Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Path meets Sitala

edited July 2022 in Creations

I held off buying Sitala for quite some time. It looked too simple. Did I need another drum app? Yes I did. Sitala allows you to create drum kits in a flash. No creating extra samples, it just makes your samples into kits.
As an experiment I used New Path sequencer to drive Sitala. Replicant was added for extra glitch. Midigates helped to create more randomness and kill a few extra notes. This is not intened as a track, merely a sketch, the results of which could be captured in audio with something like Loopy Pro, or in midi by Helium or Atom.

Comments

• I was not familiar with this app. This would fit my workflow very well. I convert everything to audio. Simple is good. Thanks for posting this.

• edited July 2022

@Paulieworld said:
    I was not familiar with this app. This would fit my workflow very well. I convert everything to audio. Simple is good. Thanks for posting this.

New Path is pretty new. Maybe a month old at most.

I held off too @Toastedghost but couldn’t pass up $4.99 for sitala. Definitely like it a lot so far. Once you load some folders in, it’s so easy to browse through. I created several pitched 808 kits, 12 notes each on their respective pads, then sent Riffer to it in scale, and got some real nice results.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Paulieworld said:
    I was not familiar with this app. This would fit my workflow very well. I convert everything to audio. Simple is good. Thanks for posting this.

I held off too @Toastedghost but couldn’t pass up $4.99 for sitala. Definitely like it a lot so far.

Yes at that price it is a steal.Weird when you are reluctant to buy and then happy you did.

• Would it make sense for Sitala’s developer to offer drum and percussion kits as in-app purchases?

• edited July 2022

@Toastedghost said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@Paulieworld said:

I held off too @Toastedghost but couldn’t pass up $4.99 for sitala. Definitely like it a lot so far.

Yes at that price it is a steal.Weird when you are reluctant to buy and then happy you did.

Totally. It’s not the first time either. I have several similar apps, so I figured I’d wait til it was developed a little more. I saw the sale, then watched @jakoB_haQ video where he compares it to koala, and I caved. Lol.

@NeuM said:
    Would it make sense for Sitala’s developer to offer drum and percussion kits as in-app purchases?

I think so as long as they were good, and inexpensive. Maybe something similar to the way imaschine 2 does IAPs, where you get anywhere from 3-7 kits for $.99. It only comes with 1, so it’s basically creating all your own drum kits. Thats what I usually do anyways, but I still like to have some decent factory options, or IAPs to choose from…

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Toastedghost said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@Paulieworld said:

Totally. It’s not the first time either. I have several similar apps, so I figured I’d wait til it was developed a little more. I saw the sale, then watched @jakoB_haQ video where he compares it to koala, and I caved. Lol.

@NeuM said:
    Would it make sense for Sitala’s developer to offer drum and percussion kits as in-app purchases?

I think so as long as they were good, and inexpensive. Maybe something similar to the way imaschine 2 does IAPs, where you get anywhere from 3-7 kits for $.99. It only comes with 1, so it’s basically creating all your own drum kits. Thats what I usually do anyways, but I still like to have some decent factory options, or IAPs to choose from…

I have no information about their sales numbers, but I was trying to think of a way the developer could expand their offerings, because once an app like this is sold, there aren’t a lot of other upgrade options unless you go the IAP route.

• @NeuM said:

It's something we've talked about. We're currently talking to the person we licensed our 808 kit from to see if they can get us a couple other kits for specific genres that we'll ship with Sitala (which we'll include for free), and may later add more as add-ons. Right now the absolute number of iOS users still isn't high enough that there'd be a lot of money in add-ons.

• @scotchi said:

@NeuM said:

It's something we've talked about. We're currently talking to the person we licensed our 808 kit from to see if they can get us a couple other kits for specific genres that we'll ship with Sitala (which we'll include for free), and may later add more as add-ons. Right now the absolute number of iOS users still isn't high enough that there'd be a lot of money in add-ons.

Thanks for the reply. Hoping for continued success for the app.

• edited August 2022

Works well with Rozeta XOX - though none of the current presets are an exact match? Sounds great:)

• @Toastedghost : hiya! Inspired by your example I took the plunge on New Path. I like the approach to sequencing it has (got a few older weird things which operate in a similar way) but I cant for the life of me work out how to get it to run in the background so I can get it to drive anything else via midi. How do you do it?

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Toastedghost : hiya! Inspired by your example I took the plunge on New Path. I like the approach to sequencing it has (got a few older weird things which operate in a similar way) but I cant for the life of me work out how to get it to run in the background so I can get it to drive anything else via midi. How do you do it?

Yes that foxed me too. Open in Audiobus in the midi side. You can choose all midi or the midi for each shape. Setup a virtual midi port and send to Aum. in Aum you should now be able to link to the virtual port/s and be able to drive whatever you wish.
    Plus I have found (whilst a seaerch will not find) it is possible to load as a audio unit inside Aum. To do this open ab audio unit and scroll right down, keep scrolling, eventually you should be able to see New Path, it does not appear alphabetically mind, and the letter above New Path will read M. Strange I know. Spoke to the dev about other dirrections for New Path but he is too tied up in his music productions at pres to use wishlists.
    Hope you can follow. Cheers

• Hmm. Can’t get that far because it just isn’t there to be seen anywhere in AudioBus as MIDI or Audio. I’ve tried rebooting, reinstalling, opening standalone first, all out of options. So I’ve had to email their tech support, to see what happens next. I am trying to run it on an iPad, not a phone Maybe that is the issue. Pity, because it works fine not driving anything else, and I like what it does… thanks for your help, anyway.

• New path must be open in standalone first. See attachment
    Sorry it is not available in AUM as an audio unit but can be found as an inter-app audio.
    See shot.

• Hi,

Thanks, yes, solved! I also got a very prompt steer from the devs, who were very helpful, and said they are intending to bring it to AUV3 as soon as they can. It looks like a toy, but it has a lot of depth, I think. Like the tactile element of Make Noise Renee. Live interactivity with your sequence as it runs… Be interesting to see how it develops.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Hi,

Thanks, yes, solved! I also got a very prompt steer from the devs, who were very helpful, and said they are intending to bring it to AUV3 as soon as they can. It looks like a toy, but it has a lot of depth, I think. Like the tactile element of Make Noise Renee. Live interactivity with your sequence as it runs… Be interesting to see how it develops.

Glad I could help. Do you have that Eurorack module? Would love to be able to go down that rabbit hole but it is so expense, got stick with my ipad apps for now. My Mac blew up a fews years ago and I still miss Ableton.

• edited August 2022

Hi,

I’ve had a bit of back and forth with the devs, they seem great, and I’ve encouraged them to visit the forum to share their plans for the app. Looks like an AUV3 version will be in the offing next, which’ll be great.

Yes, I do have a second hand Rene Mk1 in my rack, which is great, but I recently got a Noise Engineering Mimetic Digitalis, which does (most of) the same thing but in a much smaller package :smile:

https://noiseengineering.us/products/mimetic-digitalis

so I think I’ll be selling the Rene on soon.

There is no doubt that Eurorack is expensive, but then again, a single top line synth like a Moog Matriarch goes for a couple of grand, and you can build up a powerful and interesting modular system piece by piece, as cash permits, for that sort of money, especially if you have soldering skills (I don’t) or go to the second hand market (I do). That thriving second hand market also means that you can always sell a module on if it doesn’t work out for you.

I’m not a musician, but modular is the nearest to feeling like one in the real world as I’m going to get, bringing the hands on fun which tapping on a screen just doesn’t give you.

I’ve now narrowed down my modular interests largely to things which just don’t or can’t have direct app equivalents, (electro acoustic, physical modelling, electronic weirdness, hands-on direct sound manipulation) and am heading towards a hybrid setup of IPad and modular, stepping over the laptop and DAW altogether. I have Ableton, but am not using it. I might get tempted back to DAWs by Bitwig, which seems like a software made for modular style experimentation, (you can modulate anything with anything, turning the whole DAW into one massive modular synth, and with an Expert Sleepers ES8, it can interface seamlessly with your rack) - but not for a while yet.

This very afternoon, in fact, I’m reorganising things to make room for my newest module, a great example of something which is not easy, if not downright impossible to emulate as an app: