Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I gave BandLab a go for recording vocals to a song I’m producing. Biggest mistake of my life.

After hours of work to get the vocals the way I want, and spoiled by the auto save feature of every iOS DAW, I left the app and went to eat something and when I returned and reopened the app, I was prompted to either discard or save my project. Since I was reopening the app and didn’t wish to alter the project, I selected discard. I had a strange gut feeling and reopened the project and, to my utter disbelief and despair, ALL the audio I worked on for HOURS was gone. No way to recover anything because there is not an accessible “audio” folder to search for the material (and I discovered also that bandlab doesn’t save anything locally, I should have known better, shame on me).

I cannot put in words how p*sped off I am. BandLab is somehow stuck in the 2000s (the last time I ever lost audio for not actively saving a project was in 2007). I’m afraid I have nothing but extremely negative words to say about this application and, when I get a little calmer, I might probably copy this rant and post as a review in the App Store. Just letting y’all know that you cannot trust this app with any time-consuming work, it will one day let you down unless you never used a modern audio workstation and thus are used to clicking “save” every time. Cheers.

Comments

• And no, the deleted projects tab shows nothing.

• Yeah, Bandcamp never interested me really. I'm not sure if there's anything unique about it other than it doesn't autosave. (Not bashing the app, I am just ignorant to its features.)

• Nice to see you back @theconnactic. It’s been quite a while. Sorry, I can’t help with this issue, though.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Nice to see you back @theconnactic. It’s been quite a while. Sorry, I can’t help with this issue, though.

Ha, I already took the L. Just needed to rant about it and warn people who might fall in the same trap. Cheers!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Yeah, Bandcamp never interested me really. I'm not sure if there's anything unique about it other than it doesn't autosave. (Not bashing the app, I am just ignorant to its features.)

I decided to give it a spin because of its small footprint which obviously comes with a price.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Yeah, Bandcamp never interested me really. I'm not sure if there's anything unique about it other than it doesn't autosave. (Not bashing the app, I am just ignorant to its features.)

BandLab, the app. Bandcamp the music store is unrelated and is actually a blessing.

• edited August 2022

You are truly blessed if that is the worst mistake of your life …

may I have a lock of your hair as a good luck charm ?

p.s. your next performance of the vocal will be all the richer with the added pain.

edit
    p.p.s if it makes you feel better
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

• edited August 2022

@theconnactic said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

BandLab, the app. Bandcamp the music store is unrelated and is actually a blessing.

LOL! Yeah, I love Band camp . I meant Band Lab the app, but I had a long island tonight and couldn't really see shit on my iPhone. 😂 Now I'm on my iPad and realised my mistake.

• @RetroNewb said:
    You are truly blessed if that is the worst mistake of your life …

may I have a lock of your hair as a good luck charm ?

p.s. your next performance of the vocal will be all the richer with the added pain.

Haha, nice hyperbole tackling! And hopefully above acceptable next time, my friend. Definitely not on BandLab though. Fool me once…

• @RetroNewb said:
    edit
    p.p.s if it makes you feel better
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

😳

• I feel you man. It happened to me as well with Cubasis. But was able to find raw audio files hidden in the folders. But was hard to distinguish which ones to use. In other words put things together back like a puzzle. I really dislike not being able to do my own save in Cubasis.

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I feel you man. It happened to me as well with Cubasis. But was able to find raw audio files hidden in the folders. But was hard to distinguish which ones to use. In other words put things together back like a puzzle. I really dislike not being able to do my own save in Cubasis.

If it was something like just sorting files out… BandLab wouldn’t even save a thing locally or give access to folders. To late I discovered it’s more of a social media platform. For me, Logic ProX’s way is the ideal way: you can do your own saves, but it also always autosave so you don’t lose anything in case of a massive crash or whatever…