Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - A New Hope Dawns (9-Minute Melodic Ambient)

This is a little different from my usual soundscape style of Ambient. Sure there's a field recording of a rainfall in the piece, but it's secondary to the bass, piano, and top synth.

A little backstory - last week was hell for me. Not only was I stuck in a creative rut while also editing the video for "Blue Angels", but someone who I thought was a close friend of many years blocked me on Facebook messenger after she said some very hurtful shit to me, refusing to listen to me.

So this is me trying my best to regain my hope and dig out of a creative slump and depression.

Comments

• As something of an Ambient neophyte I appreciate that you included the melodic content. I laid in my bed , eyes closed and let myself just listen. Time well spent.
    I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties with your friend. The people we let in closest are the ones who can hurt us the most. I hope you find a resolution and closure.

• I personally like this more than the drone stuff, to get drowned in a pool of harmonics. A very nice bult-up to a climax and release. The background noise adds a lot to the sphere.

• @MadeofWax said:
    As something of an Ambient neophyte I appreciate that you included the melodic content. I laid in my bed , eyes closed and let myself just listen. Time well spent.

Thank you so much mate. :) Laying in bed with my eyes closed is how I like to listen to Ambient, whether melodic like my piece above, or a soundscape, or darker stuff.

Took me about a couple hours of thinking after uploading this piece to SoundCloud, but I'm starting to lean more towards melodic Ambient. 😂 That, when I just wanna make Dark Ambient soundscapes, but I'm burnt out on those.

I’m sorry to hear about your difficulties with your friend. The people we let in closest are the ones who can hurt us the most. I hope you find a resolution and closure.

Me too. Here's the story...(warning, some drama inside)

I know it sounds immature for a 38 year old man to say this, but I'd like to simply tell her to piss off and then block her everywhere permanently. This isn't the first time she's pulled this twaddle on me either if I'm being completely honest where she'd say something that hurts me, I'd calmly rebuttle, and then she'd block me. She's done this 2-3 other times in the past since 2020.

This time however, I tried to talk to her about something important, and she called me a "liar" and "manipulator" and "egotistical" and "I'm smarter than you think I am". When I told her I was telling the truth and that she hurt my feelings, bam, blocked.

If there's one thing she's right about...I am a bit egotistical. But then again, I'm a musician, so an inflated ego often comes with the territory. 🤣

And that's the story. The AudioBus forums...basically music therapy™ 😂

@Identor said:
    I personally like this more than the drone stuff, to get drowned in a pool of harmonics. A very nice bult-up to a climax and release. The background noise adds a lot to the sphere.

Thank you so much mate. :) In a way, the background noise was the drone, but it was the secondary element to the F-major pentatonic scale. I'm so happy you dug the build-up and release. Indeed, my intention this time wasn't to have a steady soundscape with subtle evolutions in timbre throughout but rather to have something a bit more "relatable" (if that makes any sense).

Oh yes, soundscapes do have their place in the sphere of all things Ambient, but as I mentioned above, I think that's why I became burnt out. I've created so many soundscapes that I became stuck in a creative rut. Not a fun headspace. And it seems like ever since the Egyptian Ambient pieces, I've been leaning more towards creating melodic Ambient. Thanks to @jakoB_haQ for fixing his video and making me realise "Shit, Fugue Machine is AUv3?! Since when?!" 😂

But if you've been following my journey, me diving into producing live Ambient in May all started as a way to emerge from a previous four-month-long creative rut. 😂 The last time, I burned out on creating EDM. Then I lusted after the OP-1 Field in May, and then bought myself a new M1 12.9" iPad Pro when my car was barely scraped by accident and I got a shitload of insurance money (seriously, I thought I'd only get a couple hundred quid, and the transferred paint from the other car came right out with a magic eraser), and the rest was history.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Oh yes, soundscapes do have their place in the sphere of all things Ambient, but as I mentioned above, I think that's why I became burnt out. I've created so many soundscapes that I became stuck in a creative rut. Not a fun headspace. And it seems like ever since the Egyptian Ambient pieces, I've been leaning more towards creating melodic Ambient. Thanks to @jakoB_haQ for fixing his video and making me realise "Shit, Fugue Machine is AUv3?! Since when?!" 😂

With Fugue Machine you can add a channel one by one to a total of 4, even with separate outputs, and therefore good to make a build-up. The same with Euclidian, where you can also feed scales into it. There are a lot of options to generate harmonic complexity nowadays.
    Even Polyphase (IAA) can generate some interesting stuff:

• McDMcD
    edited August 2022

Good to see you break through the creative block.

Dealing with people that seem difficult and/or irrational is very draining. They often won’t tell you what their real problem is and it might not even be you. They get hurt for some reason and start to act out to mask their pain.

Empathy and fighting the impulse to get them to fix it usually helps or at least creates a chance to learn what the fuck is wrong.

I find reading about borderline personalities and how to deal with them helps. They need to generate conflict with others to feed some sense of abandonment usually started at a young age. If (for any reason) they think you don’t love them then all bets are off and they will try and make you hurt. Weird… they need to be loved but think no one ever will so settle some score with the pain gods and pass out the hurt and shame.

It’s not a great idea to have too many friends that have this type of personality. It sucks the joy out of existence like the dementors from Askeban.

Tony Soprano’s mother was a classic borderline. My mother-in-law fits the profile and loved to pit her kids against each other. It really messed up my wife with feelings of abandonment at the slightest clue.

• @McD said:

Thanks mate. :) I appreciate it. It's so good to break through it and put something out again.

Dealing with people that seem difficult and/or irrational is very draining. They often won’t tell you what their real problem is and it might not even be you. They get hurt for some reason and start to act out to mask their pain.

Well my (ex?) friend does have a hectic personal life, but while I may come off as a bit narcissistic myself, it really is no excuse to lash out at me in such a volatile, toxic manner like she did. She could do me the polite favour of asking me to "take a break in the friendship" rather than rip me apart, gaslight me, and make me second-guess myself.

And believe it or not, this was over me venting to her about a road incident where some crazy driver was trying to fuck with me on the road, tailgating me, passing me on a one-lane road, slamming on his brakes almost causing me to collide with the back end of his auto, etc. The whole argument had absolutely nothing to do with her or her personal life at all.

Empathy and fighting the impulse to get them to fix it usually helps or at least creates a chance to learn what the fuck is wrong.

Oh I know what's wrong. She seems to have a narcissistic personality, period. She thinks she knows me inside and out and makes assumptions about me. I try to explain my side, but she was my personal judge, jury and executioner. I'm not unempathetic to her hectic personal life, mind, but bloody hell.

I find reading about borderline personalities and how to deal with them helps. They need to generate conflict with others to feed some sense of abandonment usually started at a young age. If (for any reason) they think you don’t love them then all bets are off and they will try and make you hurt. Weird… they need to be loved but think no one ever will so settle some score with the pain gods and pass out the hurt and shame.

Oh she knows I love her like a sister. I always made sure she knows. I'm not sure if it is a borderline personality really but rather a narcissistic personality like my late mother (although to be fair to my friend, my mother was far worse 😬).

It’s not a great idea to have too many friends that have this type of personality. It sucks the joy out of existence like the dementors from Askeban.

No shit mate. Nor too many friends with narcissistic traits either. Both personality types will suck the living soul right out of a person.

Tony Soprano’s mother was a classic borderline. My mother-in-law fits the profile and loved to pit her kids against each other. It really messed up my wife with feelings of abandonment at the slightest clue.

😳 Give my regards to your wife. Disrespect intended, but your mother-in-law is a monster for treating any child in such a fashion. My mother did similar, but we'll not get into that here. That's another gripe for another day.

• Glad to hear of your "re-emergence"!!!
    Very hopeful music, and the dramatic sounds, far from your ambient usual, is joyful and melodious.
    Always good to hear your creations.
    Rene

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Glad to hear of your "re-emergence"!!!
    Very hopeful music, and the dramatic sounds, far from your ambient usual, is joyful and melodious.
    Always good to hear your creations.
    Rene

Thank you so much my friend. I'm first catching up now on my notifications, lol. I like this more joyful and melodious outing myself. :) Although I'm a part of the Horror Movie Massive, so I'll be returning "to form" very soon. 🤣

• @McD said:

100%. These kind of people can be super fun, charming and exciting but it's the full story that makes the difference. Had to learn that too 😉

• Great track, enjoyed it a lot more than the ‘dark stuff’… not really my thing 😊
    Especially liked the ‘squeaky balloon’ synth sounds 🎈

• @GeoTony said:
    Great track, enjoyed it a lot more than the ‘dark stuff’… not really my thing 😊

That's fair. :) I do like the dark stuff and created something VERY bizarre for that ABF horror movie project, but I'm not posting it to SoundCloud juuuust yet. :)

Especially liked the ‘squeaky balloon’ synth sounds 🎈

Me too! A little portamento goes a long way. 😉

• This is great. I appreciate the patience and sense of pacing. That 9 minutes went by quickly. Glad you are back.

• Melodic ambient… 👍👍👍👍

Sartre said “Hell is other people”..
    LL says “and we’re all other people”.

• A very positive development in your ambient explorations - really liked this! Good work :)

• @myapologies said:
    This is great. I appreciate the patience and sense of pacing. That 9 minutes went by quickly. Glad you are back.

Thank you so much mate. ❤️ I appreciate it.

@LinearLineman said:
    Melodic ambient… 👍👍👍👍

Sartre said “Hell is other people”..
    LL says “and we’re all other people”.

Lol! I love it.

@Svetlovska said:
    A very positive development in your ambient explorations - really liked this! Good work :)

Thank you so much mate. This style seems to suit me great actually.