Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

getting launchpad MK2 (with iPad only) button lights to toggling between on/off to indicate

Hi all I like to use a novation launchpad MK2 combined with an Ipad as a simple stand alone midi controller (so no pc, no Ableton live , I am just a pianoplayer with a bit of synths from an iPad ;-)), to consecutively switch to next sessions in AUM (only for live gigs, so I can quickly load AUM sessions ). The midi part of that works! However I would like to set the lighting of the Novation buttons such that it starts with a fixed color (e.g. red) that stays on from the beginning , when turning it on, and then changes to another color (e.g. green) whenever I execute the shift to the next AUM session. Seems an easy way to keep track of where I am at in the set list in dark venues. There is a post on youtube aiming for the exact same thing, below. And, using AUM or Audiobus, whenever I make the launchpad as both the sending and receiving midi, indeed I am able to see lights shortly appear when I push the buttons. However, as opposed to the video, I am not able to keep the launchpad buttons staying illuminated. Probably something with toggling on/of settings in the launchpad? Anybody experienced in doing this, seemingly rather simple thing? cheers, thanks

Comments

• edited July 2022

Yep. Even made a dedicated video using the exact Launchpad MK2 controller.

Sorry, to answer your question...you'd have to either

1. Use an app like Superpad Lights, Remix Live (with the MIDI unlock), Ampify Launchpad, Djay Pro AI (with the unlock) or Grid Instrument to make it work with lights
    2. You could make a Mozaic or a Streambyter script to do this as well. MIDI Wrench does trigger lights when you play the keyboard, so that could potentially be a useful tool. Also, Novation's programmers manual is a great read.

Hope this helps.

#SEONN

• Thanks Seonn, will try that!

• If you’re gonna use a Launchpad on iOS, do yourself a favor and just upgrade to an X or either mk3.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    If you’re gonna use a Launchpad on iOS, do yourself a favor and just upgrade to an X or either mk3.

This as well. While my experiences with the Launchpad mk2 were great, seeing people like @Gravitas using the Launchpad Pro mk3 really showed that there are a lot more uses of the controller.

Video I'm referencing from Gravitas...

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    If you’re gonna use a Launchpad on iOS, do yourself a favor and just upgrade to an X or either mk3.

Agreed except for the Launchpad mki which with custom
    firmware turns it into a stand-alone 32 step sequencer
    and as the LP Pro mki is so cheap 2nd hand then
    it’s a bit of a no brainer if you would like a DAWless system.
    Here’s the link.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2020/07/thirtytwo-hack-launchpad-pro-mk1-into-a-powerful-32-track-sequencer.html

This as well. While my experiences with the Launchpad mk2 were great, seeing people like @Gravitas using the Launchpad Pro mk3 really showed that there are a lot more uses of the controller.

Video I'm referencing from Gravitas...

Thank you for the shout out.
    There’s more on the way.
    🙏🏾

• And I mustn’t forget that the new firmware update for the LP X brings
    an extra 4 custom modes which brings the total up to 8 custom modes now.

• Anyone know how to get the launchpad to stop acting like a keyboard with the new firmware update? I know it added keystrokes for custom layouts but now it takes over my onscreen keyboard when I plug it into my phone or iPad

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Anyone know how to get the launchpad to stop acting like a keyboard with the new firmware update? I know it added keystrokes for custom layouts but now it takes over my onscreen keyboard when I plug it into my phone or iPad

Have you tried switching to a custom layout that doesnt have keyboard mapping or notes mode?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    Anyone know how to get the launchpad to stop acting like a keyboard with the new firmware update? I know it added keystrokes for custom layouts but now it takes over my onscreen keyboard when I plug it into my phone or iPad

Have you tried switching to a custom layout that doesnt have keyboard mapping or notes mode?

I haven’t actually used any mappings that use the keystrokes, i think it just gets read as a keyboard with the new firmware since the option is there to use keystrokes. I have figured out how to swap keyboards on my iPad to get the virtual one to come up so it’s not an issue there anymore but still haven’t managed to on my iPhone yet. Im sure there’s just some setting in keyboards I have to mess with though

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

I haven’t actually used any mappings that use the keystrokes, i think it just gets read as a keyboard with the new firmware since the option is there to use keystrokes. I have figured out how to swap keyboards on my iPad to get the virtual one to come up so it’s not an issue there anymore but still haven’t managed to on my iPhone yet. Im sure there’s just some setting in keyboards I have to mess with though

What app are you using for the virtual keyboard?

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Holy crap! I guess I haven't used mine since updating the firmware. This is crazy

• edited July 2022

@Gravitas said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Oh I just mean the regular iOS keyboard that comes up. The launchpad is behaving like when you plug in a hardware keyboard and the onscreen keyboard disappears. But then I’m not able to input any text cos it’s thinking the launchpad is a hardware keyboard. There’s a bar that comes up on the bottom of the screen of my iPad that lets me switch to the onscreen one again but I haven’t found out how to do it on the phone yet. I guess if I can’t figure it out I’ll just use a usb keyboard or map out a keypad for a custom layout on my launchpad lol

@espiegel123 haha I know, it’s a bit of an annoying endeavor at the moment but I can work around it until I figure it out

• @Fingolfinzz said:

@Gravitas said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Fingolfinzz said:

Oh I just mean the regular iOS keyboard that comes up. The launchpad is behaving like when you plug in a hardware keyboard and the onscreen keyboard disappears. But then I’m not able to input any text cos it’s thinking the launchpad is a hardware keyboard. There’s a bar that comes up on the bottom of the screen of my iPad that lets me switch to the onscreen one again but I haven’t found out how to do it on the phone yet. I guess if I can’t figure it out I’ll just use a usb keyboard or map out a keypad for a custom layout on my launchpad lol

Oh….
    I’ve been getting the same issue and I was looking on all of the iOS specific forums.
    I’ve just unplugged my LP X and the widget is gone.
    Now that I have an answer, it’s all cool.

@espiegel123 haha I know, it’s a bit of an annoying endeavor at the moment but I can work around it until I figure it out

Agreed.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

Hi, I’m going to buy a launchpad for iOS. Can you explain why you recommend the X or mk3 over the older models? What functions are lacking on a mk2? (There’s a very cheap MK2 available for sale locally). Thanks