Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pulsate To The Irresistible

Ravenscroft 275 and BeatHawk Total Bass.

Comments

• I Like how downright unapologetic those piano lines get while still being connected to that (convincingly live sounding) bass. B)

• It took me a lot longer than the 4:42 run time of this song to make it to the end. I kept pausing and going back to hear some of those amazing runs on the keys. Phenomenal playing.

• There was a guy here in Chicago named Ken Nordine. He had a radio program called 'Word Jazz'. He would recite incredibly imaginative spoken word while an ensemble of Chicago jazz and studio players improvised. I'm hearing him now. If you have haven't heard his work, I think you would enjoy. Nice!

• Absolutely badass! Seriously inspired playing in there.

• Another irresistible track, Mike ! You're on fire ! Keep them coming !

• Hi Linear Lineman,
    Agree with janKun, definitely on fire, you are, Sir!!!
    Then bass and the piano is so lovely.
    The sophistication of your runs are truly irresistible.
    This is my fav of your work.
    Rene

• Thanks @Proppa, when you have nothin you have nothin to lose.
    @MadeofWax, you give me pause. Thx.
    @Paulieworld, indeed, I am very familiar with Ken Nordine. What a voice!
    Thanks for the praise @lukesleepwalker. Appreciated.
    Thanks for listening @JanKun , it is getting a bit hot in here!
    @ReneAsologuitar, I'm glad this got to you. Thanks from Savannah!

• Great inter-play of piano and bass, treated as equal partners. Excellent track!
    IT would be nice (for us lesser musicians) if you could do something like a ‘chord of the moment’ I.e. a favourite chord from the piece in question so that we (I) could go away and practice it.
    Having said all that given that you improvise it I bet you don’t even know what the chords were that you used ?

• @GeoTony exactly right. I don’t know what chords I used. But…here is a chord of the moment…
    1-b3-4-5-7. That’s a chord I would, for sure play. Maybe @McD will play it for us. Thr minor, maj7 with a sus4.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2022

@LinearLineman said:
    @GeoTony exactly right. I don’t know what chords I used. But…here is a chord of the moment…
    1-b3-4-5-7. That’s a chord I would, for sure play. Maybe @McD will play it for us. Thr minor, maj7 with a sus4.

Since the 3rd is present that 4 would be labeled as an 11th. But if voiced in an octave I’d lust call it a cluster myself. It’s all the notes in a Minor Pentatonic that they just sound great together like strumming an exotic world music harp.

The chord of the moment is universal and really deep in many traditions… esp Asia.

My moody variant is the minor 9th: 1 2 b3 5 b7 voiced with root by the bass instrument and a b7 9(2) b3 5 tight cluster in the right hand.

• @Paulieworld said:
    There was a guy here in Chicago named Ken Nordine. He had a radio program called 'Word Jazz'. He would recite incredibly imaginative spoken word while an ensemble of Chicago jazz and studio players improvised. I'm hearing him now. If you have haven't heard his work, I think you would enjoy. Nice!

Love that guy. I am tempted to rap over this track myself. Very nice.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Paulieworld said:
    There was a guy here in Chicago named Ken Nordine. He had a radio program called 'Word Jazz'. He would recite incredibly imaginative spoken word while an ensemble of Chicago jazz and studio players improvised. I'm hearing him now. If you have haven't heard his work, I think you would enjoy. Nice!

Please do it and share the results. Mike would love to reach the youths with something current they could relate to. Being stuck in the 60’s musically is a bitch for building an audience.

This track is the closest IMHO to the music recorded when he was with the NewArtists record label. Unabashedly Jazz improv without any intention of leaving the genre. The fact you’d be inspired to rap is very cool for a 70+ musician.

• @McD said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Paulieworld said:

Please do it and share the results. Mike would love to reach the youths with something current they could relate to. Being stuck in the 60’s musically is a bitch for building an audience.

This track is the closest IMHO to the music recorded when he was with the NewArtists record label. Unabashedly Jazz improv without any intention of leaving the genre. The fact you’d be inspired to rap is very cool for a 70+ musician.

My flow is more 1950s Beatnik poetry than anything contemporary though. I am very uncool.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, by all means, please do. I would love to be a part of that. You can download or I can send a wave. I’d love to hear our mod friend @CapnWillie give it a rattle, too.

Indeed, @McD, I’m stuck in the 60s, the 1760s, 1860s and the 1960s. Now I’m stuck in the ‘20s as well.

• edited August 2022

@LinearLineman @McD

I improvised two more tracks:

@LinearLineman @McD

Damn, the flute part is terrific. That notes at 1:30 3:20! The whole thing is very fun. I’d love to see @rs2000 remix this. I’d take a crack at it myself. A more musical Ken Nordine. We need an @McD summation here. Thanks for doing that, my friend.

• @LinearLineman said:

@LinearLineman @McD

Damn, the flute part is terrific. That notes at 1:30 3:20! The whole thing is very fun. I’d love to see @rs2000 remix this. I’d take a crack at it myself. A more musical Ken Nordine. We need an @McD summation here. Thanks for doing that, my friend.

Those are my first take improvs. Vocal could have used a second pass, but it was getting late and the wife wanted a foot rub.

@LinearLineman said:

@LinearLineman @McD

Those are my first take improvs. Vocal could have used a second pass, but it was getting late and the wife wanted a foot rub.

I hope you’ll mess with it some more. You’re close.

• @LinearLineman said:

5 Positive Things:
    1. every instrument sounds like a pristine recorded instance.
    2. The musicianship of the players is top tier.
    3. The piano player is on fire.
    4. The flute player is listening and trying to find an available slot to chime in.
    5. The vocal sound like something I'd like to read the while listening

1 thing I'd like to see changed.
    1. The mix has everyone on the same frequency spectrum so the original track needs to
    somehow provide some spectrum for the vocal. Applying a Parametric EQ to the original material that scoops out the mid-range and then a EQ that boost the vocal for clarity.

Something like that using the "5 to 1" rule? 5 to build credibility with the artists and ONE to change something you'd like changed if possible. Ideally something that doesn't require recording but a post production tool like a re-mix. Sometimes, if you know it's a MIDI project changing a target instrument is cool.

• @McD said:

@LinearLineman said:

5 Positive Things:
    4. The flute player is listening and trying to find an available slot to chime in.

1. The mix has everyone on the same frequency spectrum so the original track needs to
    somehow provide some spectrum for the vocal. Applying a Parametric EQ to the original material that scoops out the mid-range and then a EQ that boost the vocal for clarity.

Something like that using the "5 to 1" rule? 5 to build credibility with the artists and ONE to change something you'd like changed if possible. Ideally something that doesn't require recording but a post production tool like a re-mix. Sometimes, if you know it's a MIDI project changing a target instrument is cool.

Thanks for the critique. I am bad at mixing, but now you’ve given me some things to try tonight. Much appreciated!

@McD said:

@LinearLineman said:

5 Positive Things:

Thanks for the critique. I am bad at mixing, but now you’ve given me some things to try tonight. Much appreciated!

Ka-ching! I love it when I can drive the bus from the back row.

Seriously, I always want to hear the vocal… If the band was listening they would create a little space for the frontman that actually has something to say. (Not serious… I realize there were no vocals and it’s the piano players gig.)

I wonder what sidechain compression would do to pull the vocal out of the mix? It’s usually used to make sure the dancers can hear the drums… does it help to provide spectrum for a vocal? Bueller? Bueller? @rs2000 (He’s the forum’s Bueller.

Who mixes spoken word? What can you advise?

• edited August 2022

@McD said:

@McD said:

@LinearLineman said:

5 Positive Things:

Seriously, I always want to hear the vocal… If the band was listening they would create a little space for the frontman that actually has something to say. (Not serious… I realize there were no vocals and it’s the piano players gig.)

I wonder what sidechain compression would do to pull the vocal out of the mix? It’s usually used to make sure the dancers can hear the drums… does it help to provide spectrum for a vocal? Bueller? Bueller? @rs2000 (He’s the forum’s Bueller.

I took your advice re eq, left more space for the soloists. Huuuge improvement just by mixing and editing alone. What else left to do?

• edited August 2022

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr, marvelous improvement! A little too sibilant on the vocal (but your voice and the words sound totally great). I like the addition of the crowd. Flute most excellent and in the right place. @McD is the final arbiter if he can tear himself away from his own thread. Your flute playing is exceptional on this.

Please post this as it’s own thread when you’re done. It’s a winner. And help yourself to any other tracks of mine for more. Thanks again for doing this excellent stuff. I was really impressed by what you did. 👍👍👍🙏

• 5 to 1 rule:

5 I like.
    1. The clarity of the instruments is dramatically improved.
    2. I can make out every single word.
    3. The flute player is inspired.
    4. The pianist is fucking fearless.
    5. The added "club goers" audio is genius to flash out the picture.

The one think I'd like to change...
    Hire a drummer. Drummer's need work too. (I'm available on Thursday nights when there's no bingo at the Y). To add the drum track I'd need to get my MIDICat pads from storage. But I'd do it for scale. This is a Union gig right?

• @CapnWillie said:
    I really love this man. > @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@McD said:

@McD said:

@LinearLineman said:

5 Positive Things:

I took your advice re eq, left more space for the soloists. Huuuge improvement just by mixing and editing alone. What else left to do?

Wow! That Mo’ Betta makes it Mo’ Betta. Very well done @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr ! Loved the remix. Watch the plosives (sibilance) and I would turn the vocal down slightly but otherwise great stuff man. 💪🏽

@CapnWillie said:
    I really love this man. > @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@McD said:

@McD said:

@LinearLineman said:

5 Positive Things:

Wow! That Mo’ Betta makes it Mo’ Betta. Very well done @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr ! Loved the remix. Watch the plosives (sibilance) and I would turn the vocal down slightly but otherwise great stuff man. 💪🏽

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I’m going to have to learn that Pro-DS app I got in the Fabfilter bundle.

• @McD said:
    5 to 1 rule:

5 I like.

Hire a drummer. Drummer's need work too. (I'm available on Thursday nights when there's no bingo at the Y). To add the drum track I'd need to get my MIDICat pads from storage. But I'd do it for scale. This is a Union gig right?

Drums would be very cool. That would inspire me to work on the vocal part some more. It’s been inspiring to work with you guys already.

• McDMcD
    edited August 2022

@McD said:
    5 to 1 rule:

5 I like.

Drums would be very cool. That would inspire me to work on the vocal part some more. It’s been inspiring to work with you guys already.

You could forward the mix I will add drums.

Actually I could play to the SoundCloud instance and send you a wave file of my drum part to import to your daw. Give me a few days.