Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM - assigning external knob to tempo - edit remove fractional increases...

Been messin' with this and I would like to be able to control the tempo from an external controller knob set to a CC.

Is it possible in AUM? (well I am guessing it is, I cannot figure how yet haha!)

Ok I found how to do this under the MIDI Control and Transport, however it increments in fractions - EG when I try to move from 120 to, say, 121 it scans thought a lot of . steps (120.1, 120.5, 120.76 etc) and even when I get to the tempo it is very difficult to get it rounded out.

Comments

• @pax-eterna said:
    Been messin' with this and I would like to be able to control the tempo from an external controller knob set to a CC.

Is it possible in AUM? (well I am guessing it is, I cannot figure how yet haha!)

Look in midi control.

• edited July 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

Thanks - I edited OP...probably as you were writing

• @pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

You will have to adjust the range mapping. There was a thread not long ago diving into it. Short version: midi cc’s have 128 values (the integers from 0 to 127. So you need to set the midicontrol settings so that the tempo range is a multiple or fraction of 128. For example, edit the ranges to be 60 to 188 to have it increase by 1 for each change of 1 of the cc value.

• edited July 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

You will have to adjust the range mapping. There was a thread not long ago diving into it. Short version: midi cc’s have 128 values (the integers from 0 to 127. So you need to set the midicontrol settings so that the tempo range is a multiple or fraction of 128. For example, edit the ranges to be 60 to 188 to have it increase by 1 for each change of 1 of the cc value.

Thanks - is that done in the same place? All i found there was a graph that I could move the line in which apparently sets a minimum and maximum tempo

• @pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

Thanks - is that done in the same place? All i found there was a graph that I could move the line in which apparently sets a minimum and maximum tempo

That is what I am talking about. If the difference of the minimum and maximum is 128 then a difference of one in cc value will be one bpm. If the difference is 64 a difference of 1 in cc value will be a difference of 0.5 bpm

• edited July 2022

Hi. We tackled this a month or 2 ago. The trick is to use Pitch Bend, which has 14-bit resolution. Map that to AUM tempo, and use a StreamByter script to select integer BPM values to send via Pitch Bend. I'll try to find the thread.

Edit: Here's the script. It's in the thread quoted by @belldu below.

• I looked at this a while ago and concluded:
    1. AUM mapping for tempo doesn't allow for manual entry (yet) so exact mapping cc to tempo isn't possible
    2. You can do it by mapping to pitchbend, think of it just as as a 14 bit number

In this thread are StreamByter and Mozaic scripts:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50428/controlling-tempo-in-aum-via-midi-from-mozaic-or-streambyter/p1

• thanks, but way too much messin' about there! Adds two more apps into a simple requirement.. I'll put up with the tempo being 120.2 haha!

• edited July 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

That is what I am talking about. If the difference of the minimum and maximum is 128 then a difference of one in cc value will be one bpm. If the difference is 64 a difference of 1 in cc value will be a difference of 0.5 bpm

But so far all I have found that bar does is restrict the highest (or lowest) tempo you can hit, has zero effect on the fractions..like if I drag the right side down, it goes to something like 60 for example, when I move the external know the MAX tempo I can adjust to is 60

• @pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

But so far all I have found that bar does is restrict the highest (or lowest) tempo you can hit, has zero effect on the fractions..like if I drag the right side down, it goes to something like 60 for example, when I move the external know the MAX tempo I can adjust to is 60

If you adjust the range to 128 , it will impact the mapping. If set it to precisely 60 and 187, you should get no fractions. If it is slightly off you will get them.

• edited July 2022

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

If you adjust the range to 128 , it will impact the mapping. If set it to precisely 60 and 187, you should get no fractions. If it is slightly off you will get them.

Ok I'll have another try...

EDIT: ok that works - I don't have many tunes outside 60-187 bpm,apart from a few up jazz ones, they are around 210, so I'll just need to set those manually!

• @pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

@espiegel123 said:

@pax-eterna said:

Look in midi control.

Ok I'll have another try...

EDIT: ok that works - I don't have many tunes outside 60-187 bpm,apart from a few up jazz ones, they are around 210, so I'll just need to set those manually!

You could double the range if you are ok with the increments being 2 bpm per midi value of 1