Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: The Rings of Power

Comments

• EP 4 was the best one yet. Really enjoyed it.

• I hope the Galadriel hate does not extend to the actress who plays her - watch her in Saint Maud, certainly one of the best British actresses around.

• @Gavinski said:
    I hope the Galadriel hate does not extend to the actress who plays her - watch her in Saint Maud, certainly one of the best British actresses around.

I’ll try to check it out. I keep hearing a lot of comments about her acting in other things but haven’t seen anything.

Despite being somewhat neutral about her character in the first episode, I think her portrayal has grown on me quite a bit. I’m sure she knows the source material, and has apartes to the changes from that source material well. At first I couldn’t get out of my mind that it wasn’t Cate Blanchett (who really just played it very safe with the character), but that hasn’t been in my mind at all now.

One of these days I’m going to buy the collection of Tolkien’s letters, as so many people who have read it have said that it’s really enlightening to read his own take on various aspects of his books and their characters.

• I was thinking about the show again this afternoon, and think I’ll re-read the appendices this week, as it will help me get things set straight about some of the events of the second age.

• edited September 2022

@Gavinski said:
    I hope the Galadriel hate does not extend to the actress who plays her - watch her in Saint Maud, certainly one of the best British actresses around.

Yes, she's the best thing in it (ok, next to the visuals) – and this in a show that has Peter Mullen as the King of the Dwarves – even if her character is as excruciatingly written as all the others. Saint Maud was a harrowing watch but she was amazing in it, which is basically still the situation here.

I don't know whether it was the absence of Harfoots or whether I'm just getting numbed to the awfulness, but I quite enjoyed this week's. Everyone else has probably long since realised what the season arc is, but the penny only just dropped with me that

it's about which character will turn out to be Sauron, with Joseph Mawle as the reddest herring and either Gandalf guy or supposed king in exile as the reveal. I'm going with the latter because of the fishy business on the raft, but the former would be cooler.

My daughter fell about at the mention of Morgoth, who she spent the episode thinking was called Mall Goth.

• @Masanga said:
    My daughter fell about at the mention of Morgoth, who she spent the episode thinking was called Mall Goth.

:lol:

Hanging out at Hot Topic no doubt…

• @Masanga said:

@Gavinski said:

Yes, she's the best thing in it (ok, next to the visuals) – and this in a show that has Peter Mullen as the King of the Dwarves – even if her character is as excruciatingly written as all the others. Saint Maud was a harrowing watch but she was amazing in it, which is basically still the situation here.

I don't know whether it was the absence of Harfoots or whether I'm just getting numbed to the awfulness, but I quite enjoyed this week's. Everyone else has probably long since realised what the season arc is, but the penny only just dropped with me that

it's about which character will turn out to be Sauron, with Joseph Mawle as the reddest herring and either Gandalf guy or supposed king in exile as the reveal. I'm going with the latter because of the fishy business on the raft, but the former would be cooler.

Haha. The Mall Goths... Great name for a band

• @Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

@Gavinski said:

Better jump on that one. Before you know it, there might be a boy band out of South Korea climbing the charts with that name.

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

@Gavinski said:

Better jump on that one. Before you know it, there might be a boy band out of South Korea climbing the charts with that name.

😂

• @NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

I'd never heard of mall goths, but it's quite the image search.

It shows the importance of rolling your Tolkienian final Rs Ian McKellen-style. Galadriel seems to be the only character who can pronounce Númenor; in the speech of Númenor itself, whose accent seems to come from the sunset towers of Tufnell Park, everyone calls it Noomy-Naw, who sounds like a rejected character from In the Night Garden.

• @Masanga said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

It shows the importance of rolling your Tolkienian final Rs Ian McKellen-style. Galadriel seems to be the only character who can pronounce Númenor; in the speech of Númenor itself, whose accent seems to come from the sunset towers of Tufnell Park, everyone calls it Noomy-Naw, who sounds like a rejected character from In the Night Garden.

Yeah, they're pretty inconsistent with the rolling 'r'

• @Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

Accents in general. It’s easy to spot the forced accents of the few American actors, but the regional English and ‘Irish’ accents are all over the place too.

Not a good advertisement for the voice coaches on this, but to be honest it’s mostly something I can overlook.

• @michael_m said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

Accents in general. It’s easy to spot the forced accents of the few American actors, but the regional English and ‘Irish’ accents are all over the place too.

Not a good advertisement for the voice coaches on this, but to be honest it’s mostly something I can overlook.

Yep.... Whoever was voice coaching this deserves to be thrown into the crack of doom 😂

• Technically it’s pronounced crack of dum.

• @Tarekith said:
    Technically it’s pronounced crack of dum.

Or for the harfoots the craic of doom.

• @michael_m said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

@NeuM said:

@Gavinski said:

@Masanga said:

Yep.... Whoever was voice coaching this deserves to be thrown into the crack of doom 😂 > @michael_m said:

@Tarekith said:
    Technically it’s pronounced crack of dum.

Or for the harfoots the craic of doom.

Hahahaha. Coming from Ireland, that cracked me up (and yes, you can't say craiced me up 😋). The craic here is good, nevertheless.

• @Gavinski said:
    Hahahaha. Coming from Ireland, that cracked me up (and yes, you can't say craiced me up 😋). The craic here is good, nevertheless.

I wasn’t born in Ireland, but have a lot of family in and around Belfast (where my father was born), so know a good deal of expressions and slang, and have good friends from over the border.

To me the harfoots sound exactly like the way that English people do comedy ‘Irish’ accents, but the awfulness of some of it does make me smile.

• @michael_m said:

@Gavinski said:

I wasn’t born in Ireland, but have a lot of family in and around Belfast (where my father was born), so know a good deal of expressions and slang, and have good friends from over the border.

To me the harfoots sound exactly like the way that English people do comedy ‘Irish’ accents, but the awfulness of some of it does make me smile.

I'm used to bad Irish accents 😂

Also, the fact that the harfoots (even though it sounds like a perversion of 'halfwit 😂) doesn't bother me. I think the idea was to lend a rustic and playful tone, which the Southern Irish accent certainly does.

Want some real Ireland?:

• @Gavinski said:

@michael_m said:

@Gavinski said:

Also, the fact that the harfoots (even though it sounds like a perversion of 'halfwit 😂) doesn't bother me. I think the idea was to lend a rustic and playful tone, which the Southern Irish accent certainly does.

And in fairness, the inexplicably Scottish dwarves aren't as bad (to my Glaswegian ears, at least).

• @Masanga said:

@Gavinski said:

@michael_m said:

@Gavinski said:

And in fairness, the inexplicably Scottish dwarves aren't as bad (to my Glaswegian ears, at least).

They’re more consistent for sure, but for really bad you just have to listen to the huge variety of accents among the Numenorians - it’s as if no one is really trying.

• @michael_m said:

@Masanga said:

@Gavinski said:

@michael_m said:

@Gavinski said:

They’re more consistent for sure, but for really bad you just have to listen to the huge variety of accents among the Numenorians - it’s as if no one is really trying.

And therein lies the fundamental problem with this series. No attention to detail. Must be nice for the production company and their hires getting paid $1 billion for such sloppy work.

• @NeuM said:

@michael_m said:

@Masanga said:

@Gavinski said:

@michael_m said:

@Gavinski said:

And therein lies the fundamental problem with this series. No attention to detail. Must be nice for the production company and their hires getting paid $1 billion for such sloppy work.

Elendil’s daughter was the really obvious one to me. She doesn’t sound any different to the average British YouTuber from the south east of the country.

• @michael_m said:
    Elendil’s daughter ...

Elendil didn't have a daughter.

• @cyberheater said:

@michael_m said:
    Elendil’s daughter ...

On this kind of thing I think we need to give the producers some creative license. They paid huge amounts of money for access to a tiny amount of words. You can't make that work without a bit of 'going off script'.

• @Gavinski said:

@cyberheater said:

@michael_m said:
    Elendil’s daughter ...

On this kind of thing I think we need to give the producers some creative license. They paid huge amounts of money for access to a tiny amount of words. You can't make that work without a bit of 'going off script'.

All we know is that a daughter wasn’t mentioned in the books, so not too concerned about seeing one appear. I’m more concerned about her not turning up for her voice coaching lessons…

• @Gavinski said:

@cyberheater said:

@michael_m said:
    Elendil’s daughter ...

He had a perfectly serviceable brother called Anárion. No need to make up characters when a actual character exists.

• @cyberheater said:

@Gavinski said:

@cyberheater said:

@michael_m said:
    Elendil’s daughter ...

He had a perfectly serviceable brother called Anárion. No need to make up characters when a actual character exists.

Maybe Anárion’s personality in written sources doesn’t match what is required by the script so it’s more appropriate to have a different family member provide a particular voice?

I really don’t think the addition of a sister is that big of a deal. I mean, who can say what is right or wrong about things that Tolkien didn’t write about at all? Significantly altering existing characters is one thing, but I don’t really see a problem with creating new ones.

• @michael_m said:
    but I don’t really see a problem with creating new ones.

She clearly has an important story arc in the tv series but it’s got nothing to do with Tolkiens work. That’s my problem with it.

• @cyberheater said:

@michael_m said:
    but I don’t really see a problem with creating new ones.

She clearly has an important story arc in the tv series but it’s got nothing to do with Tolkiens work. That’s my problem with it.

Even Tolkien wasn’t a Tolkien literalist. He revised the Hobbit when working on LOTR cuz he realized that the Gollum chapter did not make sense in terms of what he was writing. Then he planned a major revision of LOTR itself that he was talked out of.

There is no reason for an adapter to slavishly treat source text … or sketchy source notes … as inviolable.

Making good adaptations…particularly from work of another era will involve changes. Not saying that this series is good just that failing to be literalist is not inherently a failing.

The paucity of female characters is a weakness in the source work not a strength. Correcting that weakness is not necessarily a detriment.

If you need something that is not at variance from the source to the least degree, read the books.

• @espiegel123 said:
    The paucity of female characters is a weakness in the source work not a strength. Correcting that weakness is not necessarily a detriment.

And that's the problem where folks think it's okay to "correct" the work of the source material so they can write the story that they want to write. I can understand it but I don't agree with it.

Still, as a TV series I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to when the whole first series is finished so I can watch them all back to back.