Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sims monitors

For those of you who use amp sims and nothing else will krk’s sound just like a real amp?? I’m asking this because I’m trying to figure out if these amp sims sound just as good because I’m also considering getting a positive grid spark amp just not sure which would sound best,so I’m thinking either krk or the monitors, thoughts???

As far as getting monitors, man I have already spent $100 on rhino,th-u, nembrini in addition to the IAP’s

Which sounds better
  1. Which would sound better for high gain1 vote
    1. Positive Grid Spark Amplifer
        0.00%
    2. KRK Studio Monitors
      100.00%

Comments

• If you want the sound of an amp buy a real amp. As in a proper amp, not the Positive Grid.

Otherwise you can still get a good sound with monitors and sims.

What’s your max budget?

• @BroCoast said:
    If you want the sound of an amp buy a real amp. As in a proper amp, not the Positive Grid.

What’s your max budget?

Budget is not the issue, I’m just trying to achieve the highest quality tone at low volume for apartment living. I have already spent a lot on amp. Sims so I can get some monitors or a spark amp per the poll

• @yourmommachews said:

@BroCoast said:
    If you want the sound of an amp buy a real amp. As in a proper amp, not the Positive Grid.

What’s your max budget?

Budget is not the issue, I’m just trying to achieve the highest quality tone at low volume for apartment living. I have already spent a lot on amp. Sims so I can get some monitors or a spark amp per the poll

If you are planning on running your iPad output through this, do not get the Spark. It might be ok-ish (I've heard mixed things about it) as a practice amp -- but it won't sound good as a monitor to listen to the output of your iPad.

KRK makes many different monitors -- it may be a 'you get what you pay for' situations. If your goal is the best sound, there may be better options. I have no idea what current gear is good -- my studio monitors sound really good but are ancient and expensive. I have heard good things about the iLoud MTMs but have no experience with them. They are a bit pricy.

I'd be curious to get @JoyceRoadStudios thoughts.

• @yourmommachews said:
    Budget is not the issue, I’m just trying to achieve the highest quality tone at low volume for apartment living...

In an acoustically untreated apartment high quality studio monitors are a waste of money.
    Your walls will immediately nullify all the effort the developers put into the thing.

• If money is not the issue then buy a Revv amp with built in Two notes cab sim.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RevvG20P--revv-g20-20-4-watt-tube-head-purple

You can then plug the amp into your interface for recording and monitoring.

• Perhaps OP should clarify whether he wants the speakers for listening to other things than guitar. Guitar amp solutions won’’t be a great fit if he is also using the speaker(s) to listen to his mixes and synths and drums, etc.

• I got some decent M-audio monitors and I just purchased a Vox Adio GT.
    Monitors sound great with amp sims, but I get more of an amp feeling with the Adio. It’s got knobs, it’s more directional… not really about the sound but about the feeling.
    Are you sure about the Spark?. I know it’s got a ton of effects but I’d rather use the iPad auv3 for that, I tread a ton of reviews and comments and the Spark didn’t come out on too regarding amp sound.

• @Telefunky said:

@yourmommachews said:
    Budget is not the issue, I’m just trying to achieve the highest quality tone at low volume for apartment living...

In an acoustically untreated apartment high quality studio monitors are a waste of money.
    Your walls will immediately nullify all the effort the developers put into the thing.

Yeah this.

I use the humble Yamaha HS-5. Good enough for my needs.

I live in an apartment too, I can still play my guitar amps. I have only ever got complaints about synths through the monitors!

• Not an amp but I’ve always wanted the iloud speakers they are supposedly really nice for their size.

• I just ordered some krk rp5’s

• @BroCoast said:

@Telefunky said:

@yourmommachews said:

Yeah this.

IME, the Yamaha HS-5 is an excellent nearfield monitor and just right in this application where having more size, bass, or distance would be a disadvantage. In the store, I compared them to various models and found them to sound the most natural and detailed without exaggerating the bass (thump) or treble (sizzle). I have them positioned at ear level about an arm’s length away and never need to turn them up.

• @yourmommachews said:
    For those of you who use amp sims and nothing else will krk’s sound just like a real amp?? I’m asking this because I’m trying to figure out if these amp sims sound just as good because I’m also considering getting a positive grid spark amp just not sure which would sound best,so I’m thinking either krk or the monitors, thoughts???

As far as getting monitors, man I have already spent $100 on rhino,th-u, nembrini in addition to the IAP’s

I have both but just to clear things up, you said "so I’m thinking either krk or the monitors". Did you mean either the KRK Monitors or the PG Spark?

If so I'd say definitely the KRK's. I don't know but I would imagine the Spark is designed around the PG sound. Monitors (any brand) will be more neutral and give you a more accurate idea of the emulated sound. In terms of which sounds more like a real amp I'd say neither, and both. The Spark sounds as much like an amp as the emulations allow, as do the KRK's. Personally, I much prefer playing amp sims through my monitors (6"), using IR's or whatever I choose to achieve the realism I want..

• @Ailerom said:

@yourmommachews said:

I have both but just to clear things up, you said "so I’m thinking either krk or the monitors". Did you mean either the KRK Monitors or the PG Spark?

If so I'd say definitely the KRK's. I don't know but I would imagine the Spark is designed around the PG sound. Monitors (any brand) will be more neutral and give you a more accurate idea of the emulated sound. In terms of which sounds more like a real amp I'd say neither, and both. The Spark sounds as much like an amp as the emulations allow, as do the KRK's. Personally, I much prefer playing amp sims through my monitors (6"), using IR's or whatever I choose to achieve the realism I want..

I just ordered a single Krk Rokit ‘5 because that’s what my budget allowed after my wife’s transmission went out, I have decided against the spark,well for now anyway. So hopefully I will be happy with my tone

• @yourmommachews said:

@Ailerom said:

@yourmommachews said:

I just ordered a single Krk Rokit ‘5 because that’s what my budget allowed after my wife’s transmission went out, I have decided against the spark,well for now anyway. So hopefully I will be happy with my tone

I've had mine 14.5 years and still going strong. Hope they/it work out for you.

• @Schmotown said:

@BroCoast said:

@Telefunky said:

@yourmommachews said:

Yeah this.

IME, the Yamaha HS-5 is an excellent nearfield monitor and just right in this application where having more size, bass, or distance would be a disadvantage. In the store, I compared them to various models and found them to sound the most natural and detailed without exaggerating the bass (thump) or treble (sizzle). I have them positioned at ear level about an arm’s length away and never need to turn them up.

Once you get to know them, they’re accurate enough. Low end is problematic in an untreated room with any monitors so there is not much point to spend any more money. Plus they look nice!