Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FAC Medusa From Fred Anton Corvest

Comments

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Samu said:
    Only 'thing' I'm missing is double-tap to zero/init a parameter.
    Long-Tap on knobs to control all of them at once is a nice touch :)

I see what you did there. 😉 Since we work with touchscreens....nope, not quitting my day job for comedy. 😂

Yeah, I'm just being picky :sunglasses:

I've lately been re-sampling my old SY85 (it's 30 years old this year!) so I thought why not put one of the 'Drum Loops' (made using the built-in pattern sequencer) thru Medusa, and it's a blast!

Here's the original loop from the SY85 in case someone needs a loop to trash with Medusa...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/72cfltp8rucl6t7/SY85-HouseC125BPM.wav?dl=0

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Samu said:
    Long-Tap on knobs to control all of them at once is a nice touch :)

I see what you did there. 😉 Since we work with touchscreens....nope, not quitting my day job for comedy. 😂

Yeah, I'm just being picky :sunglasses:

Yeah, double tap to zero/init a parameter is usually built into an app already, so it's strange Medusa doesn't have this. But if that's the only nitpick we have, it's so small that it's not a deal breaker one bit. I'm in love with this app. Hope it doesn't turn me to stone if I look at it too long. 🤣

I've lately been re-sampling my old SY85 (it's 30 years old this year!) so I thought why not put one of the 'Drum Loops' (made using the built-in pattern sequencer) thru Medusa, and it's a blast!

Here's the original loop from the SY85 in case someone needs a loop to trash with Medusa...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/72cfltp8rucl6t7/SY85-HouseC125BPM.wav?dl=0

Cheers!

Cool! Will load this into AUM File Player and have a play with Medusa using this to better familiarise myself with the app.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Cool! Will load this into AUM File Player and have a play with Medusa using this to better familiarise myself with the app.

Yes and very old-school when you change the BPM in AUM and the loops is just pitched up/down to match :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Yes and very old-school when you change the BPM in AUM and the loops is just pitched up/down to match :sunglasses:

LOL! I meant to "better learn Medusa", oops. But that is a cool technique and yes, old-school indeed. However, old-school techniques are still great techniques to have in a producer's mental toolkit. ;)

• Sure would like to see a lot more guitar-centric presets. But it does sound good.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    Ope, I missed the presale.

Are you from the midwest US mate? 🙂

Anyways, it's only a $2 difference, but still worth it. Medusa blows my mind and will use it on my next track. It'll make my Trance lead sing! 🤩

Yup! St. Louis! Yeah I don’t mind paying the extra $2 cos Fred is the man and his prices are always a steal for the quality. Yeah this thing is sick though! I’m about to run my hardware synths and a Big Muff through it with some acid lines and just crank it up

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Anyways, it's only a $2 difference, but still worth it. Medusa blows my mind and will use it on my next track. It'll make my Trance lead sing! 🤩

Yup! St. Louis!

I knew it mate! Lol. Us Midwesterners always say "ope". 🤣

Yeah I don’t mind paying the extra $2 cos Fred is the man and his prices are always a steal for the quality. Yeah this thing is sick though! I’m about to run my hardware synths and a Big Muff through it with some acid lines and just crank it up

NICE! Bet you'll get some sick timbres out of it. Have fun! 😃

• edited October 2022

Has anyone heard from Fred about a desktop version of Medusa? I sure hope he makes it available through the macOS App Store if/when it happens. It was nice getting his other plugins this way before.

• McDMcD
    edited October 2022

@Burner said:
    Only a few hours left to get FAC Medusa at the intro price of $6.99 instead of $8.99

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/fac-medusa/id1633097373

Oops. Assumptions can bite you everytime. Oh well. Time to start a “watch for sale” list.
    How many hours did the “intro” period last? OH! Maybe it was a Pre-sale price.

• hpchpc
    edited June 2023

Deleted

• edited October 2022

Hot diggity this got me to pull out Bandit again, and hot diggity! That is such a great app. Offset delays on separate bands, slowly building feedback swells…man.

And yeah I did get the compressor. It compresses, and is capable of some very heavy, mostly undesirable saturation for my tastes. Upward is always good though for getting those ultra “hifi” too-sleek cocaine pads or saw keys. As for the rest…it compresses. I’m so used to the “feel” of Magic Death Eye or non-feel of Pro-C2 that it won’t become a staple.

The UI looks great as always, but something about the arrangement of the controls, with the gain knobs being the center of attention and the actual compressor section off to the side feels odd. But hey, whatever, the guy has a spotless track record, these are nits.

It’s good for what it is and the inherent limits on just how “good” a compressor can be. But man I wanted a fun toy a la Chorus/Phazer/Bandit.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Hot diggity this got me to pull out Bandit again, and hot diggity! That is such a great app. Offset delays on separate bands, slowly building feedback swells…man.

Now I wanna pull out Bandit again for a bit of fun and playing about.

And yeah I did get the compressor. It compresses, and is capable of some very heavy, mostly undesirable saturation for my tastes. Upward is always good though for getting those ultra “hifi” too-sleek cocaine pads or saw keys. As for the rest…it compresses. I’m so used to the “feel” of Magic Death Eye or non-feel of Pro-C2 that it won’t become a staple.

The way I view Medusa isn't so much as a compressor but rather an AUv3 effect that so happens to have compression in it. It is a great app, but it definitely isn't subtle by any means. 😉 I wouldn't use it for glue or mastering, but on something like a Trance lead or an Ambient field recording, it's golden.

That said, my goto compressors are Bleass Compressor for everyday tasks and MagicDeathEyeStereo for mastering (the little EQ section really does come in handy!). My goto saturator for phattening subs and Trance leads is Bleass Saturator.

The UI looks great as always, but something about the arrangement of the controls, with the gain knobs being the center of attention and the actual compressor section off to the side feels odd. But hey, whatever, the guy has a spotless track record, these are nits.

It’s good for what it is and the inherent limits on just how “good” a compressor can be. But man I wanted a fun toy a la Chorus/Phazer/Bandit.

Have you heard of Rymdigare by any chance? 😉

• Played around with this a bit today and love the way it sounds. Great character. Lots to explore here. I need to dig into what the side chain is doing.

• @Samu said:

This should be default on every single app imo

• @NeuM said:
    His Twitter feed says it’s not going to be an auto-tune app… Hmm.

Maybe it’s the desktop version of Drumkit, which he seemed to indicate a number of months ago was on the way?

Will be available soon for sure, a bit delayed by other projects :) A version of Medusa for macOS is also almost done.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Gavinski said:
    Remember though that Bandit has a - very nice - delay (as an iap if I remember?)

No tellin how many times I’ve had to restore that purchase to get it to work in the AU.

I am hoping the new one features his patented “unique sober look”

Yeah.... Very annoying but most likely unfixable for some reason, otherwise I'm sure he would have fixed it by now.

FAC Interfaces are among my faves on iOS. The resizing capabilities are astounding, text is never too small and they look great.

Have people reported the IAP issue? A common reason for bugs not being addressed is developers either being unaware of issues (or being unaware that how widespread an issue is) or not being able to reproduce them.

Yes, I've fixed the issue yesterday (not easy to reproduce!). I'll start the beta and then release the fix.

• Thank you all for your great feedback about Medusa! Really appreciated!

Sorry for the late replies but as you know I'm more on Twitter and Instagram, thank you for the members who update this wonderful forum with all the info I share there.

Oh by the way I'm sure you know that FAC means Fred Anton Corvest :) My bad for choosing the letter U for Medusa :smiley: :smiley: , always tricky to find the name of the app and the letter...

Here some nice tips about Medusa I want to share with you:

• when the compressor is set to UPWARD => play with the range parameter, -60dB is very extreme (for my taste) but I like to start playing around -18dB but it depends of the material of course.
    • don't forget the limiter threshold parameter on the big meter (the yellow line) => you can move it
    • long touch the gain, saturator, dry/wet knobs to update the parameters in one take => nice to alter the values in group (like in Drumkit Mixer)
    • you can change SUM to SPLIT via the toggle but also by touching the Medusa
    • you can resize the AuV3 in any way you like! I really appreciate the portrait view when I use AUM for example

If it's not already done may I suggest you to rate and review Medusa on the App Store. It helps a lot, and provide me extra motivation boost to continue this wonderful adventure we started in 2017 with FAC Chorus :)

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Yup! St. Louis! Yeah I don’t mind paying the extra $2 cos Fred is the man and his prices are always a steal for the quality. Yeah this thing is sick though! I’m about to run my hardware synths and a Big Muff through it with some acid lines and just crank it up

Yeah! go St. Louis!!

• @FredAntonCorvest said:
    Here some nice tips about Medusa I want to share with you:

• when the compressor is set to UPWARD => play with the range parameter, -60dB is very extreme (for my taste) but I like to start playing around -18dB but it depends of the material of course.
    • don't forget the limiter threshold parameter on the big meter (the yellow line) => you can move it
    • long touch the gain, saturator, dry/wet knobs to update the parameters in one take => nice to alter the values in group (like in Drumkit Mixer)
    • you can change SUM to SPLIT via the toggle but also by touching the Medusa
    • you can resize the AuV3 in any way you like! I really appreciate the portrait view when I use AUM for example

These would go well in the documentation. (Maybe you've added them since the initial release; I didn't see them then.)

• @oat_phipps said:

Is there a factory patch that does that, or could you upload your patch? Or a demo of what it sounds like.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2022

Parallel pizza is my favorite style of pizza

But question. There’s a dry and wet knob. Isn’t that basically allowing you to do it in one instance if you turn the dry up and mix the two to taste? And I figured but haven’t looked to see if the multi out allows for a dry/wet output?

• Fred has done a great job as a dev to add a compr to its arsenal. He has several apps that are insanely well made so obviously having a compressor in his list makes it a more complete package of very important effects to have. Instaget for me. Thanks FAC!!

• The manual mentions it adds a bit of latency. How much exactly? (Mostly use my iPad for live processing external instruments so it's a big concern for me.)

This looks great, btw.

• McDMcD
    edited October 2022

I wasn’t going to buy this one because I figured I’m totally covered in EQ, Compressor, Saturation tools that I can do this already. But presets can save a tone of time.

But I’m a huge fan of the Bark Filter “Triple Band plus Limiter” solution for final mixes that just get you there with one decision.

But I enjoy Fred’s creations and I competed the set and picked this one up. It has a list of presets that just covered a lot of use cases and one of them is called “Tri Band Studio Mix”… so I set up an A/B comparison between FAC Medusa and Bark Filter on the same source material. FAC Medusa up the gain a bit but the mix results are damn near identical to my ears.

Please do this test and see if your don’t get your money’s worth. Fred and Harry are stars and I own all their products. They rarely fail to provide value for the investment.

I do wish Fred would make something like Envolver that also detects pitch range variations for I can use it for hand drumming (like Impaktor) as a front end to Drumming apps. I’m sure he could detect proximity to selected frequencies using EQ settings and narrow Q’s. I think a lot of people would use it for virtual drum triggers on their iPads and iPhones. Please Fred!

• @McD said:
    I wasn’t going to buy this one because I figured I’m totally covered in EQ, Compressor, Saturation tools that I can do this already. But presets can save a tone of time.

But I’m a huge fan of the Bark Filter “Triple Band plus Limiter” solution for final mixes that just get you there with one decision.

But I enjoy Fred’s creations and I competed the set and picked this one up. It has a list of presets that just covered a lot of use cases and one of them is called “Tri Band Studio Mix”… so I set up an A/B comparison between FAC Medusa and Bark Filter on the same source material. FAC Medusa up the gain a bit but the mix results are damn near identical to my ears.

Please do this test and see if your don’t get your money’s worth. Fred and Harry are stars and I own all their products. They rarely fail to provide value for the investment.

I do wish Fred would make something like Envolver that also detects pitch range variations for I can use it for hand drumming (like Impaktor) as a front end to Drumming apps. I’m sure he could detect proximity to selected frequencies using EQ settings and narrow Q’s. I think a lot of people would use it for virtual drum triggers on their iPads and iPhones. Please Fred!

Tripleband and Tri Band are indeed very similar, Medusa sounds a bit warmer to my ears but also slightly muddier in the bass (easily tweaked of course). I probably slightly prefer Medusa but for this quick and dirty mastering both are great.

• Thank you all for your great feedback and support!

Tips: Don't forget to play with the range parameter when the compressor type is set to UPWARD, makes a huge difference.

And if you do the kind of modular experimental beats with all the noise bursts and so, the following preset is really nice at the end of the fx chain :)

As usual if you enjoy my apps please rate/review on the AppStore, it helps a lot.

http://fredantoncorvest.com/FAC_Medusa.html