Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Making a audio drum track into midi - Is this possible?

Just wondered if it were possible using an app or some online website to convert a drum track in audio form into a midi track. I realise that both are completly different but I want really to capture the rythmn of the track. As a project I must produce something simular to the original and figured if it was made midi I could have more creative input.
You might tell me that this is impossible, then I am still glad I asked.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• edited July 2022

Search for envelope follower. FAC Envolver is a good one.

From the description:

NG: Noise gate
    Noise gates are usually used to get rid off the background noise below a given threshold, but the effect does not stop there and can be used in a creative way. Take a drums loop, set the threshold to taste and activate the MIDI note generation. Connect FAC Envolver to your favourite synthesizer and select your favourite sound. The initial loop will be cut giving room to the synthesizer responding to the note generated in sync.

TG: Trigger gate
    Trigger gate or trance gate instantly provides rhythm to anything passed through. The input audio is muted in sync according a pre configured sequence of On/Off gates. What makes the fx outstanding is the use of the MIDI note output combination as described in the noise gate example.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Just wondered if it were possible using an app or some online website to convert a drum track in audio form into a midi track. I realise that both are completly different but I want really to capture the rythmn of the track. As a project I must produce something simular to the original and figured if it was made midi I could have more creative input.
    You might tell me that this is impossible, then I am still glad I asked.

Thanks in advance.

Some slicers will let you export midi of the slices that recreates the rhythm. ReSlice can do that as can Auditors slicing tool. I have not been able to figure out how to export corresponding midi from Neon, but maybe it is possible. BeatMaker 3 can do this also I think.

• I have no idea how good this will work I’ve never tried it, but there are some free tools online.

Here’s one,

https://anyconv.com/audio-to-midi-converter/

• If your drum track includes multiple percussion instruments (snare, bass, cymbals, toms), I believe you need a "drum replacement" app. I've seen them advertised for desktops. They're not cheap though. But you might find one you can use. See for example this article.

• edited July 2022

I think Auria has Drumagog but who knows if it works as this was ages ago that I last took a look at it.

• Ableton can do it but it might only be a feature in Suite

• wimwim
    edited July 2022

Neon Audio Editor lets you slice up a beat, then export the slices along with a MIDI file that contains the timing for the slices. Beatmaker 3 excels at this as well. I can’t remember right now if Auditor exports a midi file like this or not.

Once you have the timing of the slices and can easily determine which sounds they represent, your most of the way there.

Import the MIDI to Atom2, LK, or any DAW that can import midi, point the output to another app, and just move the slices to different pitches. Works great.

• @wim said:
    Neon Audio Editor lets you slice up a beat, then export the slices along with a MIDI file that contains the timing for the slices. Beatmaker 3 excels at this as well. I can’t remember right now if Auditor exports a midi file like this or not.

Once you have the timing of the slices and can easily determine which sounds they represent, your most of the way there.

Import the MIDI to Atom2, LK, or any DAW that can import midi, point the output to another app, and just move the slices to different pitches. Works great.

What are the steps to export the corresponding MIDI file. I see a command that puts the MIDI into the clipboard -- and I just discovered that I can go to the Files app and paste it as a file into a folder -- but is there a way to save the slice MIDI as a file from within Neon Editor. It seems like there must be a way that I am not figuring out. It would be nice if it exported it into the folder with the slices.

• I was just refreshing my memory on that and I think I had only used the clipboard or recorded straight from the output. Agreed it would be logical for the midi file to be dumped with the slices. Maybe it’s Auditor that does that?

I only have my iPhone available right now, so it’s difficult to check this stuff.

• @wim said:
    I was just refreshing my memory on that and I think I had only used the clipboard or recorded straight from the output. Agreed it would be logical for the midi file to be dumped with the slices. Maybe it’s Auditor that does that?

I only have my iPhone available right now, so it’s difficult to check this stuff.

Auditor saves the MIDI file when you export the slices.

• I knew there was a smooth workflow around there somewhere. I’m sure not finding one with Neon on the iPhone. 😐

• @wim said:

Many great ideas here, but track is too busy for Neon to slice well.
    Thanks

• @Poppadocrock said:
    I have no idea how good this will work I’ve never tried it, but there are some free tools online.

Here’s one,

Thanks for all the links. Did I say it was a busy file. lol

This is what anyconv produced.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    I have no idea how good this will work I’ve never tried it, but there are some free tools online.

Here’s one,

Thanks for all the links. Did I say it was a busy file. lol

This is what anyconv produced.

However if I am very selective, I reckon this is ultimately the best solution.

Many thanks

• wimwim
    edited July 2022

You could run the track through Koala's stem separator first, to try to get a drum track to slice up. There's a standalone app called Let's Unmix (I think), that does basically the same thing.

• @wim said:
    You could run the track through Koala's stem separator first, to try to get a drum track to slice up. There's a standalone app called Let's Unmix (I think), that does basically the same thing.

Thanks Wim, but Koala just splits the drums from a track not individual drums, like snare, hi hat, etc.

• Just do several passes with whatever tune-able „slice detector“ or drum replacer.
    Each pass tuned to a certain drum instrument (there may be machine-learning based ones).
    It‘s necessary because multiple hits may happen on some parts of a measure.

• @Toastedghost said:

@wim said:

Thanks Wim, but Koala just splits the drums from a track not individual drums, like snare, hi hat, etc.

Yes, but if you then slice the drum track with an app like Auditor, you can get a MIDI file that has the timing, with one note for each slice. Once you determine which slices go with which drum sounds, it's just a matter of rearranging the midi notes to play the sounds on any app that you want to.

It's probably hard to visualize if you've never done something like this before. It's a lot easier than it sounds.

• edited July 2022

Holy heck @Toastedghost you weren’t lying. Lol. That’s almost like one of them old 3d posters there’s so much midi going on there. Lol.

Ohhh ok. That’s the results from anyconv… thanks for sharing. I have used that site for other conversions but never audio to midi.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Holy heck @Toastedghost you weren’t lying. Lol. That’s almost like one of them old 3d posters there’s so much midi going on there. Lol.

Ohhh ok. That’s the results from anyconv… thanks for sharing. I have used that site for other conversions but never audio to midi.

The other site to be fair generated the same outcome, seem they must share the same alogorithms.

• @Toastedghost said:

@Poppadocrock said:

The other site to be fair generated the same outcome, seem they must share the same alogorithms.

That’s sounds probable. Have you found any adequate solutions?

What about the app Audio 2 Midi AU? Or A2M? I think it has an IAP but might be worth a shot.

• I just remembered that Spotify released a ML-enhanced audio-to-MIDI service recently

https://engineering.atspotify.com/2022/06/meet-basic-pitch/

Don't break it.

• @mojozart said:
    I just remembered that Spotify released a ML-enhanced audio-to-MIDI service recently

Don't break it.

@mojozart said:
    I just remembered that Spotify released a ML-enhanced audio-to-MIDI service recently

Don't break it.

Broken already! @mojozart it only accepts 1 instrument, not a range of drums, my results appeared as one note! lol

• @wim said:

@Toastedghost said:

@wim said:

Yes, but if you then slice the drum track with an app like Auditor, you can get a MIDI file that has the timing, with one note for each slice. Once you determine which slices go with which drum sounds, it's just a matter of rearranging the midi notes to play the sounds on any app that you want to.

It's probably hard to visualize if you've never done something like this before. It's a lot easier than it sounds.

I think wim is right. Use a slicer and your ear. Listen to the slices and if any have multiple hits, manually add the needed notes.

It isn't likely that any tool can automatically deconstruct all of the different drums and percussion.

Something you can do is duplicate the track and use eq to focus each version on a particular instrument and slice those parts independently.

• Do you have Auria ? It detects transient. Should be able to cut at the transient and drag all the kick in a new track and do on for the other kit parts.

I don't have iPad with me to check.

• @ecou said:
    Do you have Auria ? It detects transient. Should be able to cut at the transient and drag all the kick in a new track and do on for the other kit parts.

I don't have iPad with me to check.

Auditor and Neon , mentioned up-thread, also slice by transients and generate MIDI (also mentioned up thread). OP is hoping to find something even more automated that will handle separating out each instrument.