Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Steel Guitar Pro from Yonac - not really usable with anything else

Ok if playing stand-alone using the screen as then interface.

Issues are the MIDI learn does not work, well for basic functions like volume control and sustain.

You cannot even set these manually (even though there is capability to do so) it simply does not "see" anything else other than note data.

Developer must have created it thinking it was the ONLY instrument being played and hence played directly from the iPad screen....certainly is not set well for controller keyboards.

Sent messages to the developer with nothing but silence! It's a shame as some of the sounds are really good!

Oh and, annoyingly, it creates a double (audible) pop/click when it loads even with volume set to off. Quite loud when running through a PA!!

Comments

• Did you try a force restart of your iOS device?

• edited August 2022

@NeuM said:
    Did you try a force restart of your iOS device?

For what purpose? Contrary to popular belief hard resets are not the answer in a lot of cases! Apps can (and are) faulty in audio implementation sometimes (and other operational things too). Bit like the hype surrounding defragging hard drives often touted as being the "be-all and end-all" of PC issues! :wink:

Seriously though, had the developer got back to me, I'd probs not have posted anything at all.

• @pax-eterna said:

@NeuM said:
    Did you try a force restart of your iOS device?

For what purpose? Contrary to popular belief hard resets are not the answer in a lot of cases! Apps can (and are) faulty in audio implementation sometimes (and other operational things too). Bit like the hype surrounding defragging hard drives often touted as being the "be-all and end-all" of PC issues! :wink:

Seriously though, had the developer got back to me, I'd probs not have posted anything at all.

I think he asked because other folks are using it successfully from a midi controller.

• This app outputs a kind of almost MPE protocol that can be recorded in a DAW and used to re-create a performance.

There are several threads that diagnose how to hack the MIDI out to use it as a poor man’s GeoShred Pedal Guitar. The output is a note per string and +/- 12 pitch bends to slide up or down the fret board.

For sustain I recommend a script the holds note offs until the pedal is lifted (cc 64 < 64). There’s a Mozaic script in the threads I mentioned.

Volume control should be cc=1 on channel 16 I think.

Anyway, it’s not designed to be a guitar playback synth. But you can add hacks to get closer.

I’d like to see the sustain on channel 1 added and volume on channel 0. It really would not break their playback protocol because they don’t use channel 1 in there scheme.

Those Steel sounds are golden.

They have a forum where you can document the weeks you have been ignored.

Maybe they will add these features in an update.

It’s still my favorite guitar tone and you can run it through an Amp Sim and build any tone.

Mastering the actual user interface can be better than any midi controller for microtonal slides. Check out the threads for a script to make it output MPE like streams useful for apps that support 12 step pitch bends.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2022

@McD said:
    This app outputs a kind of almost MPE protocol that can be recorded in a DAW and used to re-create a performance.

There are several threads that diagnose how to hack the MIDI out to use it as a poor man’s GeoShred Pedal Guitar. The output is a note per string and +/- 12 pitch bends to slide up or down the fret board.

For sustain I recommend a script the holds note offs until the pedal is lifted (cc 64 < 64). There’s a Mozaic script in the threads I mentioned.

Anyway, it’s not designed to be a guitar playback synth. But you can add hacks to get closer.

I’d like to see the sustain on channel 1 added and volume on channel 0. It really would not break their playback protocol because they don’t use channel 1 in there scheme.

It’s still my favorite guitar tone and you can run it through an Amp Sim and build any tone.

Mastering the actual user interface can be better than any midi controller for microtonal slides. Check out the threads for a script to make it output MPE like streams useful for apps that support 12 step pitch bends.

Thanks much!! Very useful info :) - not really after a Shredder scenario haha! Just want to add a guitar to existing setups as an alternate solo instrument...I play bass and keys (with drum units) and it's sometimes nice to have an alternate lead :)

• @pax-eterna said:

@McD said:
    This app outputs a kind of almost MPE protocol that can be recorded in a DAW and used to re-create a performance.

Thanks much!! Very useful info :) - not really after a Shredder scenario haha! Just want to add a guitar to existing setups as an alternate solo instrument...I play bass and keys (with drum units) and it's sometimes nice to have an alternate lead :)

FWIW, that popping sound when initializing the app (even in AUv3) is not your imagination. It drives me crazy--and yes, I rebooted my iPad and it still does it.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@pax-eterna said:

@McD said:

FWIW, that popping sound when initializing the app (even in AUv3) is not your imagination. It drives me crazy--and yes, I rebooted my iPad and it still does it.

Thanks heaps!!! Nice to get it verified.

• I only use it as a midi instrument and I love how it sounds, I don't use any modulation tho, just straight midi notes.