Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fool Me Twice

Thanks to @MadeofWax and @GeoTony for inspiring me to take another look at ZOA. It's very cool.

ZOA, Waldorf Nave, Moog Model D, Animoog Z, Mitosynth, DrumComputer, Korg MonoPoly, Riffler, Blocs Wave, Thumbjam, iSymphonic, SessionBand Jazz2, and a few others that I don't remember... I don't recall... I got no memory of anything at all.

Comments

• Love the way this one evolves. I have many of the same apps, but you, you use them in such surprising and imaginative ways. Too cool.

• great stuff... i was a bit surprised, and yea jolted, at the first change but quickly got into its internal rhythm. quite an enjoyable journey.

more please.

• @MadeofWax said:
    Love the way this one evolves. I have many of the same apps, but you, you use them in such surprising and imaginative ways. Too cool.

Thanks, Mac! Your tutorial was very good and reminded me of Doug at @thesoundtestroom. You should consider doing more of these. You're very good at it.Thank you, my friend!

• @Stochastically said:
    yes

Glad you liked it! Thanks for listening and commenting.

• @wag said:
    great stuff... i was a bit surprised, and yea jolted, at the first change but quickly got into its internal rhythm. quite an enjoyable journey.

more please.

The ZOA app got me thinking about different ways of writing music. I was also jolted. I'm very glad you enjoyed it and I am planning to do more with it. Have a great weekend, mate!

• There should be a name for your genre, @Paulieworld.

I’d offer “Blender” as a possible description since it sounds like you open the fridge and put everything you find there into the trusty MixMaster and then hit “Blend”. There are still lovely chunks of flavor left from the source materials but the drink is a totally new and refreshing beverage. Mind altering substances included on request.

I need to go play with ZOA some more…

On a side track: Have the Session Apps stopped displaying in your DAW? They don’t appear in AUM any more. I have to export audio recordings and use the AUM file player now.

• @McD, I go for “Melange”.

• @McD @LinearLineman Melange! That sounds like a delicious dessert... made in a Blender! Thank you gentlemen. Happy 4th of July.

• @McD said:
    There should be a name for your genre, @Paulieworld.

I’d offer “Blender” as a possible description since it sounds like you open the fridge and put everything you find there into the trusty MixMaster and then hit “Blend”. There are still lovely chunks of flavor left from the source materials but the drink is a totally new and refreshing beverage. Mind altering substances included on request.

On a side track: Have the Session Apps stopped displaying in your DAW? They don’t appear in AUM any more. I have to export audio recordings and use the AUM file player now.

I haven't experienced any problems with any SessionBand apps other than the usual nonsense. I always load it in Audiobus on the left side and link to Cubasis on the right side. Seems to work. If I stops working, I will find something else.

It's ironic that this is the Audiobus Forum but everybody uses AUM. I only use AUM when apps don't play nice in Audiobus.

• @Paulieworld said:
    It's ironic that this is the Audiobus Forum but everybody uses AUM.

It's really a tribute to @Michael's character that he manages this venue for our benefit.

• @Paulieworld said:

@McD said:
    There should be a name for your genre, @Paulieworld.

I haven't experienced any problems with any SessionBand apps other than the usual nonsense. I always load it in Audiobus on the left side and link to Cubasis on the right side. Seems to work. If I stops working, I will find something else.

It's ironic that this is the Audiobus Forum but everybody uses AUM. I only use AUM when apps don't play nice in Audiobus.

I now see what you mean! I tried the SB Piano app this weekend. I hadn't fired it up in a long time and it wouldn't load in AB3. No problems, however. I just used Piano Motifs and Ravenscroft. Problem solved!

• I used the "REC" feature in Session Band "Acoustic 2" and got a close to 8 bar wave file.

I loaded the wave into Koala and trimmed the length a touch.

Then used Koala in AUM... I need to determine the best way to trigger in Koala. It accepts
    MIDI learn on pads so a Mozaic or Streambyter script to send a note maybe.

• I used the "REC" feature...

I don't mean to bump this song, but I had to thank @McD for his simple and elegant solution. I tried it last night and it works perfectly. I don't know why I didn't think of this myself. That feature has been right in front of me all the time. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. This will be how I work with all of the SB apps from now on. Thank you!!!

• Very alive music, especially any the mid-minute mark.
    Great musicality, and lovely beat.
    Well done!
    I like this.
    Rene

• @ReneAsologuitar said:
    Very alive music, especially any the mid-minute mark.
    Great musicality, and lovely beat.
    Well done!
    I like this.
    Rene

Thank you, Rene! and also for the kind words about my old friend.

• Goodness knows where ZOA was in that but it all sounded flipping good!
    Goodness knows how I inspired you because that was way better than most of the stuff I knock out…
    Keep them coming🙂

• @GeoTony said:
    Goodness knows where ZOA was in that but it all sounded flipping good!

Thanks, Tony.
    The opening synth lines are Waldorf Nave controlled by ZOA.
    There are also a few bass lines that use the same ZOA state but with the tempo at half speed or less.
    Near the end there is a chaotic sound that was a percussion-type preset in one of the synths I mentioned in the description.
    I first encountered Conway's Game of Life in an app called Xynthesizr, but I like ZOA's presentation more.
    It seems to yield more useable results.
    Thanks for listening and commenting!