Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

7 synth tips by Bo Beats

edited August 2022 in Knowledge Base

I found this video by my fellow Swede Bo Beats pretty good, maybe someone else will as well!

/DMfan🇸🇪

Comments

• I alway seem to 'forget' the inverted envelope thing for the filter :sunglasses:

• Off on a tangent: Based on his popularity and his style in his videos, he really doesn't come across as the kind of guy that would want or need to follow this horrible idiot-face cover image thing. I would assume he doesn't like it that much. I wonder why feels he needs to do it anyway.

• That minilogue is a cool-looking synth.

• @ervin said:
    Off on a tangent: Based on his popularity and his style in his videos, he really doesn't come across as the kind of guy that would want or need to follow this horrible idiot-face cover image thing. I would assume he doesn't like it that much. I wonder why feels he needs to do it anyway.

Maybe it's because Youtube seems to promote/recommend reaction videos...
    ...I've become close immune to the advertising algorithms and skip or do something else what they play muting the content.

I'm not particularly fond of the direction that all this 'Social Media BS' is heading...
    ...the credibility of the content creators is totally lost with the 'paid reviews' no matter what they say about their 'opinions' if they don't say good things they will not get more products to review from that company, it's as simple as that...

Initially I thought his channel was about food "Bob Eats"

• @ervin said:
    Off on a tangent: Based on his popularity and his style in his videos, he really doesn't come across as the kind of guy that would want or need to follow this horrible idiot-face cover image thing. I would assume he doesn't like it that much. I wonder why feels he needs to do it anyway.

If I see that type of thumbnail I’ll give it a chance and if there’s no (to me) worthwhile content I’ll just block it. One YouTube account I follow has started doing the weird thumbnails and when asked why he said it seems to help attract viewers. It just seems silly to me. But then, so does a lot of social media.

• @ samu: ‘bob eats’ - ha! Made me laugh out loud. I’m never not going to think that when I watch him now… :)

• edited August 2022

@ervin said:
    Off on a tangent:

Parody? The thumbnail looks like the start of a new fad: the first reaction-to-a-reaction video.

• @Samu said:

@ervin said:

Maybe it's because Youtube seems to promote/recommend reaction videos...
    ...I've become close immune to the advertising algorithms and skip or do something else what they play muting the content.

I'm not particularly fond of the direction that all this 'Social Media BS' is heading...
    ...the credibility of the content creators is totally lost with the 'paid reviews' no matter what they say about their 'opinions' if they don't say good things they will not get more products to review from that company, it's as simple as that...

Initially I thought his channel was about food "Bob Eats"

Bob eats 🎖️

I'm with you on the paid/supported reviewer thing in general. These guys have in effect become external marketing associates more than anything. That being said, the really good ones (like loopop for example; Bo has become too marketingy for me, and then you have guys like Sanjay way at the commercial end) - the really good ones are still able to offer useful, factual information in their videos that I can use when making decisions about buying or further exploring something.

• @ervin said:

I'm with you on the paid/supported reviewer thing in general. These guys have in effect become external marketing associates more than anything. That being said, the really good ones (like loopop for example; Bo has become too marketingy for me, and then you have guys like Sanjay way at the commercial end) - the really good ones are still able to offer useful, factual information in their videos that I can use when making decisions about buying or further exploring something.

One channel that was and still is a real eye-opener for me was the one run by Julian Krause.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/JulianKrause

Especially this recent one with the 'Gain Range' thing.
    Why do so many audio-interface developers hide the real 0dbFS (Line-Up Level) of their interfaces?

After watching one of his videos on the head-phone amps in audio-interfaces the decision to get the ID4Mk2 was easy...
    ...I just love the interface :sunglasses:

• @ervin said:

Quite honestly the image and the hyperbole of the title put me off from watching it. I wish people would stop doing both things and just give straightforward information on what the video is about.

• @Samu said:
    One channel that was and still is a real eye-opener for me was the one run by Julian Krause.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/JulianKrause

I love that guy!! Ruthless German efficiency. "Das Review", as it were 👍 He comes across a bit like the first successful result of humanity's ongoing effort to create a sentient AI. But he doesn't care, he even jokes about it himself sometimes (refuting one of the stereotypes about Germans). He's great. I wouldn't buy an audio interface at this point without checking his review first.

@michael_m said:
    Quite honestly the image and the hyperbole of the title put me off from watching it. I wish people would stop doing both things and just give straightforward information on what the video is about.

Same here. We're probably not the target group, either. 🤷

• How about we strike the phrase “life changing” from everything? THAT would change my life. 😂

• @anickt said:
    How about we strike the phrase “life changing” from everything? THAT would change my life. 😂

Title of thread changed. Interesting discussion about sponsored videos, although I posted genuinely just wanting to share the actual knowledge itself.👊

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @DMfan said:
    Title of thread changed. Interesting discussion about sponsored videos, although I posted genuinely just wanting to share the actual knowledge itself.👊

/DMfan🇸🇪

This is the best way to go through life. Ignore the stupid stuff that's annoying (if you can't change it), focus on the interesting and good bits.

There's a lot of quality content on YouTube, it's unfortunate that so many are forced to play the "algorithm" game to get viewership.

• @DMfan said:

@anickt said:
    How about we strike the phrase “life changing” from everything? THAT would change my life. 😂

/DMfan🇸🇪

It was a really informative video. Thanks for sharing!

• @mojozart said:

@ervin said:
    Off on a tangent:

Parody? The thumbnail looks like the start of a new fad: the first reaction-to-a-reaction video.

Unfortunately it has been proven statistically that the stupid face look generates more clicks

• @Toastedghost said:

@mojozart said:

@ervin said:
    Off on a tangent:

Unfortunately it has been proven statistically that the stupid face look generates more clicks

It makes me not click on it. I like YouTube, but “Youtubers” are getting on my nerves

• About Bob Eats' :trollface: video content itself - it's pretty straightforward and easy to understand. The tips and tricks are excellent, some of which I didn't consider using (such as the inverted envelope).

About the "stupid face" and "dramatic title", I agree that it seems unnecessary on the surface. But, content creators have to appease the "Youtube algorithm gods" somehow in order to get their videos out there, even if the videos themselves are top quality and straightforward. Take for instance this Hainbach video...

...kind of a goofy thumbnail? But Hainbach's videos are always top quality, fascinating, and relaxing. The Bob Ross of experimental music.

True, there are some Youtubers I've since unsubscribed from, not because of the thumbnails but rather the content itself becoming increasingly grating on the nerves. Razzbowski is one of them. Not to take the piss, but he used to be energetic and funny with his original Five Nights playthroughs, but over the years he's become an increasingly unbearable hyperactive nutter (that's putting it politely) who is clearly putting on an act and pretending to be excited about everything. (Either that, or he spends his income on coke. 🤣 )

In short - don't judge a book by its cover nor a video by its thumbnail. Judge the video by the quality of the content. 🤷

• I’ve seen YouTube channels get their following without all the silly stuff, they do it by offering good content, and engaging with the audience on a sincere level. Never asking for likes or subscriptions. Hell they don’t even market the channel. Turns out if you just come out with genuine stuff and don’t talk to your audience like they are babies, word spreads.

On my YouTube front page, there isn’t a single “surprise face” idiot to be found because I religiously click “don’t recommend this”. What’s left is a bunch of cool channels who seem to be doing absolutely fine in the likes and subscribers department.

• @db909 said:
    I’ve seen YouTube channels get their following without all the silly stuff, they do it by offering good content, and engaging with the audience on a sincere level. Never asking for likes or subscriptions. Hell they don’t even market the channel. Turns out if you just come out with genuine stuff and don’t talk to your audience like they are babies, word spreads.

On my YouTube front page, there isn’t a single “surprise face” idiot to be found because I religiously click “don’t recommend this”. What’s left is a bunch of cool channels who seem to be doing absolutely fine in the likes and subscribers department.

I concur. My own YT “feed” is free of such, because I’ve “trained” the site sufficiently, over quite a stretch of time now I suppose.

I do not wish to be “infotained”, marketed to or whatever else. Just the real stuff, thanks, and to be treated as a fellow adult with a fully functional mind.

• Unfortunately this is how everyone else gets more views.
    If you want to compete, you have to do it too.
    Like steroids in sports.

• I think calling this a Bobeats vid is pushing it a bit. I’m only half way through, but it seems like Oscillator Sink is doing all the work.

• edited August 2022

OK, OK. Please stop. Just stop. OP here.

Now we have four topics in one thread in the category Knowledge Base: synth tips, opinions on sponsored videos, opinions on how to trick YT algorithms and now… how much own content is needed to call it your own video. I realize I now introduce a fifth topic about hijacking a thread.

All opinions are perfectly fine and to each their own, but please do it in a separate thread. I just wanted to share some synth tips around sound creation and perhaps get some more tips from you all knowledgeable people.

That’s it.

If you don’t have synth tips or opinions about the synth tips per se in the video, please make your own thread.

Please🙏.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• Oh dear. The stupid surprised silly face thumbnail strikes again 😱🤪
    One of many unfortunate things to come out of the rise of social media 🤮
    It was novel and amusing at first, but so predictable and tiresome now, the idea has been hideously overused. I’ve come to expect it these days as the whole internet is saturated with it.
    I simply can’t understand how that mechanic works? Hyperbole and stupid faces? Viewers are more attracted to watch a video if it has a stupid face thumbnail? Really? That’s rather telling and worrying...

Good synth tips, though. But they didn’t make me clasp my hands to my face or widen my eyes or drop my jaw. My life didn’t change either.

“Bob eats” - that cracked me up bigtime. I can’t unsee that now! Heh!

• Never mind the silly face thumbnail.
    Think of all the time and data wasted listening to them begging for us to like and subscribe in every single video.
    Now there’s also more time wasted talking about their sponsors and begging for us to “buy them a coffee” on patreon.

• @DMfan said:
    OK, OK. Please stop. Just stop. OP here.

Now we have four topics in one thread in the category Knowledge Base: synth tips, opinions on sponsored videos, opinions on how to trick YT algorithms and now… how much own content is needed to call it your own video. I realize I know introduce a fifth topic about hijacking a thread.

All opinions are perfectly fine and to each their own, but please do it in a separate thread. I just wanted to share some synth tips around sound creation and perhaps get some more tips from you all knowledgeable people.

That’s it.

If you don’t have synth tips or opinions about the synth tips per se in the video, please make your own thread.

Please🙏.

/DMfan🇸🇪

I found it really useful. The inverted envelope tip alone was gold. Seems silly to disregard a video purely because of a thumbnail. The video is really matter of fact and clearly explained. Thanks again for sharing 👍

• edited August 2022

@FordTimeLord said:
    I found it really useful. The inverted envelope tip alone was gold. Seems silly to disregard a video purely because of a thumbnail. The video is really matter of fact and clearly explained. Thanks again for sharing 👍

Glad it was of value to you! I am mostly a preset user due to lack of time since I just play with iOS music stuff for fun, but sound creation and sculpting has always fascinated me. I am slowly forcing myself into the realms of sound, song and music production.

I am however often still at the stage where I play a dark pad in the low end, and slowly turn the cutoff until my table or headphones shake of the bass😁. Just listening, thinking ” wow, that’s cool!”. That’s me!

I am like a dog basically. Give me a ball (a synth) and I will happily play with it for hours…😎.

/DMfan🇸🇪

• @Toastedghost said:

@mojozart said:

@ervin said:
    Off on a tangent:

Yep sadly. Still not gonna do it, I have my pride lol

• I imagine the efficacy of the silly face thing will wear off after some time. Then people will stand out by NOT doing it. A bit like when indie music came out and got cool by having an attitude of 'we don't care if we're popular'

• edited February 2023

@ervin said:

Because everyone clone Mr Beast. Mr Beast tried a million things so he knows what works and what doesnt works. A lot of people do what Mr Beast does.

FWIW, I made a deal with myself to ban each channel that use theses tactics or clickbait, no matter how much I like them.