Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What a long strange trip it has been: Datura

edited July 2022 in Creations

Don’t try this at home, kids: Datura stramonium, a.k.a thorn apple, devil's snare, devil's trumpet… poisonous, deliriant hallucinogen, used in rituals the world over from Native American shamen to Ethiopian ‘debtrawoch’ (priests), by Buddhist ascetics to liberate themselves from samsara, the cycles of birth, misery, and death, or as the ‘flying ointment’ of broomstick riding European witches… (the origin of ‘night flying’ here likely owing more to the potential as a delivery system a broom handle provides for a hallucinogenic salve to the - more absorbent - tissues of a female practitioner than any actual aerial adventures). But it is an ‘ordeal hallucinogen’; bad dreams are guaranteed, actual death a distinct possibility…

This is a fifty/fifty between modular and iPad. It started as a long atmospheric thing on the hardware in my usual monkey-with-a-typewriter mode, then I recorded the patch live into AUM via my Zoom U-44, added ThumbJam Doom-Djembe and some Scaler-driven Atom loops based off the audio driving Model 15, BeatHawk and Factory. starryai.com has done it’s Lovecraft filter thing on an actual photo of an actual Datura, key words ‘poison devil flower.’

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ehehehe said:
    Not to be nitpicky, but datura isn't a hallucinogen - it's a deliriant 🙃. Which I find even more fitting to your track

Are we to understand you were under the influence while making? That would add a whole other level of coolness. Love the track.

• edited July 2022

@ehehehe : “ It has also been used as a hallucinogen (of the anticholinergic/antimuscarinic, deliriant type), taken entheogenically to cause intense, sacred or occult visions.Schultes, Richard Evans; Albert Hofmann (1979). Plants of the Gods: Origins of Hallucinogenic Use New York: McGraw-Hill.”

Deliriants are a class of hallucinogen. The term was coined in the early 1980s to distinguish these drugs from psychedelics and dissociatives such as LSD and ketamine, due to their primary effect of causing delirium, as opposed to the more lucid and less disturbed states produced by other types of hallucinogens [my emphasis].” - Duncan, D. F., and Gold, R. S. (1982). Drugs and the Whole Person. New York: John Wiley & Sons

So I guess we are both right :) Thanks for the heads up, and the listen!

@Gavinski : former cop here. Just high on life. Never knowingly partaken. :)

• Eerie and evocative. Well done. Can really see the progress in your work. Never would has considered you have a law enforcement background. We’re all odd amalgams, are we not?

• @Svetlovska said:
    @ehehehe : “ It has also been used as a hallucinogen (of the anticholinergic/antimuscarinic, deliriant type), taken entheogenically to cause intense, sacred or occult visions.Schultes, Richard Evans; Albert Hofmann (1979). Plants of the Gods: Origins of Hallucinogenic Use New York: McGraw-Hill.”

“Deliriants are a class of hallucinogen. The term was coined in the early 1980s to distinguish these drugs from psychedelics and dissociatives such as LSD and ketamine, due to their primary effect of causing delirium, as opposed to the more lucid and less disturbed states produced by other types of hallucinogens [my emphasis].” - Duncan, D. F., and Gold, R. S. (1982). Drugs and the Whole Person. New York: John Wiley & Sons

So I guess we are both right :) Thanks for the heads up, and the listen!

@Gavinski : former cop here. Just high on life. Never knowingly partaken. :)

I call bullshit on that. And if it is true, I'd emphasise the 'former' part of that phrase 😁

• I'm not calling bullshit on the cop part btw. Only the never having partaken part 😉

• edited July 2022

@LinearLineman : thank you! It means a lot coming from an actual musician of your skills. And, yes, ain’t that the truth.

@Gavinski : it was just your typical transgender music tech journalist/Met Police career progression with a side hustle toward the end as a Rogerian therapist. Routine, really :)

Spent most of my time investigating Domestic Violence and working in Child Protection, my last decade as a DS in Professional Standards investigating crooked cops and working out ways for the organisation to learn from its mistakes. (Like undertaking, business was always good.) Like to think I was on the side of the angels.

We all contain multitudes, no?

And seriously - never ever took a drug which wasn’t legal, even before joining the Job. I generally found life exciting enough as it was, what with one thing and another… besides, I got to see where some of that stuff had come from, what - or who - it had been hidden in, what went into it; and what some people would do to get it, or take it away from someone else who had it. It generally wasn’t pretty :)

• it was just your typical transgender music tech journalist/Met Police career progression with a side hustle toward the end as a Rogerian therapist. Routine, really :)

Class switcheroo! Just keep on being you, I'll have to look up Rogerian therapy but if you're cheap I might hit you up 😂

• edited July 2022

A.k.a Person-Centered counselling: the fluffy non directive sort, not the Freudian ‘but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar’ or the CBT/NLP ‘press these psychic buttons to fix you’ sort. I tended towards integrative, existential approaches, aka ‘the gloomy end of Person Centered’ because, obviously, I would, wouldn’t I? :) ( tl:dr - most of our problems are about the challenge of making meaning in the full awareness of our inevitable death - see? Cheery! Don’t you feel better now?)

I don’t practice any more, too busy messing with making music and writing stories and playing board games and all the other cool toys retirement, that antechamber to the inevitable, makes possible as a kind of consolation prize for seeing the end of the road hove into view. But it was a lot of fun while I did it, and was the sharp, practical and actually helpful end of all the PoMo theory stuff I was into, as a trans therapist offering counselling to (primarily) LGBTQ+ clients.

P.S: I’m never cheap! (though in fact most of my clients were pro bono via a local charity. Can I have a halo now? ;) )

• Damn.... As an iOS Music YouTuber I can only afford cheap. I guess I'll have to use your songs as therapy 😉

• Yeah, You probably don’t want to do that… You have heard my stuff, right? :)

• So now I have wasted five minutes combing Thumbjam for that Doom Djembe.

Nice track tho.

• just in case anyone here is now thinking about using datura, DONT. it is an extremely potent, extremely dangerous, potentially even lethal, absolutely bonkers drug.

It is a beautiful plant tho, and in the right hands can be powerful. Just dont.

also, weird note, this is the THIRD time today i have come across datura in public forums. so strange.

• edited July 2022

@shinyisshiny : fair point, well made. I kind of assumed everyone is an adult here, would have noticed that I literally described it as poisonous in the first sentence, and that the very least it promises is a horrible nightmarish experience, if not actual death, but, yeah, in the spirit of Mike Reid on Top Of The Pops warning people not to play electric guitars under water whilst introducing video of a band doing just that, it doesn’t hurt to reinforce the message, I guess. I am not a doctor, but I endorse this important public safety message.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    So now I have wasted five minutes combing Thumbjam for that Doom Djembe.

Nice track tho.

:) Thank you! all my drums are Doom Drums. Coz, y’know: Dark Ambient.

• @Svetlovska hehe, you can never be too safe with these things. I used datura once when i was a teenager, extremely unpleasant to say the least. although,, I would probably do it again,😁 with someone who is trained in the art of the plant and knows the spirit well. also, cool track! very datura lol.

• Haunting. Creepy. Intense. Like some malevolent creature lurking in shadow. You’ve created a very dark nightmare’s soundtrack. Impressive.

• In Swedish this plant is called Spikklubba (Spik = Nail / Klubba = Club). A neighbour is growing a few on his balcony right now, beautiful plant it is. It's also grows wild up here but is, rare.
    Love the song, as almost always :)

• There’s a distinct haxan vibe going on here. Love it!

• edited July 2022

@MadeofWax : thank you. Lurking in shadows is very much my thing :)

@Pxlhg ’nail club’ huh? Fantastic! I can see that from the original photo I used. Ditto ‘thorn apple’. Though I think a nail studded club seems more appropriate giving it’s dangerous properties…

@sevenape : ah, Haxan. As is the original witchcraft movie, I take it? A century old (!) and still a fascinating artefact:

• @sevenape : ah, Haxan. As is the original witchcraft movie, I take it? A century old (!) and still a fascinating artefact:

Yes that! and also just 'Witchy'!

• Well, if witchy things are your thing, you might like this:

Apparently the secret sauce in the fabulous score for this slightly twisted slice of vintage folk horror was composer Mark Wilkinson’s use of the ‘devil’s interval’

All I know is that it sounds, er, ‘cool’…

• Dark, inspiring, unique. Glad I worked up the courage to listen.

• @Svetlovska said:
    Well, if witchy things are your thing, you might like this:

Apparently the secret sauce in the fabulous score for this slightly twisted slice of vintage folk horror was composer Mark Wilkinson’s use of the ‘devil’s interval’

All I know is that it sounds, er, ‘cool’…

HA! Awesome! Gotta love a bit of folk horror!

This is an awesome (over 3 hours long) Folk horror documentary.

• edited July 2022

Oh! I’m definitely watching that tonight. Thanks for the heads up. :)

and @myapologies : thank you, for the listen, and the comment :) All my stuff is unique, I can unequivocally state. Not because it’s great, (though there’s that too, obvs… ;) ), but because I could never produce the same thing twice. If I didn’t record it as it happens, it’d be gone for good.

This is the blessing/curse of never writing a proper song (because I can’t) and relying more or less totally on random as my lodestar… One thing is for sure. For multiple reasons, I’ll never be touring my greatest hits…

• Cool track! I never tried Datura but Nutmeg was rather nice.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @sevenape said:

@sevenape : ah, Haxan. As is the original witchcraft movie, I take it? A century old (!) and still a fascinating artefact:

Yes that! and also just 'Witchy'!

Oh, I think i know what I'm gonna watch now!

• @ehehehe said:
    Its more a deliriant than any classic psychedelic in effects, chemistry and mechanism of action atleast. Wouldn't want anyone to mix those expectations up 😅. Cool track anyways!

Another thumb up for the track... (independent from the plant‘s background)
    It‘s great how you keep subtle things going to capture the listener during 8 minutes :+1:

That sentence by @ehehehe is crucial (in case curiosity strikes...)
    While psychedelic „drug effects“ happen with at least some self-awareness (you usually know you’re influenced by whatever), that may completely fail with such deliriants.
    It’s not so much self-poisoning, but false reactions in every day life situations, like traffic, height, rivers, etc that makes it dangerous. Ratio really doesn‘t exist anymore.
    I have some bizarre memories of a belladonna (gone bad) experience in my youth. o:)

• Quite suspenseful and dark.
    Actually, I am feeling a sensation of fear.
    Well done.