Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tempo experiment using Spider patch in Kaspar

Here is a kind of experiment for using the tempo changing function in AUM. I like how this adds another level of expression to musical phrases and keeps things from having a machine-like regularity. To make this I improvised chords playing one of @Spidericemidas’ great patches for Kaspar. These have interesting arp figures going on and I thought this would highlight tempos. I also recorded a kind of lead voice using Phosphor3. ( hey Spider, there’s some fertile ground for presets there) . I also used the new Mozaic script for changing the AUM tempos. I like that because it also has increment/decrement buttons that allow some subtle changes. It uses pitchbend control for changing the tempo. So I recorded that in Midi Tape Recorder to play along with my Helium recording.
One thing I found is that if you’re using any delays there can be some unpredictable artifacts when changing tempos but generally it works very smoothly.

Comments

• I love this and what a nice use of the tempo script. I was experimenting with a tempo linked sample looper (enso) when I was testing it... and didn't think to use arps, but love what you've done here.

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Cool.

@belldu said:
    I love this and what a nice use of the tempo script. I was experimenting with a tempo linked sample looper (enso) when I was testing it... and didn't think to use arps, but love what you've done here.

Thanks for listening!
    As I mentioned, @belldu, your Mozaic script helped a lot with my track. I've also tried playing around with sending CC values to AUM for the tempo change with varying results but I thought the script worked better for live playing because of those buttons. I've been getting good results varying the tempo on other midi generators as well. Thanks for your scripting skills.

• Excellent track @Stochastically , enjoyed the lead a lot, made me think of early Keith Emerson… + the temp changes really add interest. I’ve tried the tempo changes on a couple of tracks and agree that sending CC can be a bit problematic as some apps don’t like fractional BPM for example. The Tempo presets feature works pretty well if you want to change BPM to specific values. Also agree about the delay effect artefacts but sometimes they can be quite interesting in their own right.

• @GeoTony said:
    Excellent track @Stochastically , enjoyed the lead a lot, made me think of early Keith Emerson… + the temp changes really add interest. I’ve tried the tempo changes on a couple of tracks and agree that sending CC can be a bit problematic as some apps don’t like fractional BPM for example. The Tempo presets feature works pretty well if you want to change BPM to specific values. Also agree about the delay effect artefacts but sometimes they can be quite interesting in their own right.

Thanks for your comments! I thought that you might be interested in that tempo control and I'll be listening for how you might apply it in your stuff. Yeah, I wanted to try something more synthy. I generally gravitate to more "real" instrument sounds and samples but the Spider presets got me re-interested in the synth universe.