Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iconnectivity audio4+ versus iconnectivity audio4c?

I want to be able to share midi inputs and audio interface simultaneously with my Windows PC and my iPad Pro. I'm looking at these two devices and wondering if I need to spend $400 for the 4c or can I do what I need to do with a used 4+. I've tried to compare the two online but don't have a clear answer. Thanks!

Comments

• I’m still using an ICA4+ with my iPad Pro and my brand new MacBook, and precisely with my windows laptop, as well as an old Mac Pro in between… I’m not sure entirely, but I think the main difference is that my old one has USB B connection, while the new one USB C…

• so it sounds like for what I need the cheaper solution would work just fine.

• @Krupa said:
    I’m still using an ICA4+ with my iPad Pro and my brand new MacBook, and precisely with my windows laptop, as well as an old Mac Pro in between… I’m not sure entirely, but I think the main difference is that my old one has USB B connection, while the new one USB C…

I have the ICA4+ also. It works flawlessly with my 11” iPad Pro alongside my PC or my Mac.

• So just to make sure, here's my set up. Windows PC and iPad Pro. Powered USB hub has midi controllers and audio interface connected to its ports. Then the hub's USB-B (output) cable goes either into my Windows USB input, or lightning adapter which is the plugged into my iPad. How would the powered hub be set connected using the 4+?

• @LeesKeys said:
    So just to make sure, here's my set up. Windows PC and iPad Pro. Powered USB hub has midi controllers and audio interface connected to its ports. Then the hub's USB-B (output) cable goes either into my Windows USB input, or lightning adapter which is the plugged into my iPad. How would the powered hub be set connected using the 4+?

I wouldn’t know about the hub in the way, might work fine, but I connect mine directly, then a USB Launchpad to the ICA and one other device into the MIDI in port (currently a novation slider knob thing) The USB ports power the iPad and the Launchpad…

• @LeesKeys
    Hi,
    If you decide on getting a used one
    Looking to sell my iconnect audio 4 usb a version for 100$ if you’re interested message me.
    Great piece of kit I’m looking into getting the 4c
    Put

• The USB port accepts up to an eight connection hub, but MIDI only. As far as I have been able to tell the usb-c connections are the only difference between the two units.

• You can plug the USB midi devices into a usb hub connected to the iConnect’s midi host port. That’s one of it’s best features.

• @tput73 said:
    @LeesKeys
    Hi,
    If you decide on getting a used one
    Looking to sell my iconnect audio 4 usb a version for 100$ if you’re interested message me.
    Great piece of kit I’m looking into getting the 4c
    Put

So yours is the Audio 4+ ?

• I’m on my second AUDIO4c and both have exhibited daily infrequent blasts of digital noise for around 3 to 5 seconds at a time. It only happens when hooked to both my iMac and IPad, which unfortunately is how I wish to use it. Must be something in my setup. Guess I need to swap some cables and see if that helps… have heard of others with same problem.

Maybe the old unit is better.

• @stown
    That’s a bummer! This puts a cloud over my dream to move to the 4c when I get a new m1 Mac again. Curious what kind of computer you’re using your 4c with? As I returned a m1 studio when it erased my external drives twice due to faulty usbC/thunderbolt port connections.
    Put

• @stown said:
    I’m on my second AUDIO4c and both have exhibited daily infrequent blasts of digital noise for around 3 to 5 seconds at a time. It only happens when hooked to both my iMac and IPad, which unfortunately is how I wish to use it. Must be something in my setup. Guess I need to swap some cables and see if that helps… have heard of others with same problem.

Maybe the old unit is better.

Sometimes I’ve had problems like that when the audio clock is set from one of the USB sources rather than internally, I’m out and about but I think it’s on the audio settings page…

• @Krupa are you using the newer iPad Pro with USB C or the older one with lightning? I have an option to buy used ICA4+, but I want to make sure it supports USBC iPad, as I heard people had connectivity issues using older gear with new iPads. I’d be really thankful for your help!

• I use a 2021 iPad Pro with USB C. No issues at all using it with my Audio4+

• I used to have audio 4c on windows and ipad (2018) combo. When it worked it was ok, but constant sound dropping with loud pops. I didn't have good experience, returned it

• @LeesKeys thank you very much for the quick response!

• You can use a USB C cable with audio4+ but it won’t charge your device. I assume the audio4c does. Seems to be the only difference

• I am planning to buy such a card (AUDIO4c), can you please tell me how many virtual channels can be used in routing? For example, how many stereo audio tracks can be sent from AUM to desktop and back again?

• virtual midi channels? 8, I believe

• @LeesKeys said:
    virtual midi channels? 8, I believe

My question about audio channels

• I’m looking online and I can buy a refurbished 4+ for the third of the price of a 4c. I use a M2 MacMini with Ableton alongside my iPad 11 pro. I use both units with a usb hub, so wonder if the usb c makes a big difference or not. I’m wondering if the cpu and performance is the same in both of these audio interfaces.

• edited March 2

@Antos3345 said:
    I’m looking online and I can buy a refurbished 4+ for the third of the price of a 4c. I use a M2 MacMini with Ableton alongside my iPad 11 pro. I use both units with a usb hub, so wonder if the usb c makes a big difference or not. I’m wondering if the cpu and performance is the same in both of these audio interfaces.

there are some differences between the v2 model of the 4+ to the v1 4+ in terms of the analogue inputs so you will need to check that if you buy a 4+, thats also a good way to buy a more recent model of the 4+. I think you can tell the difference by the placement of the usb ports on the back, they are reversed or in fact the labeling is incorrect on the v1 model or the v2, i can't remember which one actually.

the 4 c also had this change in the analogue inputs compared to the v1 model of the 4+.

not sure about other stuff

• Thanks. I guess I just need to know if those who have a 4+ and are satisfied with using it with usb c iPads or newer Macs, then it’s a much cheaper route for use of usb digital transfer.

• edited March 2

technically there is no difference in USB a/b/c in terms of data transfer in latency, only bandwidth. the latency doesn't get lower and since the amount of audio channels are the same on the 4+ and 4c there won't be a difference in latency unless there is better firmware written on the 4c.

latency it will depend on the CPU of the PC/MAC/IPAD/IPHONE