Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Pro and audio tracks

Is there any workaround to get audio tracks in Loopy Pro?

4Pockets Multitrack doesn’t seem to sync with Loopy transport at all.

Comments

• @Janosax said:

Can you explain what you mean? What are you trying to do. Are you using MultiTrack inside Loopy? if so, posting screenshots of your setup and relevant settings would be useful.

I am also curious what MultiTrack is bringing to the table that loopy doesn't.

• @Janosax said:

btw, if you have mt loaded as an effect but there is no input signal, make sure to turn Enable Idle off for MT other wise it will be idle/asleep.

• edited September 2022

I just tried MT with both host sync and remote options when hosted in Loopy Pro and both worked fine. Besides turning off idling make sure a tempo is set in Loopy Pro. MT may not work until the Loopy project's tempo has been set.

• I’m super curious why this question is being asked. I can’t think of any reason why anything but Loopy Pro is needed to have audio tracks?

Do you perhaps mean is there a way to import audio tracks? If so, then the answer is definitely yes. You can import audio to any clip.

• uhmmm should we tell him?

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    uhmmm should we tell him?

😂

• edited September 2022

@espiegel123 @wim

What I want to be able to achieve is to add multiple audio takes/tracks on the timeline just like in a DAW. Live looping is a thing, I do it daily since years, LPP is nice for this but achieving something more linear without exporting stems can be very useful when I don’t want slow down my creation process with too much export/import process. I already have an AUM setup for this but I don’t like AUM on the iPhone (no true landscape mode) and plan to buy a new 14 Pro Max one, iPad giving me some neck pain quite often and phone is easier to hold higher to avoid this. So I wish to dig more in LPP standalone and to repro some of my iPad workflows.

On this track of mine you should see what I mean, Helium (with song mode) and right Multitrack (remote mode) are dedicated to loops, while left Multitrack (host mode) is dedicated to sax solos parts:

Just found that audio needs to play all the time on LPP track to allow Multitrack to sync. A long press on idle allow to disable that feature and that works perfectly even without audio feeding Multitrack input. Issue fixed!! Thanks.

@Stuntman_mike said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    uhmmm should we tell him?

😂

What should I know you know and I don’t know? Please don’t keep it for yourself :'( :D

Some of my other looping stuff, only live performance using LPP differently in AUM:

• @janosax : this is a genuine question. what is multitrack recorder bringing that recording the solos into loopy’s clips (which don’t need to loop) or one shots doesn’t ?

Maybe there is something I am missing but loopy can be used in a pretty linear fashion, too.

• edited September 2022

Doesn’t the Arranger view give you the ‘linear’ workflow that you want?

Loopy Pro offers a Clip view and an Arranger view for composing.

I’m confused?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @janosax : this is a genuine question. what is multitrack recorder bringing that recording the solos into loopy’s clips (which don’t need to loop) or one shots doesn’t ?

Maybe there is something I am missing but loopy can be used in a pretty linear fashion, too.

Can you record one shots directly to the timeline or do you need to record in one shots first then record them to the timeline?

• @Janosax said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @janosax : this is a genuine question. what is multitrack recorder bringing that recording the solos into loopy’s clips (which don’t need to loop) or one shots doesn’t ?

Can you record one shots directly to the timeline or do you need to record in one shots first then record them to the timeline?

You can add empty clips to the timeline and arm them to record to the timeline. You can record one-shots or clips. Btw, there isn’t any particular advantage to recording solos as one-shots rather than donuts. Donuts don’t have to loop.

• edited September 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@Janosax said:

@espiegel123 said:

You can add empty clips to the timeline and arm them to record to the timeline. You can record one-shots or clips. Btw, there isn’t any particular advantage to recording solos as one-shots rather than donuts. Donuts don’t have to loop.

Ok very interesting I have to try that thanks :)

• edited September 2022

Could you just host LoopyPro in Loopy Pro?

The main host view is Clips and the other hosted auv3 is your timeline arranger. Or vice versa?

• @echoopera said:

The main host view is Clips and the other hosted auv3 is your timeline arranger. Or vice versa?

Yes, you can!

• @espiegel123 said:

@echoopera said:

Yes, you can!

A portal might open up that one did not expect, but this might be a good thing 😝

• @Janosax I think the main point of confusion for everyone was that you were asking how to get audio tracks in Loopy Pro, when in fact that’s exactly what Loopy Pro does; audio tracks.

You don’t need anything else to record audio tracks. These audio tracks can be “looped” if you so desire, or they can be just one long audio track (one shot). I think the only limit to the length of these audio tracks is the amount of storage space on your device.

@Janosax I think the main point of confusion for everyone was that you were asking how to get audio tracks in Loopy Pro, when in fact that’s exactly what Loopy Pro does; audio tracks.

You don’t need anything else to record audio tracks. These audio tracks can be “looped” if you so desire, or they can be just one long audio track (one shot). I think the only limit to the length of these audio tracks is the amount of storage space on your device.

To be clear even regular donuts can be set to play once. One doesn’t need to use one-shots (though one can).

• @espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    @Janosax I think the main point of confusion for everyone was that you were asking how to get audio tracks in Loopy Pro, when in fact that’s exactly what Loopy Pro does; audio tracks.

To be clear even regular donuts can be set to play once. One doesn’t need to use one-shots (though one can).

True. And also to be clear, the “shape” of things (donuts, squares, rectangles) doesn’t mean they’re committed to a particular function. ie. a donut can be set to play only once like you mention, or a rectangular audio clip can also be set to loop.

@espiegel123 said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

True. And also to be clear, the “shape” of things (donuts, squares, rectangles) doesn’t mean they’re committed to a particular function. ie. a donut can be set to play only once like you mention, or a rectangular audio clip can also be set to loop.

Interesting, I didn’t know that.

The donuts have always been visually a bit weird for me.

• @Janosax nice saxophones recording in the first VIDEO! A lot of fun to hear how you enjoy during play. 👍

• Maybe have a look at this :
    Il shows how to arm ans record on Time Line

• edited September 2022

@szczyp said:
    @Janosax nice saxophones recording in the first VIDEO! A lot of fun to hear how you enjoy during play. 👍

Thanks very much :) <3

@Sylvain said:
    Maybe have a look at this :
    Il shows how to arm ans record on Time Line

Nice thanks for that ;)

It’s an odd workflow but should be doable.

What I mean by audio tracks is also of course an audio track which can contain multiple audio parts. When I record sax I can record more than 10 different parts on a same track. In LPP that means more tracks in sequencer view as one audio loop/one shot has its dedicated sequencer track. This can become a mess after a while I suppose. This is where Multitrack can be useful. Also LPP forces to navigate between Live Loops view and sequencer view. LPP is not a regular DAW and I’m cool with that. But is suppose there is a reason DAW audio tracks are planned, as are midi and automations tracks: they’re necessary for a music creation tool to be complete IMO. I don’t believe in universal workflow, iOS is all about building individual workflow with creativity IMO. I’m not a fan of this specific aspect of LPP for now, but I’m happy the option is there. I have to dig in this workflow now and build my own way to do my stuff in LPP.

BTW, just pre-ordered a 14 Pro Max 256 Go in purple after 5 years on a 7 Plus. Will complement my M1 B)

• edited September 2022

If I don’t miss anything, recording on the timeline 12 different tenor sax parts and 12 different soprano parts will look more or less like this in LPP:

In Multitrack it will be like this:

My song in first video above looked like this in Multitrack just for sax solos parts (I don’t count sax loops parts on the other MTR instance), 19 parts on 5 tracks, in LPP this should be 19 one shots in donuts view and also 19 tracks in sequencer view:

I don’t think LPP does everything perfectly. Not a problem, iOS music music is modular approach at first isn’t it? To each app its speciality. I’m glad MTR can run in LPP.

• Got it. For that workflow, MTR is probably the the right thing.

• Would be nice if in loopy pro you could collapse clips together in the sequencer view. Base on their color or group for instance.
    Collapsed track would work only for viewing then un collapse for editing etc …

• Can you overdub in LP? I think you can. Shouldn’t that reduce the track count?

• Yes, you can overdub. You can also merge clips.

• edited September 2022

@wim said:
    Yes, you can overdub. You can also merge clips.

Overdub can be useful here, but don’t allow for mixing takes levels individually for each overdub pass. Also, MTR has parts handles like in some DAWS to allow to set those levels, it’s fast and efficient during creation or mixing processes. Also, this also avoid to juggle with loops and sequencer views just to set those individual levels if you want to do it at loop level and not global mixer. A workflow should avoid to break creation processes speed of execution to always preserve inspiration IMO. This is why I like to create macro modular templates in various AUV3 hosts and practice them just like you do with any DAW. This frees my mind.