Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Felted Piano for IOS

McDMcD
edited August 2022 in General App Discussion

We need a Felted Piano for IOS. Thoughts… examples… hacks of our beloved IOS pianos?

DecentSampler has one as I recall. I just find that particular app a little buggy. Maybe it’s better now. That one can be downloaded at piano book.co.uk after picking up DecentSampler. It’s free.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not an option yet, but once Pianoteq is on iOS you'll have access to a felt piano.

• @hes said:
    Not an option yet, but once Pianoteq is on iOS you'll have access to a felt piano.

That would be a nice solution. I should consider a short term loan to get ready for all the models of piano I covet.

• edited August 2022
  • Found it!
    Gotta find a way to import the instrument and samples without headaches now...

• edited August 2022

This one has a certain crispy-ness to the attack. Under the right hands it sounds downright lyrical. There might be some artificial sustain using delays or reverbs (aside from the obvious effects).

I’ve thought a lot about how one might achieve this using effects and a good upright piano. It may be a short sample at the beginning for the “felt attack” and then some filters to mellow it out. Might experiment tonight.

(Pianoteq coming eventually, but I find pianoteq’ s felted pianos to be a little off sounding).

• Exactly @ion677. That's how I know felt pianos.

• @ReflectiveHaze said:
    Just thinking about it...the felt dulls the attack? Or just makes the piano a little darker sounding?
    Darker could be done with a LP filter or EQ. How would one "dull the attack" (if that is indeed what the felt does)?

It is more complicated than that. The harmonics are difference and the balance of attack and decay is different as is the nature of the attack. I nice felted piano has an interesting sound. I think Nils Frahm is largely responsible for the popularity of felted pianos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felt_(Nils_Frahm_album)

https://nilsfrahm.bandcamp.com/album/felt

• edited August 2022
  • McDMcD
    edited August 2022

Here’s some FX apps applied to the Numa Players keyboards. I change the piano preset every 10 seconds in the beginning:

https://on.soundcloud.com/QERA9rq4k4AdF9BH8

The FX apps are:

• FAC Transient
    • Objeq (which sadly may have dropped out on iTunes)
    • Magic Death Eye Stereo - any limiter will do
    • Parametric Equalizer - just pull up the bass and roll off the highs

Objeq is the secret sauce and these are the settings I like:

• edited August 2022

That's a nice example @ion677 I also know felted upright pianos as being very warm/soft but with that subtle high freq attack. Which is very unique to felt.
    I'm also a fan of that whole Klavins Una Corda / Nils Frahm vibe which takes that soft high frequency hammer attack / noise to the next level :)

Yes I can confirm that the Pianoteq felt sounds a little off. It muffles the pianos and tries to add that typical felt attack but that's where it fails mostly in my opinion. The high frequency noise sounds quite artificial and instead of being like a soft white noise you can hear metallic sounding overtones. On my desktop I rather use some of the (cheapish) Spitfire Audio Originals pianos.

On iPad I tried out some of the Piano Book / Decent Sampler Pianos which sounded good to my ear but lack a little dynamic and consistency IMO. But quite amazing considering that they're free.

I'm waiting a bit for Spitfire to join the party on iPad and (at least) offer their affordable stuff. Labs and Originals. They at least seem to show some interest by offering some of their stuff in Staffpad.
    I guess we first need Logic to make a move for the others to join in :)
    Oh well in German I now would say: Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt.

• I don't think the typical felt attack sound can be achieved from a regular sampled piano using common effect processors.

• @rs2000 said:
    I don't think the typical felt attack sound can be achieved from a regular sampled piano using common effect processors.

+1

• @rs2000 said:
    I don't think the typical felt attack sound can be achieved from a regular sampled piano using common effect processors.

Try adding the Impaktor like physical modelers.

• I think what gives Felted Pianos that lovely character, is the cotton-ish attack, it´s just so pleasurable

• Scaler 2 has a great felted piano

• @Thelast27 said:
    Scaler 2 has a great felted piano

+1

• There are two types of traditional pianos, the grand piano and the upright piano. Both of them use felt-covered hammers. Is "Felted Piano" someone's trademark or is it perhaps a patch name?

• @NeuM said:
    There are two types of traditional pianos, the grand piano and the upright piano. Both of them use felt-covered hammers. Is "Felted Piano" someone's trademark or is it perhaps a patch name?

There’s an added layer of felt between the hammers and strings.

• @ion677 said:

@NeuM said:
    There are two types of traditional pianos, the grand piano and the upright piano. Both of them use felt-covered hammers. Is "Felted Piano" someone's trademark or is it perhaps a patch name?

There’s an added layer of felt between the hammers and strings.

Ah, interesting.

• Doesn’t scaler comes with one? I might be remembering wrong. I refuse to buy it on iOS

• Yep scaler 2

• Another felt Piano lover here. IMO, the best sounding ones on iOS can be found on pianobook. There are plenty of nice sounding ones there but I find myself always coming back to the same few: the ones sampled and mapped by Christian Henson himself (one of the men behind spitfire). I especially love The Claustrophobic and The Winter felt which I sometimes layer using the triple felt which can add this extra felt hammer attack feel. But there are lots of other nice sounding felt Piano there too. The one in scaler 2 is also usable but IMHO not on the same level as Christian Henson's ones.
    After trying most available piano app on iOS, I realized that the sound I am after is not the perfect grand, but on the opposite, I am looking for the imperfection of this old family upright I used to enjoy playing when I was a kid. The recently released pure upright gets me closer to this sound I have been looking for. If only e-instruments had included a set of heavily felted samples...

• @espiegel123 said:

@ReflectiveHaze said:
    Just thinking about it...the felt dulls the attack? Or just makes the piano a little darker sounding?
    Darker could be done with a LP filter or EQ. How would one "dull the attack" (if that is indeed what the felt does)?

It is more complicated than that. The harmonics are difference and the balance of attack and decay is different as is the nature of the attack. I nice felted piano has an interesting sound. I think Nils Frahm is largely responsible for the popularity of felted pianos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felt_(Nils_Frahm_album)

https://nilsfrahm.bandcamp.com/album/felt

+1 Nils Frahm and Olafur Arnalds

• @rs2000 said:

+1

• @JanKun said:
    Another felt Piano lover here. IMO, the best sounding ones on iOS can be found on pianobook. There are plenty of nice sounding ones there but I find myself always coming back to the same few: the ones sampled and mapped by Christian Henson himself (one of the men behind spitfire). I especially love The Claustrophobic and The Winter felt which I sometimes layer using the triple felt which can add this extra felt hammer attack feel. But there are lots of other nice sounding felt Piano there too. The one in scaler 2 is also usable but IMHO not on the same level as Christian Henson's ones.
    After trying most available piano app on iOS, I realized that the sound I am after is not the perfect grand, but on the opposite, I am looking for the imperfection of this old family upright I used to enjoy playing when I was a kid. The recently released pure upright gets me closer to this sound I have been looking for. If only e-instruments had included a set of heavily felted samples...

+1

• edited August 2022

@McD said:
    Here’s some FX apps applied to the Numa Players keyboards. I change the piano preset every 10 seconds in the beginning:

https://on.soundcloud.com/QERA9rq4k4AdF9BH8

The FX apps are:

• FAC Transient
    • Objeq (which sadly may have dropped out on iTunes)
    • Magic Death Eye Stereo - any limiter will do
    • Parametric Equalizer - just pull up the bass and roll off the highs

Objeq is the secret sauce and these are the settings I like:

Problem is with Objeq though that its pitch is a not going to change. To get an accurate resonance for a pitched instrument you'd have to go through in post production and slightly change the settings for every note played. But oh that's sad if it's no longer available.... Doesn't bode well for more AAS stuff coming to IOS.

• DS has > @jacou said:

@JanKun said:
    Another felt Piano lover here. IMO, the best sounding ones on iOS can be found on pianobook. There are plenty of nice sounding ones there but I find myself always coming back to the same few: the ones sampled and mapped by Christian Henson himself (one of the men behind spitfire). I especially love The Claustrophobic and The Winter felt which I sometimes layer using the triple felt which can add this extra felt hammer attack feel. But there are lots of other nice sounding felt Piano there too. The one in scaler 2 is also usable but IMHO not on the same level as Christian Henson's ones.

+1

yep much love for winter felt