Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Come And Take It

Comments

• So many good sounds in this. The muted trumpet makes a great lead voice, followed by some lovely strings and awesome sax and drums.
    You really have an ear for putting it all together.
    Another great one.

• @MadeofWax said:
    So many good sounds in this. The muted trumpet makes a great lead voice, followed by some lovely strings and awesome sax and drums.
    You really have an ear for putting it all together.
    Another great one.

Thanks Mac!

• That's what she said. 😏 Lol.

Anyways, this piece is a treat! I love how it constantly evolves over the course of its lifespan and keeps me hooked. I also love the driving drums.

• A lot of things happening in this track as with your usual creations. I like the drums a lot ! I am looking for new ways to create tracks, so I am curious about your workflow. without revealing all your secret, some insights could be nice. To me, this track seems like a sample based production. Are you using an app like Blocs Wave ? Or are you importing some loops into a DAW a organize everything there and add your own parts as well ?

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    That's what she said. 😏 Lol.

Anyways, this piece is a treat! I love how it constantly evolves over the course of its lifespan and keeps me hooked. I also love the driving drums.

Thank you so much! I am glad you enjoyed it. I had fun creating it.

• @JanKun said:
    A lot of things happening in this track as with your usual creations. I like the drums a lot ! I am looking for new ways to create tracks, so I am curious about your workflow. without revealing all your secret, some insights could be nice. To me, this track seems like a sample based production. Are you using an app like Blocs Wave ? Or are you importing some loops into a DAW a organize everything there and add your own parts as well ?

Thank you, JanKun! There is really no secret. I do not use any external gear such as keyboards, guitars, microphones, etc. That sort of forces me to try different things. I often use samples from Blocs Wave. I find that they get me thinking in ways that I normally would not. I also use most of the most common generative apps such as Piano Motifs, Fugue Machine, Riffler, etc. When I am looking for a specific musical pattern I will use the MIDI editor in Cubasis. Once I have something I like, I will try it using different synths. I have a lot of those! For drums I like apps like DrumComputer, DrumJam, Mid East Drummer, etc. I like to use multiple layers for drums. This particular track has 3 or more, I think. If I was to try to play this live, it would get expensive to hire drummers! If I am looking to build up to a crescendo, I just start adding more drum layers! For the trumpet and sax parts, I like to use the SessionBand apps. They are great tools for arrangers or people just looking to create a quick backing track. I rarely use anything but the soloists parts. They hired some top-notch, professional studio players to create content. I like to create short snippets and stitch them together.

I like to keeps songs between 3 and 4 minutes. I think 3 minutes is not too much to ask, and if the listener doesn't like it, they haven't wasted too much time. If they actually like it, then I hope they want more. I like to build tracks from smaller sections and arrange them, for example ABABCAB (probably the most common). I have used as many as 6 sections (A-F), but any more and the song gets to be too long. The music doesn't actually 'evolve', it just moves through the sections.

I am looking forward to creating with StaffPad. Believe it or not, I was a trained musician for most of my life. I am comfortable reading standard notation, although I haven't done it in many years. I have forgotten a lot, but it's starting to come back to me. Your arrangement of Mike's improvisation was quite stunning! Very, very well done. Please be patient with me. It may take a while for me to get up to speed, but I think the end result is worthwhile!

Have a great day, my friend.

• Assortment of musical sounds, and my favorite on this song is the trumpet.
    The electric guitar is also a tremendous beauty.
    You are overflowing with talent and musical originality, simply oozing from this creation.
    Lovely!!!
    Rene

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Assortment of musical sounds, and my favorite on this song is the trumpet.
    The electric guitar is also a tremendous beauty.
    You are overflowing with talent and musical originality, simply oozing from this creation.
    Lovely!!!
    Rene

That trumpet part was, as I recall, an accident! I was playing around with a SessionBand app with this track playing in the background. When I heard the trumpet, I thought it sounded like it fit the part. Thank you for confirming that, and for your kind words. Have a blessed day.

• @Paulieworld said:

@JanKun said:
    A lot of things happening in this track as with your usual creations. I like the drums a lot ! I am looking for new ways to create tracks, so I am curious about your workflow. without revealing all your secret, some insights could be nice. To me, this track seems like a sample based production. Are you using an app like Blocs Wave ? Or are you importing some loops into a DAW a organize everything there and add your own parts as well ?

Thank you, JanKun! There is really no secret. I do not use any external gear such as keyboards, guitars, microphones, etc. That sort of forces me to try different things. I often use samples from Blocs Wave. I find that they get me thinking in ways that I normally would not. I also use most of the most common generative apps such as Piano Motifs, Fugue Machine, Riffler, etc. When I am looking for a specific musical pattern I will use the MIDI editor in Cubasis. Once I have something I like, I will try it using different synths. I have a lot of those! For drums I like apps like DrumComputer, DrumJam, Mid East Drummer, etc. I like to use multiple layers for drums. This particular track has 3 or more, I think. If I was to try to play this live, it would get expensive to hire drummers! If I am looking to build up to a crescendo, I just start adding more drum layers! For the trumpet and sax parts, I like to use the SessionBand apps. They are great tools for arrangers or people just looking to create a quick backing track. I rarely use anything but the soloists parts. They hired some top-notch, professional studio players to create content. I like to create short snippets and stitch them together.

I like to keeps songs between 3 and 4 minutes. I think 3 minutes is not too much to ask, and if the listener doesn't like it, they haven't wasted too much time. If they actually like it, then I hope they want more. I like to build tracks from smaller sections and arrange them, for example ABABCAB (probably the most common). I have used as many as 6 sections (A-F), but any more and the song gets to be too long. The music doesn't actually 'evolve', it just moves through the sections.

I am looking forward to creating with StaffPad. Believe it or not, I was a trained musician for most of my life. I am comfortable reading standard notation, although I haven't done it in many years. I have forgotten a lot, but it's starting to come back to me. Your arrangement of Mike's improvisation was quite stunning! Very, very well done. Please be patient with me. It may take a while for me to get up to speed, but I think the end result is worthwhile!

Thank you for this breakdown of your workflow. Few years back I purchased a few packs in Blocwaves which I remember sounded good, and then new amp sims came, and then new synths and virtual instruments ... and I ended up forgetting about Blocwaves. That is one inconvenient of iOS, you end up with an iPad full of wonderful tools and have merely time to dive deep in each of them Maybe it is time to open the app again and experiment !
    Looking for your Staffpad creations. Did you purchase any 3rd party libraries?

• @JanKun said:

@Paulieworld said:

@JanKun said:

Thank you for this breakdown of your workflow. Few years back I purchased a few packs in Blocwaves which I remember sounded good, and then new amp sims came, and then new synths and virtual instruments ... and I ended up forgetting about Blocwaves. That is one inconvenient of iOS, you end up with an iPad full of wonderful tools and have merely time to dive deep in each of them Maybe it is time to open the app again and experiment !

I bought the Berlin Strings. I would have gotten a few more but I remember when I went all-in with iSymphonic. I was counting on the ability to use more than one instance. AuV3, right? Well, it crashed in a big way after 4 instances. Not much of an orchestra! I decided to wait until I knew I could make this work. The default library sounds better than iSymphonic and I think they will work just fine. Berlin Strings is justa little extra icing on the cake.

• @Paulieworld said:

@JanKun said:

@Paulieworld said:

@JanKun said:

I bought the Berlin Strings. I would have gotten a few more but I remember when I went all-in with iSymphonic. I was counting on the ability to use more than one instance. AuV3, right? Well, it crashed in a big way after 4 instances. Not much of an orchestra! I decided to wait until I knew I could make this work. The default library sounds better than iSymphonic and I think they will work just fine. Berlin Strings is justa little extra icing on the cake.

Perfect choice. If there is only one library to get, it is this one. But I suspect you will sooner or later want more. 😉

• Thanks, Paul, for the clearest description yet of how you do it. I love assemblages in general. It takes great aesthetic sense to really pull it off as well as you do. Sculpture, found art, comes to mind. But you generally start with a concept and find what you need… tho, as you said here with the trumpet, sometimes the happy accident informs the creative process.

Maybe one day you’ll add a live track to these lovely creations. It would be dimensional, no?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, Paul, for the clearest description yet of how you do it. I love assemblages in general. It takes great aesthetic sense to really pull it off as well as you do. Sculpture, found art, comes to mind. But you generally start with a concept and find what you need… tho, as you said here with the trumpet, sometimes the happy accident informs the creative process.

Maybe one day you’ll add a live track to these lovely creations. It would be dimensional, no?

Thanks Mike. I like to think of it as 'American Picker' of music. I find junk and repurpose it! Regarding a live track, that may be coming sooner than I thought. Years ago I worked with a lovely singer who portrayed Stevie Nicks in our old tribute band. She moved to Vegas almost 20 years ago and we lost contact. She recently moved back here and expressed an interest in adding lyrics to a few of my songs. I already have a nice EV RE20 mic that I used back in the day. I just have to find it and figure out how to hook it up to an iPad. That will probably lead to pulling out my 01/W and so on... and so on... Somebody please stop me!

• Enjoyed this one… all the solos, rhythms, everything in fact…

• @GeoTony said:
    Enjoyed this one… all the solos, rhythms, everything in fact…

Sorry I missed this. Thank you!