Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nothing but pure... Pure Piano

This is only e-instruments Pure Piano... and Piano Motifs. I created 48 short motifs and arranged them in Cubasis into 4 tracks of Pure Piano using the 'Cinematic' preset. I would have used more tracks, but it wouldn't let me. There are no other external effects, i.e. EQ, Channel Strip, Reverb, or Compression. It could probably be better, but it is what it is.

Comments

• So many good moments in this. 1:08 to 1:23 is my favorite one.
    Piano Motifs is such an amazing app and hearing how it can sound in your hands is such a treat. I also like how you kept it simple. The piano all on its own just sounds right for this.

• DavDav
    edited July 2022

Nice generated patterns. I think also my favorite is between 1:08 and 1:23. This convinced me to spend the last of my itunes gift card on piano motifs. Had just enough left to get the midi out iap. Should be a lot of fun to play with. Pure piano is smooth.

• I like the title.
    Got me into your recording.
    The piano is very well done. relaxing and calming.
    Thanks.
    Rene

• Very nice piece, like it a lot !

• I like piano music so much that I wish I had more fingers or hands.

It’s your ears that makes your music so special… all the bad parts get removed.

I wish I could rummage through your trash for almost great ideas.

• @Paulieworld,
    Great to listen to this carefully crafted arrangement of motifs generated by Piano Motifs. The selection of motifs for continuity and consistent musicality is great. Very nice piece.

• @azul3D_Apps it must be cool to hear some ideas you programmed show up in a finished work… like the farmer that grew the tomatoes tasting the marinara.

• @McD said:
    @azul3D_Apps it must be cool to hear some ideas you programmed show up in a finished work… like the farmer that grew the tomatoes tasting the marinara.

😀, indeed @McD, extremely rewarding and gratifying. Especially to see such a talented and creative group of musicians using the tool in some times unexpected ways.

• @MadeofWax said:
    So many good moments in this. 1:08 to 1:23 is my favorite one.
    Piano Motifs is such an amazing app and hearing how it can sound in your hands is such a treat. I also like how you kept it simple. The piano all on its own just sounds right for this.

Thanks Mac! Gene Simmons got it right. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). Thanks for listening!

• @Dav said:
    Nice generated patterns. I think also my favorite is between 1:08 and 1:23. This convinced me to spend the last of my itunes gift card on piano motifs. Had just enough left to get the midi out iap. Should be a lot of fun to play with. Pure piano is smooth.

Thanks Dave. I think you will really like Piano Motifs. You are a brilliant composer and arranger. I am looking forward to hearing what you come up with. Thanks for listening!

• @JanKun said:
    Very nice piece, like it a lot !

Thank you! Everybody like a nice piece!

• @McD said:
    I like piano music so much that I wish I had more fingers or hands.

Me too!

It’s your ears that makes your music so special… all the bad parts get removed.

Yeah, a bunch went into the trash.

I wish I could rummage through your trash for almost great ideas.

It's just trash. I'll make more!

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    @Paulieworld,
    Great to listen to this carefully crafted arrangement of motifs generated by Piano Motifs. The selection of motifs for continuity and consistent musicality is great. Very nice piece.

Carefully crafted! Thank you, thank you! I am so glad somebody noticed! I spent too much time on this, but it was fun. Your comment is greatly appreciated!

• @azul3D_Apps said:

@McD said:
    @azul3D_Apps it must be cool to hear some ideas you programmed show up in a finished work… like the farmer that grew the tomatoes tasting the marinara.

😀, indeed @McD, extremely rewarding and gratifying. Especially to see such a talented and creative group of musicians using the tool in some times unexpected ways.

My wife makes a killer Marinara sauce! We definitely have some seriously talented cats here on the forum. The goal of this was to try to create an 'improvised' sound like Mike @LinearLineman . I wanna be like Mike. I let this go for a day and revisited it this afternoon. Honestly, I think it's a bit naive, mechanical and contrived. I think I need to use shorter motifs and some swing quantization. The next one will be better!

• Lovingly whimsical

• edited August 2022

I would really like to see some dynamics built into these, often good, phrases. I guess you could midi edit the volumes note by note. You do add some highs and lows with your excellent mixing, but, as good as this app is, because of the lack of dynamics, it becomes more artificial than need be. Just my opinion.

Still, Paul, a very nice track and good application.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Lovingly whimsical

Thanks Baubie! That is a beautiful comment!

• @LinearLineman said:
    I would really like to see some dynamics built into these, often good, phrases. I guess you could midi edit the volumes note by note. You do add some highs and lows with your excellent mixing, but, as good as this app is, because of the lack of dynamics, it becomes more artificial than need be. Just my opinion.

Still, Paul, a very nice track and good application.

I most definitely agree. The intent was to see what I could do with off-the shelf Pure Piano. It does not generate virtuoso Glen Gould masterpieces, but it's very good at what it does. I was trying to simulate an improvisation, sort of like what you do. If I do another one of these, I have several ideas to make it better. Shorter motifs, more piano roll editing, more velocity dynamics, swing quantization, etc. etc. etc. It was fun. Thanks for weighing in!

• This is gross! I love it!!!

• @baconink said:
    This is gross! I love it!!!

Yeah, man. You get it!!!

• Excellent @Paulieworld . I think @McD suggested that you ‘curate’ Piano Motifs i.e. pick the best, move them around, discard the bad ones etc. I liked from about 3 mins onwards as well as the 1:08 bit but the whole think sounded like a cohesive piece.

• edited August 2022

@GeoTony This was my first attempt at something like this. If I do another, I think I can do a lot better. I'm getting a feel as to how Piano Motifs works. If all motifs are single loops in the same key and scale, they usually sound acceptable. It gets more 'interesting' when you mix various keys and scales. This approach is similar to what I mentioned in your Nancarrow post. By the way, I had never heard of him before so I did a search and watched a great piece about him and his approach to composition. I also watched a video of 2 pianists playing one of his compositions. He actually scored everything before he started. It wasn't random at all. Respect! Thanks for listening.

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    I like the title.
    Got me into your recording.
    The piano is very well done. relaxing and calming.
    Thanks.
    Rene

Hi Rene! I don't mean to bump this, but I just noticed that you mentioned the title.You probably already know that the full title is the well known expression "Walk By Faith, Not By Sight". One of the singers at my wife's church wrote a beautiful lyric and asked if I could do something with it. That version is much simpler and leaves more space for a singer, bass, and guitar. I got a bit carried away with this version.

I really like the look of your studio. It looks like a great place to relax and make music. Have a creative day!

• Cool Paulie, I should be getting into these music generating apps as well. The last time I started Piano Motifs up though, it was a totally different looking app than I had remembered, so I quickly closed it and thought “eh forget that idea!”

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Cool Paulie, I should be getting into these music generating apps as well. The last time I started Piano Motifs up though, it was a totally different looking app than I had remembered, so I quickly closed it and thought “eh forget that idea!”

I had the same experience when I saw the new look. I like it now since it puts the most important parameters on the first page. I wish I knew how the developer did this! I have used several apps that generate random notes in a given key/scale, but they are nowhere near as musical as Piano Motifs. Thanks for listening!