Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GSi's GS-201 MK2 has been released!!

Comments

• Instabuy and testing it!

• This baby sounds gritty and gorgeous!

• Curious for this who now have all 3 of the GSi Echos - this, the Copicat and B2, which you prefer and why

• edited September 2022

@Gavinski - each has it's own character to the tone, so it's hard to say. GS-201 has the most immediate personality to me - the tone character of the reverb is unique among the spring reverbs I have (a bit thinner and more prone to overdrive on the high end) and the delay has a very warbly sound which is nice. Definitely the antithesis of digital delay.

I like B2 also, but it's less versatile so it's a bit more case-specific - I can only use it in certain situations. Copicat is great because it doesn't self oscillate, so I like that a lot.

This is all said knowing that I've spent all of 10 minutes with GS-201, but so far it's the only one that inspired me to get lost in a Rhodes jam in my headphones while giving it a quick once-over. That says a lot in my opinion.

I don't think any of these are perfect, but they all have PERSONALITY and as my man Jules said:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2b/f8/c5/2bf8c57dec4e8df507dca24386a6406d.gif

• @Gavinski said:
    Curious for this who now have all 3 of the GSi Echos - this, the Copicat and B2, which you prefer and why

VariSpeed (the Copicat) is my favorite of all. It's unique in sound. It's like a tool on its own, gives you more to mess around with.

• @Gavinski said:
    Curious for this who now have all 3 of the GSi Echos - this, the Copicat and B2, which you prefer and why

The B2..easily. It's just sits under sounds soooo well with the right amount of dialing in 🎛️🔊🔊

• @eylvy said:
    VariSpeed (the Copicat) is my favorite of all. It's unique in sound. It's like a tool on its own, gives you more to mess around with.

Agreed. The Copicat is just instantly musical. I wouldn't voluntarily be without any of them but if I could only have one it would be Varispeed*

*I've spent a very short time with the 201 so far though, that's just my initial thoughts

• @Daveypoo said:
    @Gavinski - each has it's own character to the tone, so it's hard to say. GS-201 has the most immediate personality to me - the tone character of the reverb is unique among the spring reverbs I have (a bit thinner and more prone to overdrive on the high end) and the delay has a very warbly sound which is nice. Definitely the antithesis of digital delay.

I like B2 also, but it's less versatile so it's a bit more case-specific - I can only use it in certain situations. Copicat is great because it doesn't self oscillate, so I like that a lot.

This is all said knowing that I've spent all of 10 minutes with GS-201, but so far it's the only one that inspired me to get lost in a Rhodes jam in my headphones while giving it a quick once-over. That says a lot in my opinion.

I don't think any of these are perfect, but they all have PERSONALITY and as my man Jules said:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2b/f8/c5/2bf8c57dec4e8df507dca24386a6406d.gif

Nice to hear your thoughts Dave. Yeah they all have their own strengths. I still really can't decide which I prefer. I Think I'd go for the B2 over the Varispeed just because it seems more versatile in terms of the variety of echoes you can get from it. I need a bit more time to check out the GS-201 properly.

Definitely looks like people tend to gravitate to different ones. 😁

• edited September 2022

Way too short to say, dailing all sorts of stuff in an out. *I would like to turn the tape noise down sometimes, but I can’t :smile: That’s what I like about the B2, motor noise control. *(Might me one of my fx, still testing, ignore).
    One thing I noticed is that the UI text is bit blurry, like an upsized low res image. Is that me? It can’t be my eyes, usually when a beautiful lady walks by I can see very clearly.

• @Slush said:
    Way too short to say, dailing all sorts of stuff in an out. I would like to turn the tape noise down sometimes, but I can’t :smile: That’s what I like about the B2, motor noise control.
    One thing I noticed is that the UI text is bit blurry, like an upsized low res image. Is that me? It can’t be my eyes, usually when a beautiful lady walks by I can see very clearly.

My eyes are not great but I hate the font on the space echo, I really have trouble reading what the bottom 3 controls are on my smaller ipad. The colour, the lack of contrast and sharpness, and the shadow effect from the knobs above.... Not ideal at all.

Playing with all three of these now and I must say they really are all nice. I think it depends a lot on what you're putting in. Lots going on in the high frequency range can make the B2 sound a bit messy, and not in a good way, at higher echo volumes. The Varispeed really has a lovely tone. Space Echo too. I think I've already changed my mind about the B2 being my favourite 😂 but need to compare with more sounds.

• edited September 2022

sorry double post

• Nah, it really just depends so much what you're feeding them

• @Gavinski said:

@Slush said:
    Way too short to say, dailing all sorts of stuff in an out. I would like to turn the tape noise down sometimes, but I can’t :smile: That’s what I like about the B2, motor noise control.

My eyes are not great but I hate the font on the space echo, I really have trouble reading what the bottom 3 controls are on my smaller ipad. The colour, the lack of contrast and sharpness, and the shadow effect from the knobs above.... Not ideal at all.

Playing with all three of these now and I must say they really are all nice. I think it depends a lot on what you're putting in. Lots going on in the high frequency range can make the B2 sound a bit messy, and not in a good way, at higher echo volumes. The Varispeed really has a lovely tone. Space Echo too. I think I've already changed my mind about the B2 being my favourite 😂 but need to compare with more sounds.

Yes, depends alot on the sound. One works better than the other.

• Why doesn't this have host sync? Every other 201 emulation has that and more. Overpriced for what's being offered. I'll consider buying if/when that's added. I might use RE-1 instead by Kai Aras: https://numericalaudio.com/re1/index.html

• @auxmux said:
    Why doesn't this have host sync? Every other 201 emulation has that and more. Overpriced for what's being offered. I'll consider buying if/when that's added. I might use RE-1 instead by Kai Aras: https://numericalaudio.com/re1/index.html

What’s been offered here is a faithful emulation of the original device that doesn’t have sync either. Just as the B2 & Copycat doesn’t have sync. It works fine but needs a bit more tweaking. RE-1 is another type of delay, not a Roland Space Echo.

• I made this before the 201 came out so the comparison is with the Varispeed instead but it underlines the difference between that and the GSI apps in general in my opinion:

• Just a very VERY quick and dirty screen record to illustrate the differences between the 3 on roughly the same settings:

• edited September 2022

@Slush said:

@auxmux said:
    Why doesn't this have host sync? Every other 201 emulation has that and more. Overpriced for what's being offered. I'll consider buying if/when that's added. I might use RE-1 instead by Kai Aras: https://numericalaudio.com/re1/index.html

What’s been offered here is a faithful emulation of the original device that doesn’t have sync either. Just as the B2 & Copycat doesn’t have sync. It works fine but needs a bit more tweaking. RE-1 is another type of delay, not a Roland Space Echo.

Anything digital can't be faithful 100%. On desktop, I have like 3 space echo clones: Arturia, Cherry Audio, and Audiothing. They all offer sync.

From a functional perspective, Re1 looks pretty close to a souped up 201 without the skeuomorphic design. I always forget about it.

• @auxmux said:

@Slush said:

@auxmux said:

Anything digital can't be faithful 100%. On desktop, I have like 3 space echo clones: Arturia, Cherry Audio, and Audiothing. They all offer sync.

True. Who knows the dev will add it later on.

• @auxmux said:
    From a functional perspective, Re1 looks pretty close to a souped up 201 without the skeuomorphic design. I always forget about it.

The sound isn't anywhere close though IMO

• Personally, I welcome this plugin without host sync. There are other delays for that purpose.

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    I made this before the 201 came out so the comparison is with the Varispeed instead but it underlines the difference between that and the GSI apps in general in my opinion:

Completely agree, Copicat is SO much more musical. The RE-1 almost makes it sound like a computer game.

• I like the product as-is, but to purposefully leave out aspects of the desktop version seems like a weird marketing strategy.

• @PeteSasqwax said:
    Just a very VERY quick and dirty screen record to illustrate the differences between the 3 on roughly the same settings:

Funny old world - my WEM Copicat used to drive me nuts in the 80’s with its squeaky, wobbly noises, and I was over the moon when I finally got a Boss delay pedal with its clean, crisp sound.

Decades later and I’m spending a fortune on apps and software to make everything sound old and wobbly again.

• @Grandbear said:
    I like the product as-is, but to purposefully leave out aspects of the desktop version seems like a weird marketing strategy.

Yeah, I don’t understand why he would do it unless he had a simple build of the basic unit and it cost less time to port for some reason. I know nothing about coding, though, but still seems strange.

And lole at the non-sync complainers. Feel lucky you didn’t live in the 90s or earlier. Getting your delay timing was an art. Almost a lost art now. We took great pride in our precise knob turning.

• To me it sounds quite good. I have had an original. But it would have been great to be able to adjust some things. For instance noise level or flutter. As with the original I can change the tape or service the unit to get a clean(er) sound again. Maybe this will be added with an update.

• edited September 2022

@oat_phipps said:

@Grandbear said:
    I like the product as-is, but to purposefully leave out aspects of the desktop version seems like a weird marketing strategy.

Yeah, I don’t understand why he would do it unless he had a simple build of the basic unit and it cost less time to port for some reason. I know nothing about coding, though, but still seems strange.

And lole at the non-sync complainers. Feel lucky you didn’t live in the 90s or earlier. Getting your delay timing was an art. Almost a lost art now. We took great pride in our precise knob turning.

Yeah, it's not the 70s, 80s, 90s, it's 2022, which is why sync is a basic function and guess what: it's on the desktop version of this fx. So, I can complain as much as some others do about every other app release.

I might still get Timeverb and I already bought Varispeed.

• @Slush said:
    Completely agree, Copicat is SO much more musical. The RE-1 almost makes it sound like a computer game.

Exactly! Maybe the RE1 isn't attempting to be a tape delay and I'm doing it a disservice contrasting the two. I really don't feel that they're remotely comparable.