Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

app/technique that makes an unrecognizable clipping mangle?

as stated in the title :)

looking for ways to get some sounds processed into an almost mangled/clipping/static sounding/white noise mess. not so much just heavy distortion or insane delay but some far-out (and possibly controlled) clipping.

right now im using multiple layers of bleass saturation with intense LFO’s and getting wonderful results! but im almost overusing this sound and was wondering what other people may be doing to get their clicks and clacks and spazzy mangled sounds.

thanks and much love to the audiobus community!

Comments

• Gonna tag @iOSTRAKON, since this seems like his kind of thing

• apeSoft Sparkle performs spectral hybridization that is unnatural.

• Yep, tagging @iOSTRAKON for this too. ;) He's the god of sonic chaøs and distortion! (This is one of the guys from Skinny Puppy ffs, so you best believe this man has loads of experience with distortion and chaøs!)

Anyways, in addition to the already excellent apps mentioned above, check out...

-Grind Distortion https://apps.apple.com/us/app/grind-distortion/id1249816007

-FAC Bandit https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fac-bandit/id1458633968

And I'm going to mess around with these free apps in my next piece of Ambient:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chowcentaur/id1547671733
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/byod/id1595313287

By the same god-tier developer who made ChowTapeModel.

• Thanks guys but I’m very random with my creations. I’ve learned things over the years but I don’t really think about the end result. Mostly due to layering on top of layering and FX after FX

• Drambo gives me an infinite toolbox of sound mangling devices to get sounds that are far beyond typical distortion.
    Here, I'm using an arbitrary distortion curve (like in wavetable distortion pedals) plus frequency and noise modulation.
    It sounds really bad, makes the original signal virtually unrecognizable 😂

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Thanks guys but I’m very random with my creations. I’ve learned things over the years but I don’t really think about the end result. Mostly due to layering on top of layering and FX after FX

I'm the same way when I create live Ambient to be honest. I think about what sonic elements I want in the piece and set things up, but then I just dive right in and see where the PaulXStretched winds fly me. :lol: Sometimes I'm unsatisfied with the first, second, and third take, because my mind thinks "What if I add this plugin to create some sonic variety?"

EDM is a little different. I load a default piano sound and lay out chords and a melody. Then I think for a second what genre I want it to be in, or what instrumentation and arrangement I want. Then I program what I hear in my mind's ears.

Getting sidetracked here. What are your favourite distortion plugins mate? :) This might be able to help the OP build up their toolbox.

@rs2000 said:
    Drambo gives me an infinite toolbox of sound mangling devices to get sounds that are far beyond typical distortion.

Lol! Drambo is the solution for everything! "I need something to mangle sound with." Drambo. "I need a modular environment." Drambo. "I need marriage counseling, because my wife doesn't understand me and my music hobby." Get a divorce and marry Drambo. :trollface:

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Lol! Drambo is the solution for everything! "I need something to mangle sound with." Drambo. "I need a modular environment." Drambo. "I need marriage counseling, because my wife doesn't understand me and my music hobby." Get a divorce and marry Drambo. :trollface:

Drambo is not doing what I want!
    Just host Drambo inside Drambo and it all works out in the end

• wimwim
    edited August 2022

Frekvens can do some seriously weird and different mangling.

• That reminds me, I once bought BLEASS Motion FX and never used it

• @wim said:
    Frekvens can do some seriously weird and different mangling.

And on that note... I dig Nils for some nastiness too
    https://apps.apple.com/app/nils/id579955189

• @rs2000 said:
    Drambo gives me an infinite toolbox of sound mangling devices to get sounds that are far beyond typical distortion.
    Here, I'm using an arbitrary distortion curve (like in wavetable distortion pedals) plus frequency and noise modulation.

Even looking at that it sounds bonkers.
    If I wasn't running signals out into distortion pedals
    I'd put that together just find out what it sounds like for real. 😂

• @Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

Both ways could have their own charm.
    Here you are brother.
    Load Drambo as an AUv3 effect and open the project. Or save the rack for use in D projects.
    https://patchstorage.com/distortion-madness/

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

Both ways could have their own charm.
    Here you are brother.
    Load Drambo as an AUv3 effect and open the project. Or save the rack for use in D projects.
    https://patchstorage.com/distortion-madness/

Here we go brother a quick play.

• Have a look at this one maybe?

• I find Grind allows you to dial in pretty much any amount of distortion is as controlled or as wild a way as you want. Sounds a lot better to me than some of the other options.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/grind-distortion/id1249816007

• edited August 2022

https://patchstorage.com/shards/

Looperator, Effectfrix, Flytape 2, Gauss, Saturn 2, Volcano 3, Yellofier, Samplr, Scatterbrain, Replicant 2, Flux Pro, Nurack, Rhino, Mammoth, Tonestack Pro, MixBox, and waverails. Like stated previously, could def accomplish in Drambo/Audulus/miRack and probably Mozaic too.

Oh, and SoundSaw! And Sunvox!

BYOD has a bunch of drive and tone modules. I would maybe start there because it’s free. Can load custom IRS too

• There’s a $2 Guitar Pedal app called Warm Distortion that is excellent for playing Dialing for Trash. The dev has a series of pedals and they are pretty good for what they are designed to do.

Any guitar sim will have distortion pedals that can also generate run away clipping.

• @Gravitas
    That's some sexy stuff
    Gotta get that patch
    Thanks for creating it @rs2000

• CrushStation

• Here is Loopy Pro whose clips are being randomly rearranged and resampled. Each resampling is from a random spot in the loop. The output is run through BandDelay, Real Delayrium, Blackhole and FD-1

• Take a look at Yonac’s Roxsyn Guitar Synthesizer
    and completely disregard the Guitar part of the name. Use it as an fx app to mangle your sounds.
    Fantastic.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Here is Loopy Pro whose clips are being randomly rearranged and resampled. Each resampling is from a random spot in the loop. The output is run through BandDelay, Real Delayrium, Blackhole and FD-1

That's wild.

• @Gravitas said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Here is Loopy Pro whose clips are being randomly rearranged and resampled. Each resampling is from a random spot in the loop. The output is run through BandDelay, Real Delayrium, Blackhole and FD-1

p

That's wild.

And the results are radically different with different sources. If you put drum loops of the same length in and tempo and use no effects, you can find some interesting new grooves.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:

@espiegel123 said:

p

That's wild.

And the results are radically different with different sources. If you put drum loops of the same length in and tempo and use no effects, you can find some interesting new grooves.

Very interesting.

• @Gravitas : quickie...it would be more interesting with different loops...also playing with the stepbud notes to control the degree of randomness. the blue loops are set up for retrospective recording. so after i hear a phrase that works, i can tap the loop and it will capture the last complete 2 bar cycle.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Gravitas : quickie...it would be more interesting with different loops...also playing with the stepbud notes to control the degree of randomness. the blue loops are set up for retrospective recording. so after i hear a phrase that works, i can tap the loop and it will capture the last complete 2 bar cycle.

Nicely done.

• @Gravitas : to finish the series, here is that same project without stepbud running. I am tapping the loops to trigger them (normally would use my Launchpad, though)

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Gravitas : to finish the series, here is that same project without stepbud running. I am tapping the loops to trigger them (normally would use my Launchpad, though)

What are the settings for Loop playback?

Are they set for one shots?