Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PaulXStretch - Extreme Time Stretching

Comments

• @ehehehe said:

@lasselu said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@lasselu said:
    ...and I'm nagging again...

Why not use the TestFlight version?

Because I don't want to? Testflight is not installed on my iPad and I don't do beta software...

Same here, looking forward to it being released properly. Can testflight make things buggier?

Test Flight is how bugs get solved before release. One important thing though is to turn off auto-updates in test flight, if you are one of the unlucky people like me who still often gets the dreaded 'no auv3s installed on this device' bug.

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

@ehehehe said:

@lasselu said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@lasselu said:

Because I don't want to? Testflight is not installed on my iPad and I don't do beta software...

Same here, looking forward to it being released properly. Can testflight make things buggier?

TestFlight doesn't affect anything. It's just a system for installing beta apps. It's not some creeping OS modification with its tentacles reaching into other apps.

Back when the "disappearing AUv3" thing was happening on previous iOS versions, someone speculated that it might be caused by having TestFlight installed. That was conclusively proven not to be the case.

• @wim said:

@ehehehe said:

@lasselu said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@lasselu said:

TestFlight doesn't affect anything. It's just a system for installing beta apps. It's not some creeping OS modification with its tentacles reaching into other apps.

Back when the "disappearing AUv3" thing was happening on previous iOS versions, someone speculated that it might be caused by having TestFlight installed. That was conclusively proven not to be the case.

I'm still getting the disappearing auv3 problem and I'm on the next to latest iOS Wim. All auto updates turned off, including on test flight, I open every app I download as standalone before using auv3.... I seem to be an outlier though

• @Gavinski said:

>

I'm still getting the disappearing auv3 problem and I'm on the next to latest iOS Wim. All auto updates turned off, including on test flight, I open every app I download as standalone before using auv3.... I seem to be an outlier though

How often do you reboot your iPad?
    I've not had a single case of missing AUv3's in the last couple of months on my iPad Air 2 or my on my 11" M1 iPadPro.

In my case the iPad Air 2 reboots itself when it gets too hot and the M1 I usually reboot after installing or removing multiple apps. Just like I reboot my MacMini after some housekeeping...

• @Gavinski said:

I haven't had it happen in over a year. My only theory is I rarely use IAA apps, rarely leave any music apps open when I put my iPad to sleep, regularly clear memory after music sessions, and don't keep music apps running when I install new apps.

It smells like an open database concurrent write issue to me. Like maybe something like AUM has a copy of the plugin database in memory, then the App Store updates it when an app is installed or updated, then maybe iOS clobbers it with the cached version in AUM. I've screwed up enough of those types of operations in my career to kind of think that's it. That's why I shut stuff down rather than trusting iOS to do its job.

• @ehehehe said:

@lasselu said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@lasselu said:

No

• Sooner would obviously be better for a release date, but going to be patient on this.

• If it hadn't been an open beta no-one would even know it exists except for a handful of people 😂. Just download test flight and join the beta, otherwise, as you wisely say, be patient 😉

• @Gavinski said:
    If it hadn't been an open beta no-one would even know it exists except for a handful of people 😂. Just download test flight and join the beta, otherwise, as you wisely say, be patient 😉

It’s been so rad to have PaulXStretch on iOS all this time!!

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@ehehehe said:

@lasselu said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@lasselu said:

I had that happen to me with mLFO a couple days ago when I installed that. One reboot of the iPad, and I'm solid gold.

@maxwellhouser said:

@Gavinski said:
    If it hadn't been an open beta no-one would even know it exists except for a handful of people 😂. Just download test flight and join the beta, otherwise, as you wisely say, be patient 😉

Fuck yeah it's been mate. :) I love PaulXStretch! The instant drone creator, lol.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@ehehehe said:

@lasselu said:

@FordTimeLord said:

@lasselu said:

I had that happen to me with mLFO a couple days ago when I installed that. One reboot of the iPad, and I'm solid gold.

@maxwellhouser said:

@Gavinski said:

Fuck yeah it's been mate. :) I love PaulXStretch! The instant drone creator, lol.

Yeah a reboot always solves it for me.

@wim yes I don't reboot the ipad often. I feel I shouldn't have to, same with closing apps. It should just 'work'. But maybe indeed I should get into the habit of shutting it down and reopening every day.

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:
    It smells like an open database concurrent write issue to me. ...

I agree, wim. On the theory that the problem occurs when concurrent updates occur to some internal AUv3 registry, I've completely avoided the problem by preventing two AUv3 app updates from finishing at the same time. To ensure that, I allow each update plenty of time to finish before taking the next. This has worked for me on an iPod Touch running iOS 12 and on 2016 and 2021 iPads Pro always running the latest iPadOS. I posted the details last October, but maybe it got lost in the noise:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1006786/#Comment_1006786

TL;DR: take AUv3 updates one at a time, making sure each one finishes its update before starting the next. To be safe(r), be sure no AUv3 hosts or plugins are active when you take the update.

• @BeatsMe said:

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:
    It smells like an open database concurrent write issue to me. ...

I agree, wim. On the theory that the problem occurs when concurrent updates occur to some internal AUv3 registry, I've completely avoided the problem by preventing two AUv3 app updates from finishing at the same time. To ensure that, I allow each update plenty of time to finish before taking the next. This has worked for me on an iPod Touch running iOS 12 and on 2016 and 2021 iPads Pro always running the latest iPadOS. I posted the details last October, but maybe it got lost in the noise:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/1006786/#Comment_1006786

TL;DR: take AUv3 updates one at a time, making sure each one finishes its update before starting the next. To be safe(r), be sure no AUv3 hosts or plugins are active when you take the update.

Hadn't heard this one before, it's definitely not something I've followed til now. Will give it a try, thanks!

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

@Gavinski said:
    @wim yes I don't reboot the ipad often. I feel I shouldn't have to, same with closing apps. It should just 'work'. But maybe indeed I should get into the habit of shutting it down and reopening every day.

I hardly ever reboot the iPad. But I do force quit all apps when I'm done. And I additionally clear memory when I've been using any IAA apps. I'm convinced that prevents a ton of other problems and weirdness.

I suspect the disappearing apps thing has more to do with installing AU apps. I hadn't thought about the one at a time thing. That could make sense. But I do make sure to close all apps before doing updates, and think that may help too.

With an IT background, the idea that computers will ever "just work" makes me chuckle. :D

• @wim said:

@Gavinski said:

I hardly ever reboot the iPad. But I do force quit all apps when I'm done. And I additionally clear memory when I've been using any IAA apps. I'm convinced that prevents a ton of other problems and weirdness.

I suspect the disappearing apps thing has more to do with installing AU apps. I hadn't thought about the one at a time thing. That could make sense. But I do make sure to close all apps before doing updates, and think that may help too.

With an IT background, the idea that computers will ever "just work" makes me chuckle. :D

I'm glad I gave you a giggle Wim. How to clear memory?

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@Gavinski said:

I'm glad I gave you a giggle Wim. How to clear memory?

It's easier on an iPad with a home button. Quit all apps, hold down the power button until the power-off slider appears, but don't slide it. Then hold down the home button until the passcode screen appears.

If you don't have a home button: https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-clear-your-iphones-ram/. I'd probably just resort to a reboot myself.

• I noticed my TestFlight beta install of PaulXStretch is going to expire in a few days. Is there a new beta or has it been released yet?

• @skiphunt said:
    I noticed my TestFlight beta install of PaulXStretch is going to expire in a few days. Is there a new beta or has it been released yet?

Yeah @sonosaurus , could we please have an update? 😸

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@skiphunt said:
    I noticed my TestFlight beta install of PaulXStretch is going to expire in a few days. Is there a new beta or has it been released yet?

Yeah @sonosaurus , could we please have an update? 😸

+1

• Um, yeah... +1

• @sonosaurus I know you’ve said that you wouldn’t feel it right to sell this one since it was originally another developers creation… but if you got permission from him and maybe offered a small percentage of the profit maybe? This is one I’d be happy to pay for.

Jus’ sayin’ :)

• @skiphunt said:
    @sonosaurus I know you’ve said that you wouldn’t feel it right to sell this one since it was originally another developers creation… but if you got permission from him and maybe offered a small percentage of the profit maybe? This is one I’d be happy to pay for.

Jus’ sayin’ :)

+1

• Definitely. If the desktop version is anything to go by I’d be happy to pay for this.

• ppls - chill and stop pushing Sonosaurus!

and about money- he said before and I will say it again:
    there is a big yellow DONATION button (paypal) down below its page!
    go donate there.

https://sonosaurus.com/paulxstretch/

thank you!

• @waka_x said:
    ppls - chill and stop pushing Sonosaurus!

go donate there.

thank you!

Oh please 🙄 nobody is “pushing” anyone. We’re talking about the iOS beta version that’s about to expire and letting the developer know we’d be happy to buy this one should he find a way that he feels comfortable selling it. No pushing and no need to get dramatic about it. ;)

• edited September 2022

@waka_x said:

go donate there.

thank you!

Nobody is pushing. We're encouraging. Us experimental producers don't want to be without our favourite tool, our "secret sauce", come next week.

• yes so- go Donate!

• PaulStretch as far as I know was always free. The license-holder let Sonosaurus take over the license…I imagine he’d not be thrilled if Sonosaurus started charging money for it. And Sonosaurus seems pretty upstanding.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@waka_x said:

go donate there.

thank you!

Nobody is pushing. We're encouraging. Us experimental producers don't want to be without our favourite tool, our "secret sauce", come next week.

You won’t be without it, even if the build expires, it doesn’t remove it from your devices 🧘‍♂️

• @ronnieb said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@waka_x said:

go donate there.

thank you!

You won’t be without it, even if the build expires, it doesn’t remove it from your devices 🧘‍♂️

Expired betas don’t run. They are not removed, but they also don’t work.