Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

There can only be one

at this moment in time.

I would like one CV capable synth/oscillator and
the choice is between the Korg NTS-1 or the Moog Werkstatt.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• edited July 2022

With what I know today I'd pick Moog Wekstatt or Moog Mavis over the NTS-1...
    ...it can be pretty 'noisy' (USB-Noise and RF-Interference) and I really wish it was an 'AUv3 App' instead.

• I have an NTS-1. Bearing in mind you can download other oscillators and fx for it, it is potentially much more versatile. But the Werkstatt and Mavis sound - like a Moog!

• NTS-1 doesn’t have CV, apart from sync. I have one and haven’t used it much, but just checked the connections. It has MIDI (USB and 5-pin via an adapter that comes with it). Amazing little unit, but if you want something CV capable, it probably isn’t it.

The Werkstatt has basically been superseded by the Mavis, and from a couple of things I’ve seen on YouTube (can’t remember precisely which as I’ve watched a bunch), seems to be better all round. One major difference is that it has a proper patch bay, whereas the Werkstatt has a kind of add-on board for the CV connections that looks a bit flimsy (I could be wrong, mind). Mavis looks a bit more robust, and you get the wave folder.

Disclaimer: I’m seriously getting to the brink of buying a Mavis, so my opinions may be skewed.

• @bygjohn said:
    NTS-1 doesn’t have CV, apart from sync. I have one and haven’t used it much, but just checked the connections. It has MIDI (USB and 5-pin via an adapter that comes with it). Amazing little unit, but if you want something CV capable, it probably isn’t it.

If I remember correctly one of the mods for the NTS-1 can give CV inputs.
    It's one of the DIY thingies.

The Werkstatt has basically been superseded by the Mavis, and from a couple of things I’ve seen on YouTube (can’t remember precisely which as I’ve watched a bunch), seems to be better all round. One major difference is that it has a proper patch bay, whereas the Werkstatt has a kind of add-on board for the CV connections that looks a bit flimsy (I could be wrong, mind). Mavis looks a bit more robust, and you get the wave folder.

I saw the Mavis and quite liked it but for my purposes I would like something
    that I could eventually mod and I need to practice with "real" CV hence looking
    at the Werkstatt.

Disclaimer: I’m seriously getting to the brink of buying a Mavis, so my opinions may be skewed.

No worries, I know the feeling very well.
    My sympathies there. ;)

• @Samu said:
    ...it can be pretty 'noisy' (USB-Noise and RF-Interference) and I really wish it was an 'AUv3 App' instead.

What are the effects like on the NTS-1 because I can adjust for the noise.
    Yeah,...it does like it could be a very cool Auv3 for sure.

• What about the Kastle?

• I'd pick Mavis as well.

• @Sawiton said:
    What about the Kastle?

I was tempted but the offerings I heard sounded thin.
    I would get the Kastle more as a learning tool than
    something I could potentially perform with.

The Werkstatt caught my eye because of it's CV expander
    but it only has one oscillator, granted it is a Moog oscillator and
    analogue synth heads swear by the sound of the Moog oscillators
    and to get external audio into the VCF requires a mod to separate
    the VCO from the VCF.

The NTS-1 on the other hand has external stereo inputs
    albeit on a 3.5mm stereo Jack, which is the same as it's outputs,
    and to get the NTFS-1 to filter external audio requires
    third party code.
    It apparently has quite good effects, a multitude of oscillator types
    due to it's compatibility with the Prologue and Minilogue XD.
    The other thing is to get CV inputs into the NTS-1 requires
    getting the components, printing out a PCB and a case top
    and programming an Ardunio which is a mammoth project in itself
    though challenging.

• @Gravitas Have you considered any of the lower cost Behringers?
    Like a K-2, a Pro-1, a Neutron or a Model D for example?

• A second hand Neutron is massive bang for buck. (I’ve got one, probably the best cheap synth Behringer has produced to date.)

• @rs2000 @Svetlovska
    I did consider them but they don't seem attractive to me at this moment in time.

Basically I'm looking for things to add to sounds rather the synths themselves.
    The Werkstatt because of the Moog oscillator and filter and
    the NTS-1 for it's stereo effects in a small package.
    I've also been looking at the Zoom MS-70CDR.
    Last night whilst deliberating I thought to hook a couple of my
    distortion pedals up to the external audio interface and sent signals out
    to the pedals and then routed the signals back in and suddenly the kick drum
    had this grit to the sound so after that I maybe going in another direction as I
    have plenty of oscillators available.

• @Gravitas said:

If you stick the the default effects on the NTS-1 they use the same algorithms as those found in Gadget's IFX effects.
    Gadgets FB Rvb uses the same algorithms as the NTS-1 but the 'Horror' is missing on the NTS-1.

There's some nice free 3rd party effects for the NTS-1 but adjusting/correcting the the buzzing RF & USB-Noise can get tricky.
    It can somewhat reduced by using those ferrite lumps on the audio-cable and providing all USB-Power from the same source.

This (CHIPS 2.0) is my ABSOLUTE favorite NTS-1 custom oscillator...

...it's at a point where I'm still drooling of the Monologue XD :sunglasses:

And yes, it would be a totally awesome AUv3 with plenty of polyphony to boot :sunglasses:

• @Gravitas said:

@Samu said:

Yeah,...it does like it could be a very cool Auv3 for sure.

The effects are great, but @Samu is right about the noise. One of the reasons I haven’t used it much is that the noise is a pain in the situpon. Using an audio cable with an earth loop breaker improves it, but doesn’t totally eliminate it. I should probably get back on its case and do a bit more troubleshooting.

• @Gravitas Here's a good 'Bad Gear' review of the NTS-1 the highlights some of the issues...

• Have you considered a DIY norns or the app Covariant?

• @audiblevideo said:
    Have you considered a DIY norns

I hadn't heard of Monome Norns until now.
    After reading blurb, the apps that I already have
    on my iPad cover most of what that offers.

or the app Covariant?

I'm using dRambo and MiRack for all of my Midi to CV needs.

• Hi Gravits, it’s not what you asked but what about Bastl Softpop2 - wild euro rack patch bay, audio and midi in - I think it’s a great cv controllable route for adding texture/glitch to existing sounds - saying that mines still on order!

• @danimal

That’s a nice suggestion.
    I’ll look into it.

One another note does anyone know how to replace a potentiometer for a CV input?

• @Gravitas said:
    @danimal

I’ll look into it.

One another note does anyone know how to replace a potentiometer for a CV input?

Not that simple, but vactrols (a light sensitive resistor coupled to a LED in a sealed container) or a clever arrangement of transistors are two common ways from what I’ve gathered…

• @Krupa said:

@Gravitas said:
    @danimal

I’ll look into it.

Not that simple, but vactrols (a light sensitive resistor coupled to a LED in a sealed container) or a clever arrangement of transistors are two common ways from what I’ve gathered…

I’ve come across threads that mentioned vactrols
    or transistors and agreed it isn’t that straightforward.
    I think I’m going to need to talk to an electrical engineer for that one
    because I’m thinking to mod a couple of distortion pedals for CV input.

• @Gravitas said:

@Krupa said:

@Gravitas said:
    @danimal

I’ll look into it.

Sounds like you’ve got fun in mind there. I’d be less troubled about modding a distortion pedal in that way than a synth - much less to damage and not as complex a circuit to break for the most part - keep us informed!

• @Krupa said:

@Gravitas said:

@Krupa said:

@Gravitas said:
    @danimal

I’ll look into it.

Sounds like you’ve got fun in mind there. I’d be less troubled about modding a distortion pedal in that way than a synth - much less to damage and not as complex a circuit to break for the most part - keep us informed!

I’ve already routed signals out to my current distortion pedals and back and corrected for latency.
    I’ve got a couple more distortion pedals turning up in the next couple of days
    in the meanwhile I’m going to find out how difficult it is to replace the potentiometers.
    It’s sounding promising for sure.

• edited July 2022

As @Krupa suggested, Vactrols are fairly straightforward to use, although there are a few pitfalls like resistance range, nonlinearity and aging.

A fairly useful rundown on them:
    http://denethor.wlu.ca/pc300/optoisolators/analogoptoisolatorintroduction.pdf

• @rs2000 said:
    As @Krupa suggested, Vactrols are fairly straightforward to use, although there are a few pitfalls like resistance range, nonlinearity and aging.

I came across this whilst searching.

https://store.synthrotek.com/Vac_Pak_PCB

• @Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

Looks good. Not sure if it will run on 5V though. Might not work with a USB power bank.
    If you're going to try it, make sure you choose the right vactrol!

It would be a good idea to measure the min and max resistance values of the pots on your pedals and compare them with what the different Vactrols can do.

• @Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

That looks like maybe a more foolproof/controlled way of doing it. Might be a bit more involved than just bodging a vactrol in, but I’m guessing it’ll have protection of some sort both for the CV side of it, and the synth/controlled bit… I think that’s just the PCB they’re selling though as they lost a bill of materials suggesting that you’ll need to source the components separately - vactrols aren’t the cheapest either, probably another fiver or so…

• Yeah plus what @rs2000 says 😁

• @Krupa said:

@Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

That looks like maybe a more foolproof/controlled way of doing it.

That's what I thought as well.

Might be a bit more involved than just bodging a vactrol in, but I’m guessing it’ll have protection of some sort both for the CV side of it, and the synth/controlled bit… I think that’s just the PCB they’re selling though as they lost a bill of materials suggesting that you’ll need to source the components separately - vactrols aren’t the cheapest either, probably another fiver or so…

They offer a complete kit which doesn't seem to expensive at all.

https://store.synthrotek.com/Vac_Pak_Kit

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

Looks good. Not sure if it will run on 5V though. Might not work with a USB power bank.
    If you're going to try it, make sure you choose the right vactrol!

The instructions mentioned that the circuit is designed to accept 6-18v DC.

It would be a good idea to measure the min and max resistance values of the pots on your pedals and compare them with what the different Vactrols can do.

Good suggestions.

• @Gravitas @Krupa Had a look at the schematic and it looks like easily capable of producing LED currents far above the Vactrol spec so I'd say there's no protection.
    I'd probably run the whole circuit at 5 Volts and increase R2 to at least 82 Ohms. More hacks might be necessary.