Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sharing parameteres between AUM and TouchOSC

Hello guys, I'm trying to find a way to share parameters between AUM and TouchOSC.

'll try to explain what I want to achieve:

I have a program change triggering session load on AUM via a MIDI interface connected to an iPad.
Every song of the show has a different AUM session, loaded via program change due to different effects parameters (all song share same plugins, just different settings / BPM)

AUM is controlled by TouchOSC. Problem is when I load an AUM session TouchOSC faders / buttons are in the previous song state and do not reflect the new one.

I'd like to load AUM session and send Touch OSC faders level and plugin bypass state (those are the only things I need in Touch OSC). Do you guys have any clue?

Comments

• I think you have 2 problems. First, knowing the settings of the AUM faders and bypasses. Second, telling TouchOSC about those values.

Assuming TouchOSC is sending MIDI CCs, you could do the first with StreamByter. Make a script that records the value of every CC it sees. Save the values in permanant registers (+P on initialization). Route the TouchOSC output through the script and on to AUM MIDI Control. When you save an AUM preset, the StreamByter data will be saved with the preset, and it will be restored when the preset is loaded.

For the second, the script needs to send the values to TouchOSC on load. Having StreamByter code that runs once on load is pretty simple. I'm not familiar with TouchOSC, so I don't know how to send data to it, or if that's even possible. Could we just send it the values of the same CCs?

• I think there may be a solution for you in the Mozaic script Controller Tracker and Snapshots.

What you would do is send TouchOSC not to AUM Midi Control, but to this script. You then route the script output to both AUM Midi Control and back to TouchOSC.

The script keeps track of the last value of everything sent through it. When you save the AUM session, all those values are saved in the state. When you reload the session the last values are "dumped" out to AUM and TouchOSC, thus syncing the knobs and faders.

You can ignore the snapshots part of the script. The above functionality will work either way.

• @wim said:
    I think there may be a solution for you in the Mozaic script Controller Tracker and Snapshots.

What you would do is send TouchOSC not to AUM Midi Control, but to this script. You then route the script output to both AUM Midi Control and back to TouchOSC.

The script keeps track of the last value of everything sent through it. When you save the AUM session, all those values are saved in the state. When you reload the session the last values are "dumped" out to AUM and TouchOSC, thus syncing the knobs and faders.

You can ignore the snapshots part of the script. The above functionality will work either way.

Sounds good. This script already does what I described. And the TouchOSC manual seems to imply that it will respond to the same CCs it sends. You need to enable "Receive" for those controls, probably turn off "Feedback".

• A3CA3C
    edited September 2022

thanks for the fast reply guys. I've got Mozaic and the script, but 'm not that good in understanding scripts from instructions inside the code. is there a tutorial I can watch to learn how to use it / have an example project you can share ?

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

@A3C said:
    thanks for the fast reply guys. I've got Mozaic and the script, but 'm not that good in understanding scripts from instructions inside the code. is there a tutorial I can watch to learn how to use it / have an example project you can share ?

It's easier than you think and you should not need to delve into the code.

I assume you already have TouchOSC routed to MIDI Control in AUM. So what you're going to do is:
    1. Add Mozaic to a MIDI lane in AUM and load the script
    2. Change the routing from TouchOSC from MIDI Control to Mozaic
    3. Route Mozaic to MIDI Control and to TouchOSC
    4. (Only need to do once) adjust all controls in AUM to their initial values from TouchOSC
    5. Save the AUM session.

That should just about do it.

Routing Matrix example:

I doubt anyone has done a video showing this in use. It's only been downloaded 11 times. And I don't know what a video would demonstrate that would make it easier to understand. Maybe just give it a try and then ask questions if you run into problems. 👍🏼

• @A3C i use a similar script with all of my controllers and use the EXACT same routing setup as wim. there really isnt any interaction with it. the mozaic script just sits between touchosc and aum, and just logs everything.

• A3CA3C
    edited September 2022

is it ok if all the pads are labelled as "empty" ?

I'm asking it because TouchOSC now doesn't remote AUM anymore (and loading session do not recall TouchOSC either)

looks like I have to patch Mozaik controllers with AUM

• @A3C said:
    is it ok if all the pads are labelled as "empty" ?

I'm asking it because TouchOSC now doesn't remote AUM anymore (and loading session do not recall TouchOSC either)

The pads being empty have no effect. They are simply for storing "snapshots". At any time you can store the current settings into one of the pad snapshots for later recall. Let's say you wanted to experiment with some different fader settings but not lose the existing ones. You could store a snapshot, make your changes, and then if you want to revert to the old ones, you could just recall that saved snapshot.

But you can ignore the pads now.

Focus on the routing. That's most likely your issue. Can you post a screenshot of your routing setup?

Also, keep in mind, TouchOSC does not work in the background. TouchOSC has to be in the foreground to do anything.

• OK!

sure

• That looks correct.

So what happens? You move controls in TouchOSC and they don't control anything in AUM? Or?

Maybe post a screenshot of the routing of an original session before involving Mozaic.

• So what happens? You move controls in TouchOSC and they don't control anything in AUM? Or?

Nothing happens when I move controls in TouchOSC

this was MIDI connection before involving Mozaik

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

TouchOSC is probably set up to send to AUM rather than its virtual port. Try adding a routing from 'AUM' Destination to Mozaic.

• ok now TouchOSC is controlling AUM again. problem is when I switch back from AUM to TouchOSC (after saving AUM session) all TouchOSC faders go to zero

• I set TouchOSC to send to its virtual port, still remoting but same "reset" problem
    Feedback is disabled on midi messages in TouchOSC

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

You also may > @A3C said:

ok now TouchOSC is controlling AUM again. problem is when I switch back from AUM to TouchOSC (after saving AUM session) all TouchOSC faders go to zero

I think you may need feedback turned on.
    I might need to do a test setup. I've never used this with TouchOSC directly.

One big problem I see is TouchOSC doesn't work in the background. In other words, it can't do a thing when you're in AUM.

I don't understand why the faders would go to zero though. At worst they should be the same as you left them when you switch back. This makes me think there's still a routing issue or two.

• I just want to be sure that one other thing is clear: For this to work, you can only manipulate controls through TouchOSC. AUM doesn't send midi when you control its faders, so it will not update TouchOSC. If you update controls in AUM they'll be out of sync with the TouchOSC controls.

• yes I know! I'm setting up this in TouchOSC cause I don't want the performer messing up in AUM! that's the whole point ;D

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

OK, so how are you loading the AUM sessions? Are you loading them from a control in TouchOSC?
    [edit nvm. I see you explained that in the original post]

• I just discovered TouchOSC got resetted because it was in client mode and the server forced it to edit values.
    I enabled Feedback on faders and buttons I want to control.
    Now AUM is controlled by touchOSC and I can switch between apps maintaining settings, but settings are not sent to touchOSC when I reload the session

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

I've set up a test session, and everything is working as expected.

1. Manipulate controls in TouchOSC and verify that faders move in AUM as expected.
    2. Save session in AUM.
    3. Manipulate controls in TouchOSC.
    4. Load session in AUM via program change sent from TouchOSC.
    5. Verify that controls go back to their position when the session was saved.

If this doesn't work for you we'll just have to figure out where the routing or whatever needs to change.

TIP: You can run TouchOSC in "popover" mode in AUM so that you can more easily see what's going on.

• A3CA3C
    edited September 2022

sure thing problem is my lack of experience with touchOSC + AUM (first time I'm using them)

TIP: You can run TouchOSC in "popover" mode in AUM so that you can more easily see what's going on.<

how?
    EDIT: you mean slide over, ok I got it

Verify that controls go back to their position when the session was saved.<

you mean controls in TouchOSC, right?

• looks like TouchOSC is not running when in background

• @A3C said:
    looks like TouchOSC is not running when in background

That is correct. It can't. It has to be in the foreground or it does nothing.

• I did it.
    Problem was messing up here and again with midi connection I accidentally re-enabled touchOSC to MIDI Control connection.
    It's 2AM here, I started rehearsals with the band 17 hours ago and I'm a little tired..
    thanks for your help, mate. really.

• @A3C said:
    sure thing problem is my lack of experience with touchOSC + AUM (first time I'm using them)

TIP: You can run TouchOSC in "popover" mode in AUM so that you can more easily see what's going on.<

how?

Open TouchOSC, then tap the three "multitasking" dots at the top of the screen. That will give you a popup with three choices. The one on the right is the only choice that will work with AUM. Tap that and you'll be returned to the Home Screen. Bring AUM to the foreground and you should then see TouchOSC overlayed on AUM. You can move the window around by dragging from the top of the window. When you want to go back to full screen, tap the three dots again and pick the option on the left.

Verify that controls go back to their position when the session was saved.<

you mean controls in TouchOSC, right?

Yes

• @A3C said:
    I did it.
    Problem was messing up here and again with midi connection I accidentally re-enabled touchOSC to MIDI Control connection.
    It's 2AM here, I started rehearsals with the band 17 hours ago and I'm a little tired..
    thanks for your help, mate. really.

Great. I'm glad it's working for you. 👍🏼

• Excellent expertise @wim.