exactly those and sound was improved .. we will see, definitely will report if there is any difference, will record some examples ..

pretty opened to possibility it's all just placebo :lol:

• edited October 2022

@R_2 said:
    I have a EMX, unfortunately the sensors under the rubber buttons have become unresponsive.

did you try just clean up then ? maybe there is just collected lot of dust between button and rubber cap ..

also if ALL of them are totally unresponsible it may be that just cable between main board and control board is disconnected (but int that case there will be also no-light on them)

• @dendy I remember opening it years ago. Hoping I could easily lift the rubber and clean under it (like with tv remote). But think I stopped after finding out it wasn’t that simple.. (see 1:45)
    I should give it another try when I got some time (but rather play with Gadget nowadays :))

• @R_2 I have an issue with my ER-1 that i'm not sure if is related to yours (cause-wise)
    But the wheel jumps positions. Read lots of hacks and fixes, but didn't give them a try yet :lol:

@dendy thanks for the info on the tubes. Just checked them locally and they are expensive here :tongue:
    Converting the currency, would be 50 USD each

• edited October 2022

Here old tubes vs new tubes .. just enable youtube subtitles to see what is playing

mine tubes were around 15€ per one .. JJ Electronics ECC83S

• I changed the tubes as well back when I had one of these. The difference was subtle, but definitely there. Hardest part was level matching the two, the trim pots were not that accurate if I remember right.

• edited October 2022

@Tarekith said:
    I changed the tubes as well back when I had one of these. The difference was subtle, but definitely there. Hardest part was level matching the two, the trim pots were not that accurate if I remember right.

I didn't go through matching procedure on electribe (too lazy to make needed cable for procedure lol) but i totally don't hear any difference between left/right channel even on 100% drive so probalbly mine are matched good enough :)))

But now i have BIG problem. I urgently need also ESX :lol: :lol: It feels like uncomplete setup now :lol:

GAS is horrible disease :(((

• @dendy said:
    I urgently need also ESX :lol: :lol: It feels like uncomplete setup now :lol:

Ha! ESX owner here, still loving it over a decade later. 4 things to temper the GAS before buying- same kinda nasty stock tubes, the AD converters for sampling are crap (especially in 2022 terms), sample editing (looping, trimming) sucks & you’ll need a memory card (doesn’t matter which version you get).

Prep your samples in anything other than the ESX then save them to the card for importing. Save your sanity.

One thing the manual mentions briefly is that the ESX is compatible with sample rates less than the usual 16bit, 44.1khz. Exploit that by using old hip hop techniques like tune your sample an octave up, save as a 12bit 32.5khz wav/aiff, import, then pitch it back down an octave. You’ll not only optimise storage in the ESX, you’ll get sweet lo-fi vibes. You can go as low as you want, right down to SP202 grade dirt.

• @Unfolding said:

@dendy said:
    I urgently need also ESX :lol: :lol: It feels like uncomplete setup now :lol:

Ha! ESX owner here, still loving it over a decade later. 4 things to temper the GAS before buying- same kinda nasty stock tubes, the AD converters for sampling are crap (especially in 2022 terms), sample editing (looping, trimming) sucks & you’ll need a memory card (doesn’t matter which version you get).

Prep your samples in anything other than the ESX then save them to the card for importing. Save your sanity.

One thing the manual mentions briefly is that the ESX is compatible with sample rates less than the usual 16bit, 44.1khz. Exploit that by using old hip hop techniques like tune your sample an octave up, save as a 12bit 32.5khz wav/aiff, import, then pitch it back down an octave. You’ll not only optimise storage in the ESX, you’ll get sweet lo-fi vibes. You can go as low as you want, right down to SP202 grade dirt.

With boxes like the Digitakt, AKAI MPC One / Live or even the Force, Deluge or the 1010 Blackbox, I'd think twice before getting the ESX - although it's a great match visually of course :smile:
    The ESX sampling workflow was quite unintuitive to me, unlike the hands-on, straightforward experience on the EMX.
    My choice for HW sampling is now the Maschine MK3 + old Windows tablet btw.

• Fair point, the ESX is def a product of its time.

But comparing an obsolete 2003 sampler to gear still supported by their manufacturers is always going end badly for the ESX. Pretty much everything released since then is better in some form.

Aside from the sample editing, I always found it fast & inspiring to make beats with. Interesting to read you had different experiences with the EMX & ESX.

Just watched a few videos of the Blackbox and that looks like a great sampler. The MPC500 ruined Akai for me, so I’ll have to take your word on the One & Force being worth it.