Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reboot iPad between different AUM or Drambo projects?

I reboot my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 " (hold top and side buttons down until iPad switches off) whenever I'm finished working on an AUM or Drambo project involving multiple auv3 synths and am about to work on another project involving different auv3 synths.

I do this because I have a dim memory of being told that this method ensures all traces of the previous synths are removed from memory, thus allowing the new synths a clean workspace (sorry for the technojargon).

Thinking about it, I've realised that what I'm really doing is sending a little prayer to the iOS gods that they not pester me with unfathomable glitches. My off/on ritual is a talisman against the iPad's evil eye.

It's boring. Do I really have to do it?

Comments

• It's a good practice whenever you're using anything Inter-App Audio (IAA) related. There can be ghost processes and midi connections left over.

However, if you're only using AUv3 synths, IMO, you may not need to do that. Technically AUM is an IAA enabled app, so maybe there's a chance, but I sort of doubt it.

Clearing memory is a good practice that takes less time than a reboot. However, it's a bit of a pain when your device doesn't have a home button. It can be done, but it involves setting up an accessibility shortcut to place a software home button on your screen. I probably wouldn't go to that trouble myself.

• @wim said:
    Clearing memory is a good practice that takes less time than a reboot. However, it's a bit of a pain when your device doesn't have a home button. It can be done, but it involves setting up an accessibility shortcut to place a software home button on your screen. I probably wouldn't go to that trouble myself.

Sounds interesting. I haven't heard of 'clearing memory' outside of rebooting. I already have one accessibility shortcut on my screen, I wouldn't mind another, especially if it's faster than rebooting. Would you know the name of the shortcut? I'm going to have an explore now.

• I went into Settings> Accessibility with no luck. I did however find an accessibility shortcut called People Detection. Made me glad once again that I have taped over my iPad's camera.

• If you scroll down a bit in this article it's explained, I think.

https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-clear-ram-on-iphone

• If you’re not experiencing crashes or other issues, there’s no need to force restart your iPad every time.

• @NeuM said:
    If you’re not experiencing crashes or other issues, there’s no need to force restart your iPad every time.

Consider my crash-testing begun. :)

• @markk said:

@NeuM said:
    If you’re not experiencing crashes or other issues, there’s no need to force restart your iPad every time.

Consider my crash-testing begun. :)

So you ARE experiencing crashes?

• @NeuM said:

No, but I've been babying the setup. I'll stop doing that and see what happens. I guess I may be a bit paranoid that I might cause permanent damage some how.

• @markk said:

@NeuM said:

No, but I've been babying the setup. I'll stop doing that and see what happens. I guess I may be a bit paranoid that I might cause permanent damage some how.

A hard reboot is usually a pretty safe thing to do, but it’s really not necessary unless you’re experiencing problems.

• @NeuM said:
    A hard reboot is usually a pretty safe thing to do, but it’s really not necessary unless you’re experiencing problems.

That's the top and side button pressed together for a few seconds, right? On a 2020 12.9 Pro?

• @markk said:

@NeuM said:

That's the top and side button pressed together for a few seconds, right? On a 2020 12.9 Pro?

Here you go: https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/force-restart-ipad-ipad9955c007/ipados

• wimwim
    edited September 2022

@markk said:

@NeuM said:

It's really hard to imagine a scenario where you could do permanent damage to anything. Just try to avoid throwing your iPad across the room or beating yourself over the head with it and you should be fine.

• Note that rebooting will make your device "slower" during some time while all the various iOS internal stuff is starting up, indexing stuff, etc.. Don't reboot unless it actually fixes a problem.

• At times, it can happen that defunct processes aren't terminated properly and still consume memory for example.
    That can even happen with Safari, as regular related security fixes have shown.

I agree though that I'd only reboot when things start to go wild.