Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vatanator Pro

Comments

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I’d be interested to know a few things if anyone takes the plunge with this one:

1. It looks like it has the concept of pattern clips on an arranger - can these be optionally ‘linked’ like in NS2 so that changing one instance changes them all?
    2. Does the piano roll offer the ability to enter a mixture of note lengths (plus triplets, dotted etc) in the same pattern?
    3. How is its MIDI export and mixdown capabilities?

Thanks.

@Jumpercollins, it looks like you grabbed this one. Have you played enough with it to be able to answer any of these questions? Cheers.

• edited September 2022

There’s a ton of potential here. But I don’t think it’s quite ready for prime time. If the dev puts this back in the oven a little longer, I think it’s a real winner. The natural comparison I first thought of was BM3 along with a blend of some features of other apps due to the pads.

There’s a lot of good here but I want to highlight a few issues that stood out to me:

3x4 is a little meh. Please give us the ability to have 4x4 even at the cost of slightly smaller pads, or let us move the top menu/section out of the way. Hopefully I’m wrong here and there’s a feature I missed to move/remove the top menu cutting off the final 4 pads. I don’t like scrolling pages for them

Note Repeat appears to ‘arp’ instead of simply note repeat. This is bad for drums since you can’t ‘roll’ a hi hat and snare/kick at the same time like u can with BM3, MPC, Maschine Etc.

I’d really like to be able to search for Auv3’s or at the very least have them easier to scroll thru alphabetically. The current way they’re organized by vendor wasn’t obvious to me at first. I also would like IAA to have its own sub menu instead dog sharing it with auv3, I’ve accidentally selected an IAA a few times. AUM is the template to follow here.

Auv3’s are constantly inundated with overlays on the side that block the functions of the auv3. I feel like nothing should be in the auv3 space except for the auv3.

Is sidechaining possible? Because I don’t see it. If not, please add that, thanks 🙏

The ‘eject’ button for a plugin always presents a prompt asking if you’re sure you want to get rid of the plugin, this is ok on the first time but I really would like a ‘don’t show again’ check box. I think they should follow AUM’s approach here. Worst case scenario I have an undo button. I’d rather just use that vs the safety warning.

A Metronome on only during recording option would be great. Currently u have to decide on/off and that’s it.

I’d also like more playhead buttons. Dedicated RWD, FF, Stop buttons would be great.

Dragging a midi file in from files (via drag n drop) is a guaranteed crash for me.

Dragging audio onto the pads from files (via drag n drop) works but is fickle. Sometimes it gives the green +1 and sometimes it doesn’t. It’d be cool to get more consistency here if possible

Things within the piano roll/step sequencer don’t stay in their rectangles when u zoom out. There’s some spill over into the next cell. This is just visual, but still, a distraction.

It’d be great if the piano roll could scale lock like the pads can.

And visually speaking, I’d really like some color on this GUI. So please dev offer more skins and/or let us customize this thing to our liking.

And this last one probably won’t happen, but I’d love to be able to play pads chromatically like u can in BM3. Just throwing it out there.

• thanks for this, answered my export question, audio file for song mixed down, or Ableton live set with the items that includes…

i think a good comparison might be gadget, but with auV3 hosting and fewer built in instruments…

• @Littlewoodg said:

thanks for this, answered my export question, audio file for song mixed down, or Ableton live set with the items that includes…

i think a good comparison might be gadget, but with auV3 hosting and fewer built in instruments…

That's essentially Drambo, but with more stuff. Ableton export is a good addition.

• This is possibly my own wish fulfillment, but it reminded me of — are you sitting down? — MODSTEP.

A man can dream, no?

• edited September 2022

So anyone figure out what “audio track support” means ? Looking through the manual now

• edited September 2022

@MisplacedDevelopment

To answer u question.

1. I think no but further testing needed.
    2. You can go off grid but can see a way to ratchet yet or put in triplets that I found the notes can change length however.
    3. No export apart from haven’t tried any midi export.

4. The product needs more polished UI and although only had 1 crash a few things have bugged me with the overall workflow at times.

5. What @ipadbeatmaking said !

Hoping the dev can continue to make this work it doesn’t feel prime time as yet.

• edited September 2022

The AU menu can cause unwanted overlaps which took me a min or to to clear.

• edited September 2022

Automation has a AU effect slot that’s blanked out so not sure what the plan is there.

• MIDI in question-
    Does the isomorphic keyword accept midi in to display the notes played?
    So I can see the “piano roll” in grid vision?

MPE question-
    Is this just for compatible auv3’s?
    Or for samples as well? Is it good?

If the first answer is yes it’d almost be worth it
    For i see best in fourths.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @MisplacedDevelopment

To answer u question.

1. I think no but further testing needed.
    2. You can go off grid but can see a way to ratchet yet or put in triplets that I found the notes can change length however.
    3. No export apart from haven’t tried any midi export.

4. The product needs more polished UI and although only had 1 crash a few things have bugged me with the overall workflow at times.

5. What ipadbeatmaking said !

Hoping the dev can continue to make this work it doesn’t feel prime time as yet.

Thanks man, very useful! The pattern cloning and more functional piano roll would have been good differentiators from Drambo (for me) so I will sit on the sidelines for now and keep an eye on how this one progresses. It does look like it has potential though and a good amount of effort must have been put in to get this far.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This is possibly my own wish fulfillment, but it reminded me of — are you sitting down? — MODSTEP.

A man can dream, no?

EXACTLY what I thought... Except it is a different color. And 12 pads.
    Never meshed with MODSTEP, no matter how hard I tried.

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Does look interesting, but we
    Really already have an amazing
    App that can do that, and a whole lot
    More. Knowing me, I might
    Buy it anyway, but it’s pretty
    Obvious that it’s really not something we need.

😁

👍
    And no triplets in grid.

• From my point of view, Vatanator Pro looks like a competitor to iMPC Pro.

• This has got some serious thought and I love the workflow and speed.
    Its pretty impressive. the only problem I have now that it crashes when doing the basic things,
    it does not seem beta tested. And the crashes are hard. You tap something an aaand it’s gone.
    If the crashing get fixed asap and it becomes known how to save a project, i am keeping it.
    Its so smart. Structure, understanding, fast. Single tap operation for pretty much everything.
    my kind of dev for sure. But 27 euro, no random crashes please. Cant really use it because it crashes.

• How is the AU automation achieved? Draw in or directly by ‘recording touching AU knobs’.

• @mojozart said:
    From my point of view, Vatanator Pro looks like a competitor to iMPC Pro.

That might be the right comparison.

• “Odd time signature support”? SOLD!!

• @ipadbeatmaking knocks it out of the park here as per usual.

• @Telstar5 said:
    “Odd time signature support”? SOLD!!

Support as in "multiple patterns stringed together, and each pattern with their own time signature"?

• @hellquist : One can only hope !

• Definitely a nice clean UI but would be good to be able to customize it by changing hue/saturation of this very neutral khaki color.

• @israelite said:
    Definitely a nice clean UI but would be good to be able to customize it by changing hue/saturation of this very neutral khaki color.

Guys most music production apps get bogged down cpu wise by the graphics of an app, those take up a lot if not most of the RAM for an app. The less graphics it uses usually the more it can do. I really like the simple ui here, and think it should stay, for stability reasons…. Just my opinion

• @pr4y_4_beats said:

@israelite said:
    Definitely a nice clean UI but would be good to be able to customize it by changing hue/saturation of this very neutral khaki color.

Guys most music production apps get bogged down cpu wise by the graphics of an app, those take up a lot if not most of the RAM for an app. The less graphics it uses usually the more it can do. I really like the simple ui here, and think it should stay, for stability reasons…. Just my opinion

I agree. Just waiting for a more thorough video review to see exactly how it function. UI looks good to me.

• edited September 2022

The UI is fine to me. The app needs some work. I have given them some input and they have identified areas that need work. An update is on the way. If you have any input, let them know.

[email protected]

https://www.vatanator.com/manual-vatanator-pro.pdf

• @anickt said:
    The UI is fine to me. The app needs some work. I have given them some input and they have identified areas that need work. An update is on the way. If you have any input, let them know.

[email protected]

https://www.vatanator.com/manual-vatanator-pro.pdf

Good to hear. Are you finding it creative/inspiring/fun etc?

• edited September 2022

Alright, let’s get this out of the way real fast: the price is ridiculous. This thing needs a lot of work and some more time in the oven. Yes, it is fast to get something groovy going. It is also fast to lose your nice jam, like hard crash, gone in a blink fast. Just happened to me, right when I was going to song mode to save my work.

It is nice when it works, warts and all. This should have been beta tested before going to the app store for ANY price. I had it crash two times in about 30 minutes. No auto save states here, you either are lucky and saved right before the crash or it is all gone. Doesn’t help that in order to save you have to change a page into song mode first.

Now, there is a lot going for it as it lends itself to a quick work flow and reminds me a lot of Korg Gadget in the way songs are build up but the crashes and little bugs here and there are just unacceptable, especially considering the price. I’ll see how the updates are going in the next two weeks, else I’ll refund my purchase.
    I’ll only open it up again when there is a stability update, else it’s just a waste of time. I do hope this gets turned around to a stable environment and the various bugs get ironed out. There is a lot to like here but it really shouldn’t have been released in its current state and the price, even with everything in working order, isn’t reasonable.

• There is auto save in the settings