Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala Update 1.2.0

Recently updated Sitala and now it takes several seconds for each of the pad samples to load…screenshot below. Once re-saved, the set loads properly. [EDIT: this appears to be not the case; saved kits still take several seconds to reload.]
This happens each time I load a set. Not looking forward to re-saving my many sets. Anyone else experience this? If so, have you found a solution, aside from re-saving? Thanks.
EDIT: the screenshot represents a single audio file, chopped and only needs to be re-loaded once; the hassle is with different samples for each pad.

Comments

• In addition, the Browse Samples pane is not responsive to the touch when creating a new kit.

• Up until the update, accessing a sample folder was almost instantly, but since the update, the access is laggy and today the app even froze a Cubasis project I was working on... Sitala is great, let's hope a fix is coming soon

• how do i allow sitala to access samples in audioshare? it seems no not be selectable in the sample folder menu

• Sitala can't see other file providers. Only iPad local folders and iCloud.

• @JanKun said:
    …Sitala is great, let's hope a fix is coming soon

Agreed on both counts!

• @eross said:
    how do i allow sitala to access samples in audioshare? it seems no not be selectable in the sample folder menu

You can load single samples from AudioShare but you can not 'browse' AudioShare folders on pads. It's an iOS thing and nothing Sitala devs can work around. AudioShare needs to drop the FileProvider Extension and just show its files in directly in The Files.app. That's the only way to 'fix' this...

I'll tag @scotchi and @luzifer in case they miss this thread...
    ...and only @j_liljedahl knows when the next AudioShare update will arrive...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@eross said:
    how do i allow sitala to access samples in audioshare? it seems no not be selectable in the sample folder menu

You can load single samples from AudioShare but you can not 'browse' AudioShare folders on pads. It's an iOS thing and nothing Sitala devs can work around. AudioShare needs to drop the FileProvider Extension and just show its files in directly in The Files.app. That's the only way to 'fix' this...

Because of the AudioShare FileProvider extension, other apps can browse the AudioShare files. You just need to enable it in the sidebar if it's not already there.

For example in PaulStretch:

So yes, any app dev can do this.

• @j_liljedahl said:

It is possible to import single samples from AudioShare into Sitala from the AudioShare FileProvider extensions/side-bar but not do the in-line pad-swipe browsing/linking of the samples once a sample has been loaded which is one of Sitalas main features.

If/when the next AudioShare update drops please do give us an option to disable the file provider extension and show the AudioShare's Documents folder in Files.app as an option. That would solve the 'problem' and allow direct linking to files managed with AudioShare.

Cheers!

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@eross said:

Because of the AudioShare FileProvider extension, other apps can browse the AudioShare files. You just need to enable it in the sidebar if it's not already there.

For example in PaulStretch:

That’s what’s weird, some apps have it…

• edited September 2022

@zilld2017 said:
    Recently updated Sitala and now it takes several seconds for each of the pad samples to load…screenshot below. [...]

Is this something that you're seeing on iCloud Drive kits (new in this release), or also on kits saved to the iPad?

Related question: even if this is for a kit on your iPad, are you using / signed in to iCloud Drive? (This is almost certainly in someway linked to our iCloud Drive support, so just trying to see if we can narrow down what cases it's happening in. I'm not around my iPad at the moment to try the different combinations myself.)

• As mentioned you can import/load individual samples from Audioshare in Sitala…

• @Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

It is possible to import single samples from AudioShare into Sitala from the AudioShare FileProvider extensions/side-bar but not do the in-line pad-swipe browsing/linking of the samples once a sample has been loaded which is one of Sitalas main features.

If/when the next AudioShare update drops please do give us an option to disable the file provider extension and show the AudioShare's Documents folder in Files.app as an option. That would solve the 'problem' and allow direct linking to files managed with AudioShare.

Yes this is the plan. But I don’t understand why? In what way and why is Sitala (or Files app?) treating File Provider extensions differently than ”On My iPad” folders?

• edited September 2022

@j_liljedahl said:

Yes this is the plan. But I don’t understand why? In what way and why is Sitala (or Files app?) treating File Provider extensions differently than ”On My iPad” folders?

That is a question only Apple can answer in detail...

My guess is that for example iCloud Drive and SMB-Shares are 'mount-points' while Storage Provider Extensions can only pass files one-by-one to the destination app. But that's just my 'guess'.

• @Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

My guess is that for example iCloud Drive and SMB-Shares are 'mount-points' while Storage Provider Extensions can only pass files one-by-one to the destination app. But that's just my 'guess'.

So is the difference that in one case you can load a folder instead of a single file? If so there might be something that could be done on the FileProvider side. I haven't looked at that code for years, so there might be new possibilities now. Did you try any other cloud service FileProviders? (Dropbox, googleDrive, oneDrive, etc?)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@j_liljedahl said:

So is the difference that in one case you can load a folder instead of a single file? If so there might be something that could be done on the FileProvider side. I haven't looked at that code for years, so there might be new possibilities now. Did you try any other cloud service FileProviders? (Dropbox, googleDrive, oneDrive, etc?)

Same ’problem’ when using DropBox, Google Drive and One Drive etc.

Only iCloud works and I strongly suspect it’s not a regular file-provider but a network mount and there is no issues to link to folders on smb-shares mounted in Files.app.

Other than that I’ve not dug any deeper.

Cheers!

• @zilld2017 said:
    Recently updated Sitala and now it takes several seconds for each of the pad samples to load…screenshot below. Once re-saved, the set loads properly.

Thanks for the heads-up. We have identified where the increased load times are coming from and are currently working on a work-around.

• Great news! Was going to post about that as well.

• I've uploaded a build to Apple. I'll DM you guys once it was approved to TestFlight.

• We've just released a version that should fix these issues. Can those of you that were experiencing problems give it a whirl?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sitala/id1605657678

• tpjtpj
    edited October 2022

@luzifer @scotchi

I still have many folder/ 'samples missing' issues with sitala
    -sample folders added that are empty, when they are not.

-Shape knob issue;
    This adds extreme loudness when shortening the envelope.
    that should not happen.
    example;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0n8oe9hlk83bxo/Video 01-10-2022, 07 41 21.mov?dl=0

-knobs
    You can't make touch rotary knobs that work smooth with vertical AND horizontal gesture control. Make them vertical by default and optionally horizontal.
    Currently this feature makes the knobs control like ####.
    No acceleration curves. linear and smooth.

-Gestures
    Sitala uses similar gestures for skipping samples AND setting in and out points.
    Thats asking for a user to go mad. it all feels so clumpsy in control.

-suggestion
    Make a grid of 9-12 knobs that have proper response. read above.
    start , end . attack, decay, release, filter, compressor, pan, volume
    like a logical signal chain.

Add some single tap buttons for prev and next samples.
    Swiping is not a repetitive gesture action. no matter if its a touch screen.
    its like clicking and dragging or scrolling a mouse every time to switch a sample.

I complain because i hope this AMAZING app and its UI/UX gets fixed someday.

Thank you.

• edited October 2022

@tpj said:
    @luzifer @scotchi

I still have many folder/ 'samples missing' issues with sitala
    -sample folders added that are empty, when they are not.

Is there any pattern you're seeing there? Are these with "file providers" (e.g. Dropbox, Audioshare)? That's the only case where we're aware of there being an issue, and that's unfortunately something we have no control of.

-Shape knob issue;
    This adds extreme loudness when shortening the envelope.
    that should not happen.
    example;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0n8oe9hlk83bxo/Video 01-10-2022, 07 41 21.mov?dl=0

Would you mind attaching that sample?

The shape knob is kind of wonky for non-drum sounds since it was designed with percussion hits in mind. The idea there is that when doing envelope shaping that the sample should maintain overall constant loudness, which makes sense particularly when shaping the attack, but for non-percussive samples, we should probably just turn that off. (Specifically on samples over a certain length, or with multiple transients. I thought I remembered that we did that already...)

-knobs
    You can't make touch rotary knobs that work smooth with vertical AND horizontal gesture control. Make them vertical by default and optionally horizontal.
    Currently this feature makes the knobs control like ####.

I went around and tried a bunch of other software after you mentioned this, and it seems closer to standard would be to have it work in both directions, but if you start a horizontal drag that ignores the vertical component for the rest of the drag, and if you start with vertical it ignores horizontal. That's what Garage Band and AUM do. Koala uses different adjustment speeds on the different axis and Cubasis works like Sitala. (Of them though, Cubasis is the GUI I'd be less inclined to take queues from.)

No acceleration curves. linear and smooth.

-Gestures
    Sitala uses similar gestures for skipping samples AND setting in and out points.
    Thats asking for a user to go mad. it all feels so clumpsy in control.

So on this, that's the first time we've ever had anyone complain about such (after hundreds of emails and forum posts). We spent a lot of time trying to tweak things there so that you don't accidentally trigger the wrong gesture (early prototypes were quite hard to use). Like on a lot of things, if this is something we more consistently hear negative feedback on, it's something we'd consider reworking, but up to now that's not been the case.

-suggestion
    Make a grid of 9-12 knobs that have proper response. read above.
    start , end . attack, decay, release, filter, compressor, pan, volume
    like a logical signal chain.

I feel like this is where we're probably getting into territory that I suspect what you're hoping for and Sitala's DNA are probably different things. There are a lot of very knobby apps whose controls do exactly what they say -- but a lot of what we're shooting for (and again, have largely received positive feedback on) is to keep the interface as simple as possible and to not overwhelm the user with knobs. To be honest: the overwhelming majority of the feedback for Sitala has focused on the UI being its strong point.

Add some single tap buttons for prev and next samples.
    Swiping is not a repetitive gesture action. no matter if its a touch screen.
    its like clicking and dragging or scrolling a mouse every time to switch a sample.

This is one that we've heard quite a few times (and actually have on the desktop version). We'll probably play around with this some to see if we can figure something out. The issue is mainly where to put them and how to keep them isolated from the other interface elements (so that you don't get the wrong thing when trying to click them).