Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spacecraft key

edited July 2022 in General App Discussion

Hi all, if I use Zoa (or any sequencer for that matter) to trigger synth notes in a certain key, and then use spacecraft as an FX to capture that audio, how do I keep the audio in the same key whilst using the arpeggiator in Spacecraft?
Yes I have rtfm and I can’t figure it out

Comments

• edited July 2022

You can't. Spacecraft doesn't know about the pitches contained in the audio material so transposing the audio will always shift notes by the same amount, regardless of their scale.

A workaround could be to always use the same pitch in incoming audio and always leave the transposition to Spacecraft.

A less precise workaround could be to use an autotune effect that detects pitches and pushes them back on scale.

• I like this last idea, would never have thought of that!

@rs2000 said:
    You can't. Spacecraft doesn't know about the pitches contained in the audio material so transposing the audio will always shift notes by the same amount, regardless of their scale.

A workaround could be to always use the same pitch in incoming audio and always leave the transposition to Spacecraft.

A less precise workaround could be to use an autotune effect that detects pitches and pushes them back on scale.

• @Gavinski said:
    I like this last idea, would never have thought of that!

@rs2000 said:

Who knows, you may end up with a new kind of sound 😃

• @rs2000 said:
    You can't. Spacecraft doesn't know about the pitches contained in the audio material so transposing the audio will always shift notes by the same amount, regardless of their scale

Thanks @rs2000 - yes I figured that was the case but thought I’d ask ….
    So if I want everything in F# Major Pentatonic (which I do) , I would record the incoming audio in that key, and then what?

Thanks again!

• Or do you mean I have to transpose to F# Maj pent in spacecraft, which involves figuring out which key to record in to begin with ? @rs2000

• @Kashi said:
    Or do you mean I have to transpose to F# Maj pent in spacecraft, which involves figuring out which key to record in to begin with ? @rs2000

I think you will need to experiment where to put the auto tune. You might need it both before and after.

• @Kashi said:
    Or do you mean I have to transpose to F# Maj pent in spacecraft, which involves figuring out which key to record in to begin with ? @rs2000

The problem with transposing a melody is that transposition will most likely destroy the scale. You might want to draw a little chart to see which notes still end up on the original scale after the intended transpositions in Spacecraft's arp.

• @rs2000 said:

@Kashi said:

The problem with transposing a melody is that transposition will most likely destroy the scale. You might want to draw a little chart to see which notes still end up on the original scale after the intended transpositions in Spacecraft's arp.

Yes will try this. Thanks again!

• @Kashi said:

@rs2000 said:
    You can't. Spacecraft doesn't know about the pitches contained in the audio material so transposing the audio will always shift notes by the same amount, regardless of their scale

Thanks @rs2000 - yes I figured that was the case but thought I’d ask ….
    So if I want everything in F# Major Pentatonic (which I do) , I would record the incoming audio in that key, and then what?

Thanks again!

What he mainly meant was, just feed it an F# note

Then use the spacecraft sequencer to make your tune, but set the scale to major pentatonic

• @Gavinski said:

What he mainly meant was, just feed it an F# note

Then use the spacecraft sequencer to make your tune, but set the scale to major pentatonic

Gotcha. Thanks buddy