Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sitala (drum sampler) coming to iOS / iPadOS, looking for feedback

Comments

• edited June 2022

@scotchi said:
    Currently our rating is being dragged down by a user who gave it a one star review for not having the ability to copy and paste pads... which Sitala can actually do.

It wasn't me! I haven't gotten it yet but when I do I expect to leave a good review.
    Actually I don't think I leave bad reviews, constructive criticism maybe, but not whining

• edited June 2022

@shazbot said:

@scotchi said:
    Currently our rating is being dragged down by a user who gave it a one star review for not having the ability to copy and paste pads... which Sitala can actually do.

It wasn't me! I haven't gotten it yet but when I do I expect to leave a good review.
    Actually I don't think I leave bad reviews, constructive criticism maybe, but not whining

Heh, yeah, didn't mean that I thought it came from here. I wouldn't even get my panties in a bunch over someone leaving a non-glowing review who had actual issues with the app, but a one-star review (one of our first three -- quickly pulling down the average) lamenting the lack of a feature that the app actually has, well that stung.

• @scotchi @luzifer we appreciate you being here and nothing beats developers who are willing to engage with users in refining an app. Review submitted and really enjoying Sitala !

• @scotchi …. I tried to look everywhere and could not see an answer. How come some samples will show a blue line playing through it and other times it wont? Is there anyway we could have that on all samples? Its nice to see where the play head is when auditioning samples.

BTW. This app is freaking brilliant for an addicted sample gathering person like me. The ability to crawl through folders and build kits is fantastic!!!!!! Thank you!!!

• @scotchi said:
    I'll just go ahead and lob this into the discussion... @luzifer got this done today...

One request for the folks following along at home: if you bought Sitala this week, would you mind leaving us a review? Currently our rating is being dragged down by a user who gave it a one star review for not having the ability to copy and paste pads... which Sitala can actually do.

Done

• @onerez said:
    @scotchi …. I tried to look everywhere and could not see an answer. How come some samples will show a blue line playing through it and other times it wont? Is there anyway we could have that on all samples? Its nice to see where the play head is when auditioning samples.

When there are multiple slices, Sitala shows which slice is being played. Honestly, I don't remember exactly why we made things that way, but I can bring it up at our meeting this week.

• Re the app store ratings, I think they might be country dependant... I went and had a look and all I could see was a 5 star rating, and there was only 1. I left another one anyway...

• @scotchi said:

@onerez said:
    @scotchi …. I tried to look everywhere and could not see an answer. How come some samples will show a blue line playing through it and other times it wont? Is there anyway we could have that on all samples? Its nice to see where the play head is when auditioning samples.

When there are multiple slices, Sitala shows which slice is being played. Honestly, I don't remember exactly why we made things that way, but I can bring it up at our meeting this week.

@scotchi thanks!! I left 5 star for you. Another question is there a way to sort folders by date modified as well as name?

• @onerez said:
    @scotchi thanks!! I left 5 star for you. Another question is there a way to sort folders by date modified as well as name?

There's not at the moment, though that's a totally reasonable request, so I added it to our to-do list. I'm not sure which release it'll make it into since I had to kind of pump the brakes today and say that we just need to get the next damn release out the door rather than keeping on putting in "one more small thing", but we've got at least one more minor release planned (where we'll work in remote iCloud browsing) before we settle on what we're targeting for The Big Release after that (which will probably take a few months of work).

• @scotchi said:

@onerez said:

There's not at the moment, though that's a totally reasonable request, so I added it to our to-do list. I'm not sure which release it'll make it into since I had to kind of pump the brakes today and say that we just need to get the next damn release out the door rather than keeping on putting in "one more small thing", but we've got at least one more minor release planned (where we'll work in remote iCloud browsing) before we settle on what we're targeting for The Big Release after that (which will probably take a few months of work).

Thank you!!

• Sitala is the drum app I was longing for in terms of auditioning through folders while playback.
    When adjusting parameters the visual wafevorm changes real time, this is something I very much appreciate.
    Simple design, plain solid. Will be trying this out next week and leave 5 stars.

• @scotchi @luzifer Regarding the 'Dark Mode' in the just released Sitala.app.

It does not work when using the AUv3 inside AUM and Drambo needs to be 're-started' for the mode change to take effect.

In my very humble opinion it should be a 'user preference setting' (ie. 'Use System Setting', 'Use Dark Mode' or 'Use Light Mode') to keep things consistent.

Personally I prefer to keep my iOS devices 'In the Light' (Ie. no Dark Mode).

Other than that the update works as expected.
    Cheers!
    /Samuel

• @Samu said:
    @scotchi @luzifer Regarding the 'Dark Mode' in the just released Sitala.app.

It does not work when using the AUv3 inside AUM and Drambo needs to be 're-started' for the mode change to take effect.

In my very humble opinion it should be a 'user preference setting' (ie. 'Use System Setting', 'Use Dark Mode' or 'Use Light Mode') to keep things consistent.

Personally I prefer to keep my iOS devices 'In the Light' (Ie. no Dark Mode).

Other than that the update works as expected.
    Cheers!
    /Samuel

I’m a fan of dark mode myself. Easier on my eyes.

• My favorite thing about Sitala so far is recording drum loops, auto slicing them in Sitala and quickly transforming the sounds to my liking. It’s absolutely excellent for this. The simplistic parameters means you can get something cool going very quickly.

• Yeah, was just coming around here to mention the new release. The major new stuff added was:

• Drag and drop (from external apps)
    • Copy and paste (including raw audio)
    • Dark mode

There's obviously a bunch of stuff we still have on our to-do list, but we thought it better to go ahead and get this release out the door than to try to get All Of The Things into a single release.

• @scotchi said:

There's obviously a bunch of stuff we still have on our to-do list, but we thought it better to go ahead and get this release out the door than to try to get All Of The Things into a single release.

:sunglasses:

The dark mode works quite well if it's set prior to launching a host app.
    Changing between dark/light mode on the fly requires a restart of the host.

My guess is Sitala only checks for Dark/Light Mode during initial launch/load of the AUv3 as the 'switch' works perfectly in the stand-alone.

No biggie, just an observation.

Cheers!

• Do you know any AUv3 from the top of your head that react to dark/light mode switches on the fly?

@Samu said:

@scotchi said:

My guess is Sitala only checks for Dark/Light Mode during initial launch/load of the AUv3 as the 'switch' works perfectly in the stand-alone.

Cheers!

• New updates are awesome!

• @Samu said:

@scotchi said:

Cheers!

How do you change the light/dark mode?. Can’t find it…🫥

• edited July 2022

Do you know any AUv3 from the top of your head that react to dark/light mode switches on the fly?

@Samu said:

@scotchi said:

Cheers!

Baby Audio Crystalline.

• @tahiche said:

There's no setting for it in the app -- just follows the system setting.

• @scotchi said:

@tahiche said:

There's no setting for it in the app -- just follows the system setting.

Ok, thanks!. Personally I’d prefer it if it was a Sitala option.

I’ve been trying out the “slice to pads” function and it’s superb. So easy to do and it works great. While slicing some “real drum” loops I ended up with some very nice variations of kicks and snare hits. Makes me wish (again) that Sitala allowed for multi-sample, velocity and round-robin. It would make building dynamic and rich kits a breeze.
    In the meantime, I’m thinking that maybe a Mozaic script would help.

Take this kit made from slicing a loop, and rearranged so that kicks, snares and so on are in consecutive slots…

Say kick is mapped to C2 and you have 4 kicks.
    A Mozaic script could check for C2 note and trigger C2,C#2,D2 or D#2 (Corrected this, as it’d make a very messy kit and weird midi mapping)
    You’d map the 4 kicks to C2,C3,C4,C5, snares to D2,D3,D4,D5…
    A Mozaic script would check if note is C2 (kick).
    Then output C2,C3,C4 or C5 depending on the setting chosen. According to: input Velocity, round-robin or random.
    I don’t think it’d be hard to program, my biggest problem with Mozaic is writing/editing scripts on the screen with no keyboard. I find it daunting.

PD: Sitala’s ability to cycle through samples in a folder is unique and genius. Would it be possible to add a “preview/play” in the sample browser so you can listen to samples before actually loading?.

• @tahiche said:

Trying to understand things a little better:

Are there times where you want to have most of the iPad in "light" mode, but only Sitala in dark mode? Or are you having problems with it not switching when it should?

I ask since sometimes when people ask for configuration options, they're trying to work around a bug or something that's cumbersome in a user interface, and in those cases, we'd rather fix the root of the problem rather than just add more configurability. (As I'm sure everyone's figured by now -- we're pretty cautious on adding a bunch of configuration options.)

I’ve been trying out the “slice to pads” function and it’s superb. So easy to do and it works great. While slicing some “real drum” loops I ended up with some very nice variations of kicks and snare hits. Makes me wish (again) that Sitala allowed for multi-sample, velocity and round-robin. It would make building dynamic and rich kits a breeze.

It'll happen, we're just not quite sure when. We've got our next small release mostly planned out in terms of what it'll contain, but we're still debating what it is that we'll try to tackle after that. (And a lot of that depends on the feedback we get in the meantime.)

In the meantime, I’m thinking that maybe a Mozaic script would help.

I've done that with ChucK (my preferred music programming language, though it's mostly dead at this point) on the desktop.

PD: Sitala’s ability to cycle through samples in a folder is unique and genius. Would it be possible to add a “preview/play” in the sample browser so you can listen to samples before actually loading?.

Hmm, that's interesting -- we haven't thought / talked about that so far. My first reaction is that things might get tight on e.g. the iPhone, but I wonder if we could make it feel reasonable to overlay the play button on the icon, a la Finder on the mac.

• @scotchi said:

@tahiche said:

Trying to understand things a little better:

Are there times where you want to have most of the iPad in "light" mode, but only Sitala in dark mode? Or are you having problems with it not switching when it should?

Yes, iPad in light mode, Sitala dark. Is it stupid?. I like Sitala better in dark mode , but not the whole iPad. Plus I have it set to auto-change so Sitala was dark last night and light this morning.

It'll happen, we're just not quite sure when. We've got our next small release mostly planned out in terms of what it'll contain, but we're still debating what it is that we'll try to tackle after that. (And a lot of that depends on the feedback we get in the meantime.)

Come on people!. Feeeedbaaaack 🙏

Now that we’re here…. I can’t settle on an app to sequence Sitala. I own a bunch, like Octachron and Polybeat. They’re great sequencers but I’d really want to have pads to record in real time. So pads + sequencer, oh and drum sequencer, no piano roll, can’t stand piano roll for drums. The only option I can think of is Drambo (surprise). But I feel like it might be overkill to have a Drambo instance just for that. Any other apps where you can record in real time and then edit the sequence?.
    Just thought about this, and I could probably do the “DIY multiple sample” thing on Drambo and skip Mozaic, that would certainly make things easier and more portable. Won’t be easy, though. I’m a human being, unlike some Drambo geniuses in this forum 🙃.

• @tahiche said:

Yes, iPad in light mode, Sitala dark. Is it stupid?. I like Sitala better in dark mode , but not the whole iPad. Plus I have it set to auto-change so Sitala was dark last night and light this morning.

It's not stupid. The question behind my question was if it was the switching thing that you were hitting (i.e. doesn't change automatically when the rest of your iPad does), and I think we can fix that (that's why @luzifer asked if @Samu knew AUs that get it right), so if it was just a bug you were hitting, then we'd rather fix the bug than add a configuration option.

• @scotchi said:

>

It's not stupid. The question behind my question was if it was the switching thing that you were hitting (i.e. doesn't change automatically when the rest of your iPad does), and I think we can fix that (that's why @luzifer asked if @Samu knew AUs that get it right), so if it was just a bug you were hitting, then we'd rather fix the bug than add a configuration option.

Sadly I don't recall any plug-in that 'switches on the fly' but I still feel it should be up to the user to choose the default theme for the app and if multiple themes are available and to keep things consistent (since the iOS can be made to toggle between Light / Dark Mode depending on time of day) it only makes sense to override this and allow the user to pick any of the two modes as their preferred default. But that's just my opinion...

Both KQ Dixie and KQ Sampei the user can choose a 'Theme' and set it as standard for the app and AUv3.

So instead of fixating on the 'to be or not to be' for Dark Mode it's better to focus on a selectable themes, again strictly my personal opinion, it's after all your app :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• @scotchi It would be a awesome, if desktop received the dark mode update too. 🙏

• @auxmux said:
    @scotchi It would be a awesome, if desktop received the dark mode update too. 🙏

It will. We're going to be focused on the iOS version for the next few months, but we'll do a new desktop version a little later this year. The desktop and iOS versions use the same code, so stuff that comes to the iOS version will also make it into the desktop version.

• Cool, thanks! I'm using it now on desktop as well.

• @Samu said:

@scotchi said:

>

Sadly I don't recall any plug-in that 'switches on the fly' but I still feel it should be up to the user to choose the default theme for the app and if multiple themes are available and to keep things consistent (since the iOS can be made to toggle between Light / Dark Mode depending on time of day) it only makes sense to override this and allow the user to pick any of the two modes as their preferred default. But that's just my opinion...

Both KQ Dixie and KQ Sampei the user can choose a 'Theme' and set it as standard for the app and AUv3.

So instead of fixating on the 'to be or not to be' for Dark Mode it's better to focus on a selectable themes, again strictly my personal opinion, it's after all your app :sunglasses:

Cheers!

@Samu you might have missed my response but Baby Audio’s Crystalline does light/dark mode on the fly.