Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

JWM - Dissatisfied (Ambient)

A friend of mine named Kevin texted me a video of him listening to a song on one of his old tube radios. I became inspired to make something from this sample, so here is "Dissatisfied", live performed in AUM.

First, I took the video and extracted the audio via Koala Sampler, put the audio into PaulXStretch and stretched it to 12 minutes. I played the stretched audio in AUM's File Player and processed it through IMPULSation (using a sound from Freesound of something gross as my IR 😂), TB Dual VCF (both for the lowpass action and shaving off the low end), and TB Equalizer to soften the high end with a high shelf filter as it was too bright.

Next, I recorded a little E Mixolydian riff in Ivory Grand into Gauss and slowed that down (yep, there's a big surprise lol). I processed that through TB Dual VCF (lowpass action and shaving off the low end) and Bleass' Delay.

Then, I crafted a phat drone in Buttersynth, recorded that into Gauss, and slowed it down. I processed that through TV Dual VCF (this time for the lowpass filter only), TB Reverb for some space, and TB Equalizer to soften the high end with a high shelf filter.

Finally, I tried to use TB's Flowtones to create plucks, but I couldn't figure out how to initialise the synth since I don't usually bother with presets. That sucked. So I loaded Monolit instead, used Rozeta Particles to drive the notes in the key of E Mixolydian, recorded that into Gauss, and yes, slowed it down. I processed this through TB BitJuggler and TB Enhancer to brighten the sound a little, DualVCF for lowpass action and to shave off the low end, and Bleass' Delay.

All of these were routed to the master buss, where I processed the signal with Korvpressor, Baby Audio's Crystalline, and ChowTape.

Fun side note: during the last 3-4 minutes of the piece, I ordered supper through DoorDash on my iPhone in one hand and kept manipulating sound on my iPad Pro with the other hand. 😂

Cheers and enjoy!

Comments

• Bumping. Let's see some comments!

• Wow, what a process.
    The best of the whole thing is the "chow"!
    It took about 30 seconds before I heard the sound.
    Very interesting, reminded me of my times as a test cell operator non the Navy.
    Thank you.
    Rene

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Wow, what a process.
    The best of the whole thing is the "chow"!
    It took about 30 seconds before I heard the sound.
    Very interesting, reminded me of my times as a test cell operator non the Navy.
    Thank you.
    Rene

That's awesome! :) I totally love that it reminded you of your Navy days mate. Of course.

It's amazing that the man who made the best cover of a Bee Gee's song commented here. :) That made my night! Cheers!