Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Just Released: Freebetween by Lady App-titude -- FREE SYNTHS!

edited September 2022 in Creations

"Holy oscillators, Batman! What is that fluctuating fickle fiend up to now?"

Freebetween, the new Lady App-titude project coming soon... (see below)

Video is here:

Bandcamp here:

https://ladyapp-titude.bandcamp.com/track/freebetween

Comments

• I can’t wait for this!

• The Gretsch ❤️!
    BTW, did you sell your National ?

• @JanKun said:
    The Gretsch ❤️!

Ha! Forgot about the National!

Yes, it sold long ago on Ebay. Some woman in Texas bought it.

• Well done, all around. Excellent way to grab one’s attention.

(Posting because I dabble in the fine arts of click baiting)

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@JanKun said:
    The Gretsch ❤️!

Ha! Forgot about the National!

Yes, it sold long ago on Ebay. Some woman in Texas bought it.

If only I was in the US and had the bucks at that time...

• edited September 2022

@seonnthaproducer said:

Well done, all around. Excellent way to grab one’s attention.

(Posting because I dabble in the fine arts of click baiting)

Ha! I'm always trying different things. You hear these stories of how some Youtuber was toiling in obscurity and then one particular video blew up for some reason and suddenly they've got millions of listens and subscribers. Who knows what the secret is, but I just try different approaches and see what happens.

But there ARE actually FREE Synths involved... All shall be revealed.

• OK, this project is now released on Bandcamp! (Video coming soon..)

• Backstory: I was in between projects and noodling around and auditioning patches with Novation’s V-Station and Bass Station synths, which the company had recently decided to discontinue and release for FREE. As often happens, by the first or second patch, I was onto an idea and never got back to the hundreds of the sounds.

At some point, I decided to see if I could finish the rest of the project using only instruments available for FREE and turned to things like Dexed FM Synth, Spitfire Audio’s LABS, and Cherry Audio’s wonderful Surrealistic MG-1 Plus, a recreation of an early Moog synthesizer once sold at Radio Shack stores. Also used was AIR Music Hybrid 3 (which can be obtained FREE bundled with certain hardware, e.g., Akai), and guitar and drums.

I came up with the title “Freebetween” to describe this little creation made in between projects using FREE instruments. However, the term could also describe the sense of freedom that comes with being in between anything in life -- states of affairs, projects, relationships, commitments, etc. Free and in between. Freebetween.

Instruments used:

Novation V-Station
    Novation Bass Station
    Cherry Audio Surrealistic MG-1 Plus
    Digital Suburban Dexed FM Synth
    Spitfire Audio LABS: Synth Strings
    Air Music Hybrid 3 (FREE in bundles)

Guitar and Drums

• edited September 2022

Fantastic! 😃👍🏼🌷

Sounds like you had used vintage analog hardware.

• Your stuff is so good, that I didn’t realize I was manipulated until after listening to two of your songs at full length.

Freebetween is smooth and was pleasantly surprised after the key modulation.

Too Modern is great. I don’t know how you manage to introduce so many different parts and still make it sound cohesive, both musically and with the production.

• edited September 2022

@rs2000 said:
    Fantastic! 😃👍🏼🌷

Sounds like you had used vintage analog hardware.

Thanks. IMO a number of those virtual recreations sound essentially indistinguishable from the hardware to my ear. The Cherry Audio "Surrealistic" Moog feels very analog to me. I have fond memories as a kid of frequently visiting the local Radio Shack just to play the Realistic Moog, which was the only way one could lay hands on an actual Moog synthesizer in those days. It was limited compared to something like the Minimoog, but those were way beyond the means of anyone but rock stars, if you could even find a music store that carried one. The plugin recreates a lot of the limitations of the original, but also expands it with modern options like polyphony! And it's FREE! Definitely one of the best FREE instruments I've tried.

• edited September 2022

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Your stuff is so good, that I didn’t realize I was manipulated until after listening to two of your songs at full length.

Thanks! Manipulated? Um, not sure what that means. :p

Freebetween is smooth and was pleasantly surprised after the key modulation.

Too Modern is great. I don’t know how you manage to introduce so many different parts and still make it sound cohesive, both musically and with the production.

One of the nice things about the post-record label/radio-station-format, etc. era is that you are free to go where your ear leads you. It can, however, be a challenge to figure out how to make it all fit together. Sometimes it just keeps going and never makes it back to where it started (e.g., Synth Book).

I'll tell you one trick I discovered with Freebetween. The bridge modulates through various keys and I was hung up for a long time trying to figure out a chord, or chord sequence, that could get me back to the beginning. Eventually, a drum break was the answer. That side-stepped the need to find a connecting harmonic progression and I was able to get back to where I wanted and wrap things up! Every project presents puzzles to be solved, and finding ways out of them can be a learning experience. :)

• Sounds great as usual @Lady_App_titude! Always a fine production!

• The NEW video for Freebetween is here:

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    OK, this project is now released on Bandcamp! (Video coming soon..)

Nice! Excellent playing and arranging. Great guitar sound — kind of (without being imitative/derivative) in that late 70’s Eric Gale/Lee Ritenour vain. How were the guitar parts tracked?

• @Daveypoo said:
    I'd buy that for a dollar

Well, I'm up to 32 views, 4 comments, 1 new sub, and 7 likes.

So basically living the rock star dream, right?

Oh, and I did sell two copies! One person even paid more than a dollar!

Double Platinum Superstar of the Streaming Age.

• @espiegel123 said:

Nice! Excellent playing and arranging. Great guitar sound — kind of (without being imitative/derivative) in that late 70’s Eric Gale/Lee Ritenour vain.

Thanks! I'll take it! Benson, or maybe Larry Carlton, might be a more direct influence. Of course, I didn't try to sound like anybody. Whole thing was just a problem to be solved. "This part seems like it would sound good on guitar. What kind of guitar? A jazz guitar would make a nice contrast with the synthy stuff." Then it's like spend two weeks learning how to be some kind of jazz guitarist again.

How were the guitar parts tracked?

Good question. Both the rhythm and lead were recorded direct into the "MIC/INSTR IN 1" w/ the toggle switch set to "INSTR TRS" on my MOTU 828mk3. I don't usually record that way, but it worked for this guitar. And I've never used this guitar in a project before. The rhythm was processed through some Amplitube 5 amp chain. Not sure about the lead, would have to open the project and look... But I think it is just direct w/ some comp/EQ and delay.

• Then it's like spend two weeks learning how to be some kind of jazz guitarist again.

Impressive. The parts were played with a competence/confidence/authenticity that makes it seem like this is your wheelhouse. The lines are great. You’ve got that thing going where they sound effortless and singable with an illusion of straightforwardness. (If that makes sense)

• @espiegel123 said:

Then it's like spend two weeks learning how to be some kind of jazz guitarist again.

Impressive. The parts were played with a competence/confidence/authenticity that makes it seem like this is your wheelhouse. The lines are great. You’ve got that thing going where they sound effortless and singable with an illusion of straightforwardness. (If that makes sense)

Thanks! :)

Well, I would still say that guitar is my “main instrument,” (i.e., the only one that I might be able to pull off competently in a live situations), and I did start playing as a teenager and put in the requisite years of woodshedding 7 hours a day, learning all the scales and chords, etc. trying to be the next DiMeola. But I haven’t played it regularly or in a band since like the 90s (and back then it was mostly heavy metal, but always with closet jazz guitar dreams).

Nowadays, I’m more of a composer and don’t really play any instrument competently. I spend most of my time in front of a keyboard, because that’s the best way to layout arrangements, and just learn whatever part or instrument I need to get through the track.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Sounds great as usual @Lady_App_titude! Always a fine production!

Thank you very much, @Edward_Alexander

• edited September 2022

[.]

• I probably enjoyed that more than any other track posted on the forum in quite a while.
    Great synth and guitar playing, key changes etc etc… was trying to think who it reminded me of and then you mention G Benson… great stuff 👍

• @GeoTony said:
    I probably enjoyed that more than any other track posted on the forum in quite a while.
    Great synth and guitar playing, key changes etc etc… was trying to think who it reminded me of and then you mention G Benson… great stuff 👍

Thanks so much, @GeoTony !