Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 instruments for Korg Gadget and AUM AUv3

edited September 2022 in General App Discussion

We have now saveable instruments in Xequence 2, and the list of default CCs for Korg Gadget.
It was just a small effort to combine them.

The Xequence 2 instruments database got started on the Xequence 2's wiki page.

The first batch contains a set of Xequence 2 instruments for Korg Gadget, one for each standard and IAP Gadget (those having CC parameters) with all default CCs mapped to controllers, along with some short instructions to install them (the actual files are hosted somewhere else, courtesy of Google).

Using a Xequence 2 instrument sets up all of this for you

• the instrument name
  • all default CCs mapped to controllers (all available parameters ready to get modulated in your arrangements)
  • the correct drum map for drum machines
  • the MIDI destination
  • a color vaguely recalling that of the synth if possible

Upgrade your Xequence 2 if you haven't yet, the limit in the number of controllers has been recently increased, and some Gadgets and AUv3 need a lot.

Credits: Many many thanks @SevenSystems for having added the instruments in 2.3, and your great support, feedback, and hints. And of course to @uberhaus for having documented all the Gadgets default CCs.

Please comment in this thread in case of mistakes, or suggestions for improvement.

The instruments for some AUv3 in AUM are coming next.

Comments

• That's actually really cool! I didn't know this. I do hope @SevenSystems gives us Xequence 3 MIDI AUv3 someday, but for now these will suffice! Cheers mates.

• Great stuff @crushed 💥 , thanks for all your hard work.

Also: It's currently a bit awkward still when you have many controllers and you want to choose which ones are displayed on the keyboard screen... this will be much improved in 2.4, where you'll be able to select them directly on the keyboard screen instead of in the instrument menu:

• edited September 2022

Thank you guys for your kind feedback!

Added today:
    Xequence2 instruments fo AUv3 hosted in AUM with all parameters mapped to X2 controllers for

• Fractal Bits
    • Koala Sampler
    • OB-Xd

with installation instructions and additional remarks

• edited September 2022

@crushed said:
    Thank you guys for your kind feedback!

Added today:
    Xequence2 instruments fo AUv3 hosted in AUM with all parameters mapped to X2 controllers for

• Fractal Bits
    • Koala Sampler
    • OB-Xd

with installation instructions and additional remarks

this move to saveables is brilliant

SunVox would be ultra cool

• @Littlewoodg glad to know the feature is useful and actually getting used 😊 (not always sure about the latter...)

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Littlewoodg glad to know the feature is useful and actually getting used 😊 (not always sure about the latter...)

you mentioned a long time back quart a sweet partner Xequence is for SunVox. does out make sense to add that one to the saveables library?

• It's been a minute since I touched any of these apps (Gadget, Xequence2) but I had to try these and it was very smooth setup despite time's way of twisting memory. Thanks to you both: @SevenSystems , @crushed . Hopeful to be creating something with it some day soon but everything is a mash with all new setups and apps what not. Too much new to learn leads to learning nothing it seams :D (aimed at myself).

• @Littlewoodg said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @Littlewoodg glad to know the feature is useful and actually getting used 😊 (not always sure about the latter...)

you mentioned a long time back quart a sweet partner Xequence is for SunVox. does out make sense to add that one to the saveables library?

Spontaneous answer: no... as SunVox itself doesn't come with a lot of templates / defaults and everything is so customizable in there that I don't think Xequence instrument templates make a lot of sense... unless the SunVox side is provided with matching templates as well.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@SevenSystems said:

Spontaneous answer: no... as SunVox itself doesn't come with a lot of templates / defaults and everything is so customizable in there that I don't think Xequence instrument templates make a lot of sense... unless the SunVox side is provided with matching templates as well.

I'm on the previous version, so I don't have the instruments save thingie.
    But what I do is have templates on Xequence and on the target apps (Aum, Beathawk, Caustic, iM1, iMS20, iPolySix, SquareSynth, Sunvox, ThumbJam).

For those who have a set number of tracks, I kept them as is (16 in BH, 14 in Caustic, 8 in Thumbjam, etc)
    But for AUM and Sunvox, I set the template as the General Midi standard. 16 tracks, being 10 for Drums)

The link for them templates (only Xequence side, though)
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Mody0TH8W3j5Gfp7zUXB5xhpQ8U9x8Dw?usp=sharing

• @senhorlampada said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@SevenSystems said:

makes sense now that i think about it

I'm on the previous version, so I don't have the instruments save thingie.
    But what I do is have templates on Xequence and on the target apps (Aum, Beathawk, Caustic, iM1, iMS20, iPolySix, SquareSynth, Sunvox, ThumbJam).

For those who have a set number of tracks, I kept them as is (16 in BH, 14 in Caustic, 8 in Thumbjam, etc)
    But for AUM and Sunvox, I set the template as the General Midi standard. 16 tracks, being 10 for Drums)

The link for them templates (only Xequence side, though)
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Mody0TH8W3j5Gfp7zUXB5xhpQ8U9x8Dw?usp=sharing

sweet
    thanks for sharing all this

• :heart:
    Glad to be of help :wink:

• edited September 2022

Two new Xequence 2 instruments for audio units hosted in AUM:

• TAL U-No-LX (including the 4 new parameters of the latest version)
    • Strng
  • Thanks for going to the effort to provide these for us @crushed + @senhorlampada. I am very much looking forward to trying them out once my current project is finished. I had not used the new instrument templates to this extent before so these will be a great demonstration of this function for me.

• just a heads up, mine are templates without the instrument feature. But I guess someone could adapt them. I can even share them on my google drive after the fact. :wink:

• This is cool thanks.

• Two more Xequence 2 instruments for AUM
    * SynthMaster Player
    * BLEASS Monolit

Updated database of Instruments for AUM here

It's really time to thank @j_liljedahl for having added the saveable MIDI mappings in AUM, as well as this absolutely indispensable feature to change the MIDI channel of all mapped controllers in one go, which makes all of this practical to use. I also want to thank you again for your quick and friendly support and advice on the MIDI mapping files.

• @crushed said:
    Two more Xequence 2 instruments for AUM
    * SynthMaster Player
    * BLEASS Monolit

Updated database of Instruments for AUM here

It's really time to thank @j_liljedahl for having added the saveable MIDI mappings in AUM, as well as this absolutely indispensable feature to change the MIDI channel of all mapped controllers in one go, which makes all of this practical to use. I also want to thank you again for your quick and friendly support and advice on the MIDI mapping files.

<3

• Today we publish the Xequence 2 instruments to control the Moog synths

• Animoog Z
    • Model D

Since they offer internal editable MIDI maps, the installation instructions are slightly different. And they can also be used in any host, not only in AUM.

All details on the Instruments database wiki page.

• I’m having my monthly “big app” buy and I’m tryna decide between Xequemce and Drambo… both can make their own instruments?! I thought that was just Drambo, and even then I didn’t realize they can be used as Audio Units. Gnarly.

Audio Units in general can be used in Gadget can they? So this is saying Xequence can make instruments specifically to use in Gadget?! That’s super cool

• @fornax55 said:
    I’m having my monthly “big app” buy and I’m tryna decide between Xequemce and Drambo… both can make their own instruments?! I thought that was just Drambo, and even then I didn’t realize they can be used as Audio Units. Gnarly.

Audio Units in general can be used in Gadget can they? So this is saying Xequence can make instruments specifically to use in Gadget?! That’s super cool

Xequence is a standalone midi sequencer. It isn’t an audio unit and doesn’t contain instruments. You use xequence to control instruments in other apps.

• @fornax55 said:
    I’m having my monthly “big app” buy and I’m tryna decide between Xequemce and Drambo… both can make their own instruments?! I thought that was just Drambo, ...

Xequence 2 "instruments" are just presets with midi CC controls for other apps. They don't make any sounds of their own, but are a way of setting up to control other apps more conveniently.

and even then I didn’t realize they can be used as Audio Units. Gnarly.

Xequence 2 can't be used as an Audio Unit. There are separate apps called Xequence AU Keys, and Xequence AU Pads, which are based on the keyboard and pads from Xequence 2. They should not be confused with the standalone Xequence 2 app.

No, audio units can't be used in Gadget. Gadget is a self-contained system.

You can send MIDI from Xequence 2 to Gadget to play its synths. The "Instruments" referred to are like presets that already have controls set up for the various Gadget synths.

Xequence 2 and Gadget are both standalone apps. Xequence 2 can communicate with Gadget over MIDI. You don't need Xequence to do that, but some people prefer it over Gadget's own sequencer.

I hope that clarifies things a little.

• edited October 2022

To add to above @fornax55. Drambo allows for creating Instruments or fx using sound blocks/modules like a modular synth and it can also be used to host AUs synths and fx like AUM or Audiobus. Depending on what you're looking for, Xequence and Drambo are completely different.

• edited October 2022

Is there a possibility to address the effects in Korg gadget and record them in Xequence 2 ?
    Or even better, the effects in AUM?

• edited October 2022

@robklotzby said:
    Is there a possibility to address the effects in Korg gadget and record them in Xequence 2 ?

I don’t think the Korg Gadget effects are MIDI controllable (not more than they send MIDI messages that can be recorded when you play them).

In AUM It’s certainly possible.
    You’ll have to define the mapping to the effects parameters manually. And if you assign one MIDI channel per effect you might quickly run out of channels (I usually reserve channel 16 to control everything in AUM, that is not a synth/sampler/drum machine.)
    For the recording just use a MIDI controller eg XY that you point to an AUM MIDI output whose input you record in Xequence 2. Feasible, not tedious maybe for a few parameters.

You could imagine having effects handled as instruments in Xequence 2 (subject of this thread) with parameters mapped to CCs, but it would not be scalable, require careful planning and have lots of constraints.

• @crushed said:

@robklotzby said:

I don’t think the Korg Gadget effects are MIDI controllable (not more than they send MIDI messages that can be recorded when you play them).

In AUM It’s certainly possible.
    You’ll have to define the mapping to the effects parameters manually. And if you assign one MIDI channel per effect you might quickly run out of channels (I usually reserve channel 16 to control everything in AUM, that is not a synth/sampler/drum machine.)
    For the recording just use a MIDI controller eg XY that you point to an AUM MIDI output whose input you record in Xequence 2. Feasible, not tedious maybe for a few parameters.

You could imagine having effects handled as instruments in Xequence 2 (subject of this thread) with parameters mapped to CCs, but it would not be scalable, require careful planning and have lots of constraints.

Many thanks!

• @espiegel123 said:

@fornax55 said:
    I’m having my monthly “big app” buy and I’m tryna decide between Xequemce and Drambo… both can make their own instruments?! I thought that was just Drambo, and even then I didn’t realize they can be used as Audio Units. Gnarly.

Xequence is a standalone midi sequencer. It isn’t an audio unit and doesn’t contain instruments. You use xequence to control instruments in other apps.

eehhrr... what are all the posts above us referring to when they say "2 new Xynthesizer instruments here!"> @wim said:

@fornax55 said:
    I’m having my monthly “big app” buy and I’m tryna decide between Xequemce and Drambo… both can make their own instruments?! I thought that was just Drambo, ...

Xequence 2 "instruments" are just presets with midi CC controls for other apps. They don't make any sounds of their own, but are a way of setting up to control other apps more conveniently.

Right, so you're basically making different midi controllers. That's an instrument as far as I'm concerned, and sounds exactly like what I need. Kinda wishing I didn't get Atom 2. I've heard a million great things about it so I'm sure I just haven't figured out a good workflow yet but I'm currently having a blast using Fugue Machine + Ampify's Groovebox and just busting out some wild patterns.

Xequence sounds like it'd open up an opportunity for me to do what I'm doing with Groovebox, however, with all my instruments because I could just route the midi into an Atom instance and play around with the controls through Xequence.
    I'm still having a hard time figuring out how to conveniently switch around patterns in Atom to make it even feasible to record a good song without huge hitches while I'm fiddling around with pattern controls and stuff. Any tips there?

and even then I didn’t realize they can be used as Audio Units. Gnarly.

Xequence 2 can't be used as an Audio Unit. There are separate apps called Xequence AU Keys, and Xequence AU Pads, which are based on the keyboard and pads from Xequence 2. They should not be confused with the standalone Xequence 2 app.

does that mean Atom2 isn't an audio unit then? I guess I was just kind of referring to anything I could plug into AUM as an audio unit but should be differentiating between IAAs, AUVs and whatever Midi-type thingies Xequence & Atom would be called

That first can should have been a "can't," that messed up the meaning pretty bad. A control surface to play with Gadget instrumets would be as far as I'm concerned an instrument, even better than an instrument. My god I hate trying to fiddle with Gadget's controls on a phone screen (still awaiting an ipad)

Thanks for your responses, super glad everyone is so helpful around here. i think i'm traumatized from reddit, constantly walking on glass feeling like someone's gonna bite my head off for something I didn't actually imply :P

• @fornax55 said:
    Xequence sounds like it'd open up an opportunity for me to do what I'm doing with Groovebox, however, with all my instruments because I could just route the midi into an Atom instance and play around with the controls through Xequence.

That statement has me pretty confused. You normally wouldn't route Xequence to Atom. They both do the same thing, sequence midi that gets sent to apps that make the sounds. There's no need to route Xequence to another sequencer, you would just route Xequence's midi output directly to the app to play around with the controllers.

I'm still having a hard time figuring out how to conveniently switch around patterns in Atom to make it even feasible to record a good song without huge hitches while I'm fiddling around with pattern controls and stuff. Any tips there?

I'm not sure I can offer any advice without knowing anything about how you're trying to go about things. One thing I can say is Atom is geared toward individual patterns, looping them, combining them in different ways. It isn't so much geared toward laying out a song in a linear fashion. Xequence is geared toward laying out songs made of on a linear timeline. It sounds like it's more in line with what you're trying to do.

does that mean Atom2 isn't an audio unit then? I guess I was just kind of referring to anything I could plug into AUM as an audio unit but should be differentiating between IAAs, AUVs and whatever Midi-type thingies Xequence & Atom would be called

Whoo boy, this could get complicated. I'm very sleepy right now, so this explanation may not make a lot of sense. AUv3 "Audio Units" are loaded by a host in a very different way than IAA apps. Whether or not they send or receive MIDI, generate sounds in response to MIDI, generate sounds using their own sequencers, or affect sound that passes through them, or any combination of all of those has no relation to whether they are AUv3 or IAA apps. The difference is in how the host interacts with them, not in what they do.

Atom2 is an AUv3 MIDI plugin. AUv3 plugins have certain abilities that IAA apps don't. You can run multiple instances of AUv3 plugins in a single host session. IAA apps can only have one instance at a time. AUv3 plugin instances run in a window in the host. IAA apps run full-screen and you have to switch out of the host app to work with them. The host can save the "state" of AUv3 plugins when you save the host session so that when you re-open the session the AUv3's settings are all just as you left them. IAA plugins don't have this ability (unless they're Audiobus optimized and you're using Audiobus, but let's skip that for now).

Xequence 2 is a standalone app. In many ways it performs the same function as Atom 2. But it's not an AUv3. It can only have one instance, can't run in a window, and without Audiobus, can't have it's state saved in a host session.

Wooofff. I could go on all night and not cover all the aspects of this. The important thing to realize is that AUv3 vs IAA has nothing to do with what the apps themselves do, but how they interact with a host. To make it even more confusing, some apps offer two versions of themselves - they offer both a Standalone/IAA version and an AUv3 version. 🙃

That first can should have been a "can't," that messed up the meaning pretty bad. A control surface to play with Gadget instrumets would be as far as I'm concerned an instrument, even better than an instrument. My god I hate trying to fiddle with Gadget's controls on a phone screen (still awaiting an ipad)

That makes way more sense now, and if you see that as an instrument, then that's totally fine. Whatever works for you. 👍🏼

Thanks for your responses, super glad everyone is so helpful around here. i think i'm traumatized from reddit, constantly walking on glass feeling like someone's gonna bite my head off for something I didn't actually imply :P

Once in a great while you may get a little of that kind of treatment here. Hopefully not though. Mostly, people are just trying to help clear up what they think might be misconceptions, not trying to come down on anyone.

• @fornax55 : Atom is a MIDI AUv3. It runs inside a host. Xequence is not an AU. It is strictly a standalone app. It can send MIDI and record MIDI. It has no sound generation. It can send MIDI to AUM and receive MIDI from it but does not run in AUM.

If you have questions about how to use Atom, you might want to start a thread to get them answered before giving up on it. It is quite capable.