Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk Feedback

Just wanted to say that I visited with the UVI folks at NAMM and they were very eager to receive feedback. Go to http://www.uvi.net/en/contact-us and send them your thoughts. Nobody made any promises, but I got the clear impression they intend to continue Beathawk's development.

Comments

• I'm sure folks will. Thanks for the tip. But I think there's more than enough end-user feedback in the raw right here on the forum if they'd like to send a junior staffer all the way over to collate notes etc.

• Well, of course I suggested they do that. For those who are action-oriented, though...

• Just left some feedback asking about

• More that 1 track to record
    • Sampling form inside the app
    • Sample editing and slicing
    • More than 1 bank of pads
  • I just sent mine....

Hi,

Please can you consider implementing the following into beathawks future developments.

• Kit creation (in line with the current available kits & dlc ie:1 pad with various drum samples assigned to each pitch key)

• Loop slicing (in line with the current available loops & dlc ie: 1 pad with a loop and the keyboard icon can be selected to spread the loops segments across each pitch key)

• An extra bank of 16 pads & patterns

• The option to organise the user library in the same way as the current factory/dlc sounds ie: create/delete folders in each section (category/group/instrument/sample)

• The ability to sample into Beathawk via IAA/Audiobus

Thanks for a great first release and I look forward to see what future updates may bring.

Best,
    Dave.

• I'm agree with you Dave but how about midi sync? Anyone know how to sync this thing?

• Good point....I don't think its in the current release....it's probably worth requesting to UVI....that said I have given up completely on midi sync on iOS...too much of a headache....I just export the stems for now...

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Good point....I don't think its in the current release....it's probably worth requesting to UVI....that said I have given up completely on midi sync on iOS...too much of a headache....I just export the stems for now...

Yep, until iOS gets a more reliable 'sync', it's just a lot of trouble getting things to work together, best just getting the audio into your favourite DAW, then take it further if needed.

• I guess me too...this machine have a serious potential and Iike it. Waiting for updates...

• I'm going to go ask them to come here. :)

All the stuff Dave said *, plus (in personal priority order):

1. More effects, particularly flavors of distortion
    2. Scale keyboard (thumbjam, animoog, magellan...)
    3. MIDI Sync
    4. LFO per pad that we can point at AMP, LPF or HPF
    5. Record/automate stuff in the sample sidebar
    6. Sample reverse
    7. Overdub mode to add volume or pitch changes to an already recorded pattern

* I'm actually into the 16 pad limitation—if we can make our own drum kits to load into a single pad, that'd be plenty for me. I would like to see more patterns though.

• The ability to load other patterns from various projects into a song might be a way around not having multiple kits in a project. This might be tough to do live, but perhaps some rendering process could pull the requisite samples and other musical info together so we could hear our song. In the same way you can get variations from a pattern by muting pads and extending/contracting patterns in song mode, it might useful to be able to combine parts from various patterns together. A sort of hierarchy going from samples, kits, patterns, and songs where you can pick and choose what you want to use and manipulate it at any level.

• Hi, I am the main developer of beathawk, I'll try help as much as possible.

@Ivan_Dj said:
    I'm agree with you Dave but how about midi sync? Anyone know how to sync this thing?

We do not have it on the V.1.0.0

@syrupcore said:
    I'm going to go ask them to come here. :)

All the stuff Dave said *, plus (in personal priority order):

1. More effects, particularly flavors of distortion
    2. Scale keyboard (thumbjam, animoog, magellan...)
    3. MIDI Sync
    4. LFO per pad that we can point at AMP, LPF or HPF
    5. Record/automate stuff in the sample sidebar
    6. Sample reverse
    7. Overdub mode to add volume or pitch changes to an already recorded pattern

* I'm actually into the 16 pad limitation—if we can make our own drum kits to load into a single pad, that'd be plenty for me. I would like to see more patterns though.

Thanks for proposing features, we are currently working on stability improvements first, but we do listen.

Does anybody have an issue regarding In-App content disappearing from the browser ? we are experiencing issues with some users.

• I'm liking this so far :)

As always things can be improved.
    Here's a few to start with.

• Monitor-Toggle when recording samples. (I like to hear what gets into the iPad before starting to record).
    • Trim/Normalize/Amplify of recorded samples.
    • Chop/Slices/Selection parts of samples to notes or pads.
      (Could be used to select different start-point for the sample, or loop parts on different keys)

• Support for AudioShare (Loading/Saving Samples and Exporting Recordings).

• Grid Editor (Sometimes it's nice to be able to draw/paint notes too).

I do like the possibility to have different 'selections'(Non-Destructive Trimming) based on same sample on different pads but do miss the options that are present for some of the built-in instruments. Each hit of a loop mapped to keys etc. But even there there is room for improvement, what about options to 'reverse' the slices per key?

I've had some 'crashes' when removing recorded samples.
    I'm using a 1st gen iPad Mini iOS8.1.3.

• Hi, @BastienCo

Many thanks for a great opening release. I'm having fun creating on the app!

I'm mostly using my own samples with the app and that's why (and I'm repeating what others here are saying too) it would be great in an update to have the ability to create your own kits with own samples and another set of pads + patterns, plus more control over the sample editing.
    It would also be great to have easier control over time-stretching, its quite fiddly at the moment using one finger over a small bar to fine tune it.

I've been getting a few bugs when using your own samples, I'm not sure if this happens with factory sounds but sometimes a sample at the beginning of the bar isn't triggered until the next bar comes around when it is looping, this is happening for me in song mode too. I've also been getting some playback bugs on the song timeline after pasting patterns. (eg playing a pattern when there is nothing on the timeline)

In Song mode it would be great to have more features such as slice, group, multi-copy and the ability to name patterns when they are on the timeline. User sample folders would be great too in the library.

I'm also getting crashes quite often when using in audiobus, I'm on the latest IOS ipad mini retina.

Thank again, it's a very useful app for a first release and I hope it gets further development. :)

• @BastienCo For MIDI sync implementation, maybe this would help:

http://thespectacularsyncengine.com

From the same developer of Loopy HD and AudioBus.

• Thanks for joining the conversation, @BastienCo. Gotta love devs that listen!

• Hello and welcome @BastienCo. Nice to have you here.

• Welcome also @BastienCo, your app has caused a lot of conversation, glad you're a part of it.

• Hello @BastienCo When I open BeatHawk in Beatmaker 3 or IMpc pro via Inter-App it doesn't work this way. No problems when I open BeatHawk first and then the others.Thank you very much fot this great app.

• @BastienCo, Besides concentrating on fixing bugs, would you entertain BeatHawk feature enhancements? It would be nice if the purchasable sound packs would include "Expansion Drum Packs" for particular genres. For instance, there could be an "Electro Pop Rythym Expansion Pack" that add a whole bunch of extra drum loops; and maybe bass lines for that particular genre. You could have an expansion "Pads" pack for instance. I personally would like to see some Jazz Fusion Packs (progressive jazz, rock, latin), which does not exist now.

• Thanks you all for your welcome messages :)

@Samu said:
    I've had some 'crashes' when removing recorded samples.

-- Did you make sure the pad were not loaded on a pad ? (this should not crash tho)

@Carnbot said:
    Hi, BastienCo

Many thanks for a great opening release. I'm having fun creating on the app!

I'm mostly using my own samples with the app and that's why (and I'm repeating what others here are saying too) it would be great in an update to have the ability to create your own kits with own samples and another set of pads + patterns, plus more control over the sample editing.

-- You can do your own kits -> You fill all your pads with what you would like and you save the project, then, to load it again select "Kit Only"

I've been getting a few bugs when using your own samples, I'm not sure if this happens with factory sounds but sometimes a sample at the beginning of the bar isn't triggered until the next bar comes around when it is looping, this is happening for me in song mode too. I've also been getting some playback bugs on the song timeline after pasting patterns. (eg playing a pattern when there is nothing on the timeline)

-- did you save the project with the problem on it ? If so, you can do a request in here: http://www.uvi.net/contact-support it will be much easier to talk about it, I wont be the one who answers but the message will be forwarded to me. If you could join your project as well, it would help a lot.

User sample folders would be great too in the library.

-- We are going to upgrade out user sample management in later versions, this is planed.

I'm also getting crashes quite often when using in audiobus, I'm on the latest IOS ipad mini retina.

-- mmmh, could you be more precise about what you doing ? I did fix some things with audiobus since V1.0.0 but I don't know if it fixes your problem.

@Ivan_Dj said:
    Hello BastienCo When I open BeatHawk in Beatmaker 3 or IMpc pro via Inter-App it doesn't work this way. No problems when I open BeatHawk first and then the others.Thank you very much fot this great app.

I am currently working on this issue, Host application would not open Beathawk properly.. I noticed Beathawk is not the only app having this issue..>

@bsantoro said:

BastienCo, Besides concentrating on fixing bugs, would you entertain BeatHawk feature enhancements? It would be nice if the purchasable sound packs would include "Expansion Drum Packs" for particular genres. For instance, there could be an "Electro Pop Rythym Expansion Pack" that add a whole bunch of extra drum loops; and maybe bass lines for that particular genre. You could have an expansion "Pads" pack for instance. I personally would like to see some Jazz Fusion Packs (progressive jazz, rock, latin), which does not exist now.

-- We are going to add features, this is just the start. We are also going to add plenty of new sound packs, thanks for your suggestions.

• @BastienCo

The sample was not loaded onto any pad as far as I know and I can't repeat the crash so it could have something to do with the fact that I'm running a 1st Gen iPad Mini that has limited amount of RAM and that can sometimes cause apps to crash 'randomly' when memory allocations fail...

• @Samu said:
    BastienCo

The sample was not loaded onto any pad as far as I know and I can't repeat the crash so it could have something to do with the fact that I'm running a 1st Gen iPad Mini that has limited amount of RAM and that can sometimes cause apps to crash 'randomly' when memory allocations fail...

I'll improve memory management and reduce application cache on future versions, I am working on that too.

• Hi @BastienCo

Thanks for your response. About creating kits, I mean it would be great if you could create a custom drum kit with different user samples spread out across the keyboard in pitch mode like the factory drum kits (which occupy one cell of the pads in pad mode), this would then leave more cells free for other samples as I find I run out of cells quickly when I'm using my own samples a lot.

many thanks :)

• What @carnbot said, please.

• edited February 2015

it's nice to know that you guys are listening to user request, but I'd like to know what your mindset is being the main developer, what kind of features are you personally interested in putting into the app? like a slice to pad app like they have in native instruments maschine? err what syrup core and cambot are talking about

• apart from new features . . . will we get a bugfix update soon that fixes obvious things like no app icon on iOS 7 ? or wrong display of prices for IAP on i OS 8 ?

• @Carnbot said:
    Hi BastienCo

Thanks for your response. About creating kits, I mean it would be great if you could create a custom drum kit with different user samples spread out across the keyboard in pitch mode like the factory drum kits (which occupy one cell of the pads in pad mode), this would then leave more cells free for other samples as I find I run out of cells quickly when I'm using my own samples a lot.

many thanks :)

Ho, yes I know what you mean. That is right, if you only want to use user samples you might be quickly limited. This is a great idea of improvement. Being able to assign a note to a sample, more likely for drums then as you wont be able to picth anymore.

@kobamoto said:
    it's nice to know that you guys are listening to user request, but I'd like to know what your mindset is being the main developer, what kind of features are you personally interested in putting into the app? like a slice to pad app like they have in native instruments maschine? err what syrup core and cambot are talking about

At the moment we are fixing issues that we did not see before releasing the app, then we will start again working on features.

@nick said:
    apart from new features . . . will we get a bugfix update soon that fixes obvious things like no app icon on iOS 7 ? or wrong display of prices for IAP on i OS 8 ?

Thanks for your feedback,
    Apparently you are not the only one with this icon issue, even on ios 8.. this is awkward indeed.
    Tell me more about this price display problem ? Could you send us a screenshot here: http://www.uvi.net/contact-support and describe the issue you spotted ? Thank you

• @BastienCo said:

hi BastienCo, the icon issue may be related to the icon being the wrong size. when I see the app icon in audiobus, it has a tiny black border that I don't think is part of the design. This is an indication that it is the wrong size or uses the wrong radius, and that it uses alpha transparency instead of a solid background which I think is what Apple recommends. Maybe this info is usefull in search of a fix.

The price bug is easily explained: when you switch from IAP preview page to the next, often only the page content but not the price is updated. So switching from the grand to a percussion set shows the percussion set as 9,99 until you press the price once, then it is updated to 1,99. I think this bug has led some people to believe BeatHawk's IAP are more expensive than they actualy are.

• @BastienCo - One additonal feature enhancement suggestion, as if you need more, would be to be able to glide across keys smoothly in the Pitch mode. Many iOS synths have this feature, like nLog Pro, Nave, iSEM, Animoog, et al. It could be permanently set to glide between keys, or as a toggled option between glide and the way you have it now. I think this would be quicker to implement over the previously requested feature of locking to scale modes; so it could possibly be released in an earlier update. When playing the keyboard onscreen, I don't want to have to neccessarily lift my finger to play adjacent notes. That is the beauty of a touchscreen.

• ^Yup. Add me on for that one.