Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI event order when sliding between keys on a touch keyboard

I've always assumed that when you "slide" between two keys (notes) on a touch screen keyboard, it would be better to FIRST send a "Note On" for the NEW key, and THEN send a "Note Off" for the now-released key. I think the reason is that some old hardware synths interpreted this as "portamento", and that's what users expected.

It's also what both the internal Xequence keyboard and Xequence AU | Keys / Xequence AU | Pads do.

However, I've now just tested two random apps (KB-1 and GeoShred), and neither of those do this. (they send the Note On / Note Off messages in the "regular" order -- first note off for the old key, then note on for the new one).

Is there any consensus / opinion on this? Does anyone depend on the "reversed" order? Any tests?

Comments

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2022

The AUM keyboard also sends the note-on for the new note before releasing the old one with a note-off when sliding between notes.

Many synth and instruments use this sequence to enable portamento (glide) or others use it for legato-mode, where the attack/decay phase of their envelops isn‘t retriggered, but stays at the sustain level but with the new pitch.

The current Xequence AU Keys variant allows to use these synth features when sliding and with a diffent playstyle (lifting the finger and then touching down on the adjacent key) it generates the other variant. I use both techniques instinctivly, depending on how i want the synth to sound. Please don‘t remove this useful feature.

• @_ki said:
    The AUM keyboard also sends the note-on for the new note before releasing the old one with a note-off when sliding between notes.

Many synth and instruments use this sequence to enable portamento (glide) or others use it for legato-mode, where the attack/decay phase of their envelops isn‘t retriggered, but stays at the sustain level.

Alright, that's what I always thought and what seemed right to me. Interesting that some major "players" don't do this.

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2022

IIRC for GeoShred you get a pitch-bend when sliding on the same string, but a note-off / note-on when changing between strings. But GeoShred has a lot of midi configuration options, so it may depend on the preset.

• @SevenSystems said:

@_ki said:

Many synth and instruments use this sequence to enable portamento (glide) or others use it for legato-mode, where the attack/decay phase of their envelops isn‘t retriggered, but stays at the sustain level.

Alright, that's what I always thought and what seemed right to me. Interesting that some major "players" don't do this.

I have not tried it, but Geoshred has a switch for “legato midi” in the midi configuration editor.

• @catherder said:

@SevenSystems said:

@_ki said:

I have not tried it, but Geoshred has a switch for “legato midi” in the midi configuration editor.

Thanks... I've just tried that, didn't make a difference....

@_ki said:
    IIRC for GeoShred you get a pitch-bend when sliding on the same string, but a note-off / note-on when changing between strings. But GeoShred has a lot of midi configuration options, so it may depend on the preset.

Yes, "a lot of options" is probably a vast understatement 😆

I guess the consensus is though that "New Note On -> Old Note Off" is the more useful behaviour, and it probably doesn't cause issues in synths that don't care either way. So I'll probably keep it in Xequence!

• edited September 2022

@SevenSystems : I’d look at what Animoog Z does, too.

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2022

@espiegel123 I just checked:

Animoog Z also issues the note-on of the new key before the note-off of the previous key when sliding between keys

Velocity KB : If one disables ‚slide to bend‘ in the settings, it is using the same order as Xequence Keys, AUM and Animoog Z.

LK buildin leyboard : When sliding, it first sends the note-off of the prev note, then note-on for the new note.

• @_ki said:
    @espiegel123 I just checked:

Animoog Z also issues the note-on of the new key before the note-off of the previous key when sliding between keys

Velocity KB : If one disables ‚slide to bend‘ in the settings, it is using the same order as Xequence Keys, AUM and Animoog Z.

LK buildin leyboard : When sliding, it first sends the note-off of the prev note, then note-on for the new note.

Thanks for the investigation... looks like a "healthy" 50/50 mix 😆