Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

List of AUv3 apps that work on M1 Macs (and in Ableton)

13»

Comments

• Loopy Pro is on the list but isn't possible yet as far as I can tell.

• @handed said:
    Loopy Pro is on the list but isn't possible yet as far as I can tell.

The iPad beta version will also run on the Mac.

• So, is there a wiki for this yet? Or any site/page/document/other that is regularly updated?

Not interested in Ableton specifically, just AuV3 plugjns for the M1/M2 Mac family.

• edited October 2022

Studio One 6 seems to detect AUv3 plugins but they are not usable. Hopefully, it is just a bug and they will fix it in next release!

• @emjay said:
    So, is there a wiki for this yet? Or any site/page/document/other that is regularly updated?

Not interested in Ableton specifically, just AuV3 plugjns for the M1/M2 Mac family.

Great idea. Maybe you can get a wiki page started.

• @espiegel123 said:

@emjay said:
    So, is there a wiki for this yet? Or any site/page/document/other that is regularly updated?

Great idea. Maybe you can get a wiki page started.

Yes, well. Some people (hint: not me) have been using plugins, including some AUv3, on M1 Mac computers for quite some time now.

Me? Well I only just got a M1 Mac. So, my knowledge is lacking. Otherwise, yes, I would be keen on starting this.

But thanks for the thoughtful advice!

• @emjay said:

The audiobus forum has a wiki. There is a link at the top of every page.

The url is https://wiki.audiob.us/

• @espiegel123 said:

@emjay said:

Yes, I know.

It doesn’t have many entries, as it stands. I was hoping there was a comprehensive list somewhere.

But never mind. It will be a matter of checking each app, which is not the end of the world.

• @emjay said:

@espiegel123 said:

@emjay said:

Yes, I know.

It doesn’t have many entries, as it stands. I was hoping there was a comprehensive list somewhere.

But never mind. It will be a matter of checking each app, which is not the end of the world.

The good thing about a wiki is that you can add entries yourself

• @emjay said:

@espiegel123 said:

@emjay said:

Yes, I know.

If someone creates a wiki page, people can
    add to it over time. It is just as easy as posting to a a thread and easier to
    maintain and find over time.

• There is actually already a wiki page dedicated to it, last updated a month ago, so no need to make an entire new page ^^ https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=ios_apps_that_work_on_m1_macs

• @monz0id said:

@Calverhall said:

@monz0id said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:

@monz0id said:
    It's never worked on my M1 Mac Mini. Tried support, but they seem to have run out of ideas.

I get this when I try and open it now:

"Can't activate audio device (RemoteIO start error 0). Please restart Drambo."

Sorry for responding to an old post, but do you have any audio loopback software such as Loopback or Blackhole installed? I had very similar issues with certain apps failing to output any sound and when I got rid of the loopback software (I think it was Blackhole), the problems immediately went away.

Thanks for the reply - no, none of that installed at all, and other compatible iPad apps work fine.

Just tested again in standalone, as I updated to the latest Big Sur recently, and still get an "Can't activate audio device (RemoteIO start error 0). Please restart Drambo." error.

I can close this and still open Drambo, but when I load a demo track, it still doesn't play, and there's still no sound from the pads.

Just doesn't work.

@Calverhall said:
    Just did a quick test with a preset from Drambo in Ableton 11.2. Seems to work fine with a MIDI clip feeding into it.

Ableton 10.1.43 - won't load at all.

I apologise if I'm jumping the gun and this is a specific problem for a M1 Mac mini, as I tested on a MacBook Pro M1 pro machine.
    But AUv3 won't work at all on any Live version before 11.2 anyway.

Yeah I just tested it that way just out of interest, the main test was in standalone mode. Logic refuses to load it, but that does support my other iOS compatible apps.

It’s never worked in standalone mode on my Mini, won’t run, not a squeak from the audio at all. The dev interacted for a while but they didn’t reply to my last response.

Says it ‘works on this Mac’ on the app store, but it doesn’t.

Deleted, reinstalled?
    Uninstalled by an uninstall script (google for some, they remove all kinds of hidden directories and logs and things)?

• VAPoly should be added to that list

• Hi is there anything on the wiki on that topic ?

• @tja said:

@monz0id said:

@Calverhall said:

@monz0id said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:

@monz0id said:
    It's never worked on my M1 Mac Mini. Tried support, but they seem to have run out of ideas.

I get this when I try and open it now:

"Can't activate audio device (RemoteIO start error 0). Please restart Drambo."

Sorry for responding to an old post, but do you have any audio loopback software such as Loopback or Blackhole installed? I had very similar issues with certain apps failing to output any sound and when I got rid of the loopback software (I think it was Blackhole), the problems immediately went away.

Thanks for the reply - no, none of that installed at all, and other compatible iPad apps work fine.

Just tested again in standalone, as I updated to the latest Big Sur recently, and still get an "Can't activate audio device (RemoteIO start error 0). Please restart Drambo." error.

I can close this and still open Drambo, but when I load a demo track, it still doesn't play, and there's still no sound from the pads.

Just doesn't work.

@Calverhall said:
    Just did a quick test with a preset from Drambo in Ableton 11.2. Seems to work fine with a MIDI clip feeding into it.

Ableton 10.1.43 - won't load at all.

I apologise if I'm jumping the gun and this is a specific problem for a M1 Mac mini, as I tested on a MacBook Pro M1 pro machine.
    But AUv3 won't work at all on any Live version before 11.2 anyway.

Yeah I just tested it that way just out of interest, the main test was in standalone mode. Logic refuses to load it, but that does support my other iOS compatible apps.

It’s never worked in standalone mode on my Mini, won’t run, not a squeak from the audio at all. The dev interacted for a while but they didn’t reply to my last response.

Says it ‘works on this Mac’ on the app store, but it doesn’t.

Deleted, reinstalled?
    Uninstalled by an uninstall script (google for some, they remove all kinds of hidden directories and logs and things)?

I wouldn’t want to use a script, I just use the standard uninstall - might be worth checking and manually removing directories though, if any exist.

It actually starts up and works for a bit in Ableton 11 (I’ve recently upgraded), but bombs out after a few minutes. Totally dead in standalone still.

• Am I correct to believe that there is now some registration mechanism where if an app supports AUv3 that the system knows and reports this to a supporting host like Ableton Live? I can see some AUv3 plugins available + loadable in Live, but no corresponding plugin folders.

• The Wotja Generative Music System is a free AUv3 host and plug-in for iOS and macOS (actually different apps for each, but just one bundle ID). https://wotja.com

• What about for PC users. You can just get the unlock > @piccolo said:

Studio One 6 seems to detect AUv3 plugins but they are not usable. Hopefully, it is just a bug and they will fix it in next release!

So far as I can tell, they don’t seem to be interested…Too bad, I’d rather work on Studio One than Logic or Ableton

• I have an Intel Mac, and am running FAC Alteza, Moog Model D and 15. Ableton is my DAW.

I so wish I could download others, such as Spacefields.

• What's wrong with Spacefields?

I have not purchased any desktop versions of my ios plugins, like from FAC. But of the devs who offer free desktop installs with iOS purchase, only Igor's IMAL (Alitspace, Soundsaw), Moog, and Uwyn (MIDI Tape Recorder) show up in either Live or Reaper. I have others that do allow me to run them standalone on Mac but not as a plugin. Neither Altispace nor Soundsaw works properly in Reaper, but they do in Live. Seems to be hit & miss at present, and more miss than hit.

I think devs need to compile specifically to support loading as AUv3 plugin, and it may not be a small effort. Like I still don't quite understand how AUv3 plugins notify the DAW that they are available. Something has fundamentally changed there. Seems to be a system call or a plist entry and not a plugin in a known folder location.

• @piccolo said:

I’ve seen no mention of this from them but that would be great .

• Hi I am curious if Lumbeat's Future Drummer works on M1/2 MBP? I don't see it in any of the lists on this thread or the above wiki, though the App Store page info shows:

Mac
    Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/future-drummer/id1206804871

• @tsferro said:
    Hi I am curious if Lumbeat's Future Drummer works on M1/2 MBP? I don't see it in any of the lists on this thread or the above wiki, though the App Store page info shows:

I have it installed (and some more) and it can be started.
    I did not test it within any DAW...

• @Plien said:
    There is actually already a wiki page dedicated to it, last updated a month ago, so no need to make an entire new page ^^ https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=ios_apps_that_work_on_m1_macs

Is anyone aware of a more update list of compatible apps? I'm curious because I am considering purchasing a MBA/P and this is a major consideration, and this list is 6 months old.

• Is there anything as simple possible, such as going to the app store on your iPad and checking whether it's M1/2 compatible?

• @SkillipEvolver said:
    Is there anything as simple possible, such as going to the app store on your iPad and checking whether it's M1/2 compatible?

I wouldn't call it "simple" but you can visit each app individually in the App Store, then scroll down to Information > Compatibility to see a dropdown that provides this information.

• edited October 2023

Can't comment about Ableton, but all Cherry Audio AU plugins appear to work fine on desktop in macOS Sonoma. ;) (Running on M1, Sonoma, GarageBand and Logic Pro)

• Thanks for comments guys 👍🏻

Lot of talk on here about AUV3 plugin, not so much about straight up app running in a window type situations. Maybe I'm expecting wrongly.. can we for instance, just launch like, MiniMoog and use it as you would on the iPad? Ie with midi keyboard etc. (Albeit without a touchscreen ofc).