Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multiple AUv3s with a single app bundle? SOLVED

edited September 2022 in App Development

Hello,

I've got a few updates going through internal testing before going to app review so I'm now turning towards future projects. I wanted to ask any developers/users if it is possible to include multiple AUv3s in app bundles? Does anyone have any examples of this being done? I see 2 main reasons for this being done:

1. Low/lower latency version combined in a bundle with a higher quality but high latency version
  2. Low CPU version combined in a bundle with a higher quality yet CPU intensive version

I've got an idea which encompasses both of these issues... Currently a lower CPU version with ~10ms latency and a high CPU version with ~60ms latency. I'm sure I will be able to get latency down further but at the moment there seems to be tradeoffs in every direction. I've seen this type of thing with Acustica plugins on desktop before but I've not come across it on iOS. I'd be very interested in seeing some examples of this on iOS. Also, if it's not the done thing/actually possible I'd be very interested to hear opinions of how to deal with the topic:

1. Make the plugin low latency but lower quality audio (it is still sounding excellent).
  2. Make the plugin high latency but theoretically increased quality audio (I can add a few extra features that otherwise would not be possible).
  3. Do some sort of App Store bundle with separate apps
  4. Other option that I haven't thought of...

I may yet (and hope to) solve the issue by making the higher quality algorithm far more efficient so this is early stage thoughts but I'd love to hear perspectives of different people.

Thanks!
David

Comments

• I'm not an iOS app developer (though I do software development for my day job) but wouldn't this typically be an app setting, not a separate app? For example, Cubasis has a Latency setting in the Audio panel. Im not sure how that extends to AUs

• Lots have 2 versions, usually a muti-out version as well as normal version.
    Troublemaker has a normal version and a modded version.
    ChordPad X has a normal version and a legacy version.
    Physicles has 2 versions, Bouncy and Gravity.

All of these are multiple plug-in versions from a single app purchase/install.

• The closest I can find in synth apps is Buffer Size

• @CaelumAudio said:
    Hello,

I've got a few updates going through internal testing before going to app review so I'm now turning towards future projects. I wanted to ask any developers/users if it is possible to include multiple AUv3s in app bundles? Does anyone have any examples of this being done? I see 2 main reasons for this being done:

1. Low/lower latency version combined in a bundle with a higher quality but high latency version
    2. Low CPU version combined in a bundle with a higher quality yet CPU intensive version

I've got an idea which encompasses both of these issues... Currently a lower CPU version with ~10ms latency and a high CPU version with ~60ms latency. I'm sure I will be able to get latency down further but at the moment there seems to be tradeoffs in every direction. I've seen this type of thing with Acustica plugins on desktop before but I've not come across it on iOS. I'd be very interested in seeing some examples of this on iOS. Also, if it's not the done thing/actually possible I'd be very interested to hear opinions of how to deal with the topic:

1. Make the plugin low latency but lower quality audio (it is still sounding excellent).
    2. Make the plugin high latency but theoretically increased quality audio (I can add a few extra features that otherwise would not be possible).
    3. Do some sort of App Store bundle with separate apps
    4. Other option that I haven't thought of...

I may yet (and hope to) solve the issue by making the higher quality algorithm far more efficient so this is early stage thoughts but I'd love to hear perspectives of different people.

Thanks!
    David

number of AUv3 seem to package multiple AUv3 in one app bundle...lately a few include legacy versions so that they don't break existing projects along with updated versions.

• Fantastic, I will look into multiple AUv3s in the app bundle then. Seems the best way to solve this!

Thanks all!

• Burns Audio and Roli Noise both give you multiple AUs in a single download.

• Just for more examples, Rozeta installs a whole suite of them, and iVCS similarly installs a bunch of individual modules as well as the main synth plugin.

• Spectrum Synthesizer bundle is a free app that gives 3 AUv3 audio effects and 3 AUV3 synthesizers. I believe their code is also available open source on GitHub, if you’re looking for ideas.

Here’s the code -
    https://github.com/boourns/Spectrum/blob/master/README.md