Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MC-101/707 1.8 Released!!!

MC-101
[ Ver.1.80 ] SEP 2022
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "MC-101 Update" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].

Import Function Added for MC and MV Production Packs Distributed Via Roland Cloud
Clip Save Function Added
Undo/Redo Functions Added
MFX Types Added
Function Added to Record Messages from External MIDI Devices to MOTION
Tone Partial Editor Function Added
Functions Added to Scatter Edit
Type Settings Added for Batteries to Use
Shortcut Types Added

Bug Fixes
The following bug was fixed.

Arpeggio playback from external MIDI is now possible.
Other minor bugs.
Please refer to the "MC-101 Update" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].

MC-707
[ Ver.1.80 ] SEP 2022
Additional Functions
Please refer to the "MC-707 Update" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].

Import Function Added for MC and MV Production Packs Distributed Via Roland Cloud
Clip Save Function Added
Undo/Redo Functions Added
MFX Types Added
Function Added to Record Messages from External MIDI Devices to MOTION
Function for Successively Assigning Sliced Samples Added to the Sampling Function
Multi-track Mode Added to PAD NOTE
Functions Added to Preview Playback of WAV Files
Shortcut Types Added

Bug Fixes
The following bug was fixed.

Arpeggio playback from external MIDI is now possible.
Other minor bugs.
Please refer to the "MC-707 Update" for detailed information in the [ Owner's Manuals ].

Comments

• Massive update. MC-101 gets a patch editor (MV-1 doesn't, but it gets the randomizer, which was pretty amazing in the 101 - most of the patches it randomly generates are useable in a song, imo.)

Roland has been really impressive over the past few years with these updates.

• @StudioES said:
    Massive update. MC-101 gets a patch editor (MV-1 doesn't, but it gets the randomizer, which was pretty amazing in the 101 - most of the patches it randomly generates are useable in a song, imo.)

Roland has been really impressive over the past few years with these updates.

Yes! I'm excited about the partial tone editor. Turns the 101 into a very capable synth. Yeah, all the recent hardware releases and updates have been pretty incredible.

• I still keep my eye on the Mv-1 but the price feels like it's still high for what it does.

• MC-707 owner here it’s good to see updates, but feeling a little underwhelmed, wising for model expansions, systex, cc implementation akin to Jupiter X. It was the promise of Zenology after all.

• Ok, partial editor on MC101 is game changer .. inability to edit sounds directly from device was only thing holding me back .. massive !

• @dendy said:
    Ok, partial editor on MC101 is game changer .. inability to edit sounds directly from device was only thing holding me back .. massive !

While that's a cool feature the 2*16 display will likely make it a pretty frustrating experience unless they ship it with a free editor, one that preferably one that runs on the iPad :sunglasses:

• @Samu said:

@dendy said:
    Ok, partial editor on MC101 is game changer .. inability to edit sounds directly from device was only thing holding me back .. massive !

While that's a cool feature the 2*16 display will likely make it a pretty frustrating experience unless they ship it with a free editor, one that preferably one that runs on the iPad :sunglasses:

i'm completely ok with that kind of editing (4 params on screen and 4 dedicated knobs for each param) - both my favourite HW synths use same structure and it's a breeze to edit patch that way for me ..

surprisingly it helps me lot more concentrate to individual parameters and set they values more precisely, so at the end i get better patch :)

• @dendy said:

surprisingly it helps me lot more concentrate to individual parameters and set they values more precisely, so at the end i get better patch :)

Could work, I've had to put the MicroFreak in the box as I can no longer see the display without a magnifying glass...
    ...it causes severe eye-strain for me :(

My SY85 has 2*40 display (8 parameters at once) and soft buttons to quickly toggle the values.
    (That thing is back from the closet and I'm enjoying it so much and I'm currently hunting for a USB Floppy replacement for it)

Cheers!

• @dendy said:

@Samu said:

@dendy said:

i'm completely ok with that kind of editing (4 params on screen and 4 dedicated knobs for each param) - both my favourite HW synths use same structure and it's a breeze to edit patch that way for me ..

That can be true but depends on the parameters, your photo was driving my eyesight crazy though ;)

• @knewspeak
    your photo was driving my eyesight crazy though ;)

:lol:

anyway for me this is game changer .. going to collect some cash and immediately when it will be possible, going to buy 101 .. inability to directly edit sounds was literally only reasons why i didn't it yet

• @dendy said:

@knewspeak
    your photo was driving my eyesight crazy though ;)

:lol:

anyway for me this is game changer .. going to collect some cash and immediately when it will be possible, going to buy 101 .. inability to directly edit sounds was literally only reasons why i didn't it yet

If I didn’t have a 707 I would have 101, same form factor as my TR6s <3 have fun.

• Sweet! Undo and auto assign slices were two high on my wishlist, this is great!

• Just updated my TT8s and now this. Looking forward to having better access to editing on the 101.

• Are folks still happy with the MC 707. I'm thinking of getting one.

• edited November 2022

Working on a short set of Xmas tunes on mine.

Has its pros and cons just like any machine.

This is not a comprehensive list of pros and cons - just my personal list.

Cons:

• Only up to 4 velocity layers of samples - could be a downer to those used to luxurious desktop sample libraries with 10 or more layers. Applies to both Tone and Drum tracks.
    • Some button combos harder to remember than others
    • Pads a little less sensitive than pads on MPC One, MPC Keys, etc. even with settings maxed out
    • Cannot delete individual notes from chords in Edit Step screen - need to re-enter entire chord
    • Cannot use Weak Beat feature and see Edit Step screen at the same time - so you can't see the velocity value being toggled between 60 and 80. Also once use use Weak Beat on a step, you can't toggle back to 100
    • Drum Tracks are sample only. Have to use up a Tone Track if you want a synthesized drum part.
    • Probability options may be too limited for those used to Elektron style probabilty.
    • Set up for sending MIDI program change and sync to other gear kinda tricky and hidden.
    • Sequencer does not record incoming MIDI aftertouch or mod wheel. Irritating to some, but for me personally, there have been times where my finger accidentally touched the mod strip on my Keystep 37 while entering notes, and I was glad the unwanted mod data was not recorded. Once the notes are recorded into the clip, I just use motion sequencing to introduce the desired modulation.
    • Metronome by default is loud AF and the settings are hidden in some submenu.

Pros:

• Roland flavored synth tones :)
    • Weak Beats is a quick and easy way to introduce dynamics if your preferred method for drum track building is TR-REC
    • Pairs great with TR-6S, which as a partner can provide the drum synthesis that's missing on the 707. Use the 707 for off-grid sequencing of TR-6S drums - default MIDI mappings make this easy as kicks are mapped to kicks, snare mapped to snare, etc. Some people want scene changes to trigger program changes on the TR-6S but I'm fine with clip changes triggering program change, especially if the MC-707 drum clip is sequencing the TR-6S. The 707 clip can also start a pattern on the TR-6S, which doesn't have to match the 707's pattern, although there may be some competition for TR-6S voices.
    • Clips can be individually named, which is a big help for song organization
    • Transferring projects to my MC-101 for playing live is as easy as transferring the SD card.
  • I love my MC-101. You can do a lot with it, and it’s got even better with time (AKA firmware updates).

Would love to upgrade to an MC-707 at some point, although I have been drawn into the world of Elektron too…

• My current sofa setup :)

• @dendy said:

@Samu said:

@dendy said:

If the synth in the right is a MicroMonsta 2, what is the one on the left? Definitely not a P6, right?

• PreenFM?