Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

id700 v1.18

(sorry for the shameless self-promotion but i think this is better than necro'ing several older threads)

after more than a week in app store review purgatory id700 1.18 is finally out for ios. the main change is a new algorithm ui which makes it easier to understand wtf is happening:

i hope this makes the learning curve less steep for everyone. i appreciate and pay attention to the feedback here and want you to know there will be more updates in the future (as well as a new app, stay tuned).

Comments

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

Oh wow! That is much clearer. Thank you!

• As I mentioned in another thread, this layout improvement now makes it far more clear how the synth works. Great update.

• The signal flow is a lot clearer now. Thank you for the update.

• Looks amazing. Good job

• This is great thanks. Still one of the best out there :)

• Thank you 🙏🏻 blessings to you

• I heard some amazing sound demos. Most def on my short list.

• Been having a lot of fun with this app, thanks for the update!

• Great update, thank you! My fav synth on IOS just got even better :smile:

Any hints on the new app? Will it be another emulation of a rare synth?

• Awesome, great update.

• Love this synth, and really appreciate the new UI - cheers!

• Great! Thanks. :) I managed much faster to get some crazy going and, almost, understanding it too ;)

• That looks really good!

• Awesome work on the UI - looks great!

• edited September 2022

I thought it looked much cleaner and more natural before. BUT it’s still a great synth, the sleeper iOS classic to me

• edited October 2022

@modosc said:
    (sorry for the shameless self-promotion but i think this is better than necro'ing several older threads)

If I’d made one of the best iOS synths ever created I’d be shouting it from the rooftops every day on here

• edited September 2022

ID700 1.1 manual, page 9, @modosc wrote:
    Indexes may also have perpendicular connections — these are timbre modulation inputs […].

I agree the new UI looks cleaner, but now that most connections are attached horizontally we’ve definitely lost one dimension of the visual representation; moreover, the way timbre indexes are represented now forces a twisted interpretation of the signal flow… for instance, consider algorithm 1:

• version 1.1: signal from index 2 was an input of index 3; and index 5 —> index 6
    • version 1.18: signal from index 3 is now an input of index 2; and index 6 —> index 5

But as @oat_phipps said above, it’s still a great synth!

• Thanks @modosc ! Even better now 😍

• @RockBottom said:

ID700 1.1 manual, page 9, @modosc wrote:
    Indexes may also have perpendicular connections — these are timbre modulation inputs […].

I agree the new UI looks cleaner, but now that most connections are attached horizontally we’ve definitely lost one dimension of the visual representation; moreover, the way timbre indexes are represented now forces a twisted interpretation of the signal flow… for instance, consider algorithm 1:

• version 1.1: signal from index 2 was an input of index 3; and index 5 —> index 6
    • version 1.18: signal from index 3 is now an input of index 2; and index 6 —> index 5

i'm happy to see someone read the manual! i do have updates for it that i'm working on which will include the new algorithm layout (as well as some analysis and suggestions for each algorithm).

the "perpendicular connections are for TM" paradigm came from the 700 originally, and trying to keep that made the ui harder to implement. abandoning it allowed me to do this latest revision.i think the arrows also help make things clearer.

in terms of whether this new approach is more "twisted" - a timbre index is really just another amplifier applied to the amplitude output. it's hard to say whether this is best represented as directly modulating the amplitude (which is how the 700 and < 1.18 did it) or modulating the output of amplitude (which is how 1.18 does it). internally it's sort of both.

• @ghost_forests said:

@modosc said:

If I’d made one of the best iOS synths every created I’d be shouting it from the rooftops every day on here

thank you, that's the greatest complement i've ever received. this work is not my day job and it's hard sometimes to find the motivation to spend my free time keeping it going. i hope my tools inspire folks to make art and have fun.

• @modosc said:

@ghost_forests said:

@modosc said:

If I’d made one of the best iOS synths every created I’d be shouting it from the rooftops every day on here

thank you, that's the greatest complement i've ever received. this work is not my day job and it's hard sometimes to find the motivation to spend my free time keeping it going. i hope my tools inspire folks to make art and have fun.

They do!!!

• @modosc said:

@ghost_forests said:

@modosc said:

Absolutely!

• @modosc said:

@ghost_forests said:

@modosc said:

ID700 is one of my new favorites too.

• @modosc said:

@ghost_forests said:

@modosc said:

It's my favorite synth to use with the Akai EWI, and one of my favorite synths in general.

• @modosc said:

@ghost_forests said:

@modosc said:

Definitely! The best iOS synths for me are the ones that I can spend hours tweaking, and this one provides hours of fun.

• @modosc said:

@ghost_forests said:

@modosc said:

I don’t understand it but I love it!. In my case it’s 99% unpredictable and I get unexpected awesomeness 🙃

• Now that I have my head wrapped around this a little more after finally rtfm, this is probably my new favorite synth. It’s just ridiculously deep and expressive

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Now that I have my head wrapped around this a little more after finally rtfm, this is probably my new favorite synth. It’s just ridiculously deep and expressive

This synth is incredible. It's just a pity that it came out just after I got my cataract operations and was clearly going to take up too much of my time and be hard on my eyes to make a video on. This was around the time I pretty much stopped making spoken walkthroughs for a very long time. I did actually read the manual deeply and got a decent grasp of it. Maybe I will get round to making a vid on it some day. It certainly deserves a ton of exposure! It does have a hell of a lot of reviews on the appstore compared to most apps, so that says a lot!

• @Gavinski said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    Now that I have my head wrapped around this a little more after finally rtfm, this is probably my new favorite synth. It’s just ridiculously deep and expressive

This synth is incredible. It's just a pity that it came out just after I got my cataract operations and was clearly going to take up too much of my time and be hard on my eyes to make a video on. This was around the time I pretty much stopped making spoken walkthroughs for a very long time. I did actually read the manual deeply and got a decent grasp of it. Maybe I will get round to making a vid on it some day. It certainly deserves a ton of exposure! It does have a hell of a lot of reviews on the appstore compared to most apps, so that says a lot!

+1 it is a real gem. And it has a very detailed manual, which tends to accompany those apps which I dive most deeply into and enjoy the most e.g. the Sugar Bytes ones.

• edited January 2023

@modosc: Just wanted to say that from launch this has remained absolutely one of my favourite and most interesting synths, since I started the whole iPad music making thing.

Honestly, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing with it, even after rtfm, that’s on me, not you, but despite weapons grade ignorance on my part, I find it very tweakable and it is rare that I mess it and don’t stumble over some unique sounding noise I end up building a track around. It really stands out from the crowd, a very inspiring app! :)

Whatever you make next will have my fullest attention! :)