Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Slice Dice Randomizing Resampler and Discombobulator

edited August 2022 in Loopy Pro

Over the last few months, I have found that Loopy Pro can be used for interesting loop/clip resampling that can be used for anything from recombining grooves (to create new grooves) to spaced-out granular jams. A few people have been curious to know more about this -- so, let's use this topic to discuss it. I will also post some Loopy Pro templates you can use.

Below are some quickie videos showing some of the things that you can do. They all use the same basic setup but the loops you choose to use and the settings/effects open up rich possibilities.

If there is enough interest I'll provide a more detailed walkthrough -- but maybe these are self-explanatory.

The basic setup is a matrix of 12 clips set up as a "one clip at a time" group. There is a set of blue loops set to do retrospective recording -- which means that you tap them AFTER you hear the the think that you want to save. In these examples, they capture the last full two bar cycle. I use the StepBud step sequencer to randomly generate notes from C2 to B2 -- but you could use any random note generator. You also can tap the clips rather than use random generation.

Here are YouTube quickies demonstrating some applications of this:

WEIRDNESS

Discombobulator: Loopy as Grain Machine

Loopy Pro: Slambient Slo

GROOVES

More Regroovifying

Loopy Pro + StepBud as Regroovifier

SliceDice 4*3

Using a Launchpad rather than random notes to find groove combinations:

Comments

• edited August 2022

@Gravitas : you might find the SliceDice 4*3 video (which I just posted) of interest

• The moly is indeed holy.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Gravitas : you might find the last video (which I just posted) of interest

Thanks for that.

• Rather than using random note generation, using my Launchpad to find grooves:

• edited August 2022

I never got the hang of Loopy, because my brain don't get the mechanics of how to set up the loops.
    It would be great to explain how to setup the loops as the "one clip at a time", because i like this concept.

• @Identor said:
    I never got the hang of Loopy, because my brain don't get the mechanics of how to set up the loops.
    It would be great to explain how to setup the loops as the "one clip at a time"

To make a difference be clip at a time group:

• tap the pencil to enter edit mode
    • Tap on the group edit icon
    • Select the clips you want to group and tap “group” from the popup
    • Tap on any clip in the group and loopy pops up a pane. Tap “one loop at a time”
    • Exit edit mode
  • Ahh, great! Thank you very much.
    I think, the method you use, could be useful for making break core.

• @Identor said:
    Ahh, great! Thank you very much.
    I think, the method you use, could be useful for making break core.

For sure.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Identor said:

• Tap on any clip in the group and loopy pops up a pane. Tap “one loop at a time”
    • Exit edit mode

Derr finally I get it! Many thanks

• @espiegel123 said:
    Over the last few months, I have found that Loopy Pro can be used for interesting loop/clip resampling that can be used for anything from recombining grooves (to create new grooves) to spaced-out granular jams. A few people have been curious to know more about this -- so, let's use this topic to discuss it. I will also post some Loopy Pro templates you can use.

Below are some quickie videos showing some of the things that you can do. They all use the same basic setup but the loops you choose to use and the settings/effects open up rich possibilities.

If there is enough interest I'll provide a more detailed walkthrough -- but maybe these are self-explanatory.

>

The basic setup is a matrix of 12 clips set up as a "one clip at a time" group. There is a set of blue loops set to do retrospective recording -- which means that you tap them AFTER you hear the the think that you want to save. In these examples, they capture the last full two bar cycle. I use the StepBud step sequencer to randomly generate notes from C2 to B2

How did control the loop from StepBud, did you use midi route ?

• @Jeezs said:

@espiegel123 said:

>

The basic setup is a matrix of 12 clips set up as a "one clip at a time" group. There is a set of blue loops set to do retrospective recording -- which means that you tap them AFTER you hear the the think that you want to save. In these examples, they capture the last full two bar cycle. I use the StepBud step sequencer to randomly generate notes from C2 to B2

How did control the loop from StepBud, did you use midi route ?

Yes, in the current Loopy Pro, you have to route MIDI out of Loopy and back into it to use internally generated midi for MIDI Control. That will change soon-ish.

There is info about doing that on https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=loopy_pro_tips_and_tricks

These days, I usually use Streambyter running as a standalone to echo it back since that also works on phones.

• @Toastedghost said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Identor said:

• Exit edit mode

Got it to work, but…..
    I want each loop to start instantly and not wait until loop begins.
    I know if this can be achieved but lost for how to do it.
    Derr back in idoit zone.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Toastedghost said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Identor said:

• Exit edit mode

Got it to work, but…..
    I want each loop to start instantly and not wait until loop begins.
    I know if this can be achieved but lost for how to do it.
    Derr back in idoit zone.

Back out of the zone, just worked it out.

• For anyone unsure how to set up groups

• I got group thing working. Really neat when the loops are set to 1/16 or 1/8 quantise.
    I still can't figure out how to trigger the loops with a midi sequencer (Riffer) within AUM, and where Loopy is set as a AU instrument.
    I can define each loop to listen to a note trigger (midi learn), but confused about the routing.
    I tried (routing in AUM):
    Riffer->Loopy
    Riffer->AUM source->AUM destination->Loopy
    If i connect the AUM keyboard to Loopy, the keyboard works, so Riffer should work also?
    I red the explanation above, how to connect, but still confused.
    I also installed Streambyter and set-up as standalone, where i now can see streambyter as virtual ports inside AUM, but don't know how this works.

• @Identor said:
    I got group thing working. Really neat when the loops are set to 1/16 or 1/8 quantise.
    I still can't figure out how to trigger the loops with a midi sequencer (Riffer) within AUM, and where Loopy is set as a AU instrument.
    I can define each loop to listen to a note trigger (midi learn), but confused about the routing.
    I tried (routing in AUM):
    Riffer->Loopy
    Riffer->AUM source->AUM destination->Loopy
    If i connect the AUM keyboard to Loopy, the keyboard works, so Riffer should work also?
    I red the explanation above, how to connect, but still confused.
    I also installed Streambyter and set-up as standalone, where i now can see streambyter as virtual ports inside AUM, but don't know how this works.

The description above was about sending midi to midi control when loopy is the host. When loopy is an AU, you need to route the midi to the loopy AU’s midi port.

Make sure you are sending on the midi channel loopy is listening for. Also, note that octave numbers vary from app to app. If Riffer and Loopy use different octave numbering you might be sending the wrong notes. Loopy calls middle C (midi note 60) C4.

If your midi app is sending quantized notes, you can set loopy’s play quantization to none.

• This is extremely cool. The SliceDice 4*3 video sold it for me.

• This sort of thing could be done with a number of other samplers, of course, but Loopy makes it so easy, immediate, tactile, and fun. Resampling is dead simple with the retrospective recorder. Great stuff, @espiegel123 and your tutorial about setting up the groups is A+.

• Finally got it working! Thanks @espiegel123 for this trick and the patience to explain it.