Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Audio Unit from Apple - AUSoundIsolation

Haven't tried it out yet, but good to know they are doing stuff.

Comments

• Not seeing this in the App Store.
    Where's this from?

• @Danny_Kil said:
    Not seeing this in the App Store.
    Where's this from?

Haven’t checked to see if this is on i(Pad)OS yet — judging from the toolbar, OP is using MacOS. But Apple AUs are included at system-level and accessible through GarageBand/Logic, or any other app that exposes them (IIRC ApeMatrix is one example on iOS). Developers can also re-skin them, like Loopy Pro’s built-in effects. So something like this will open up a lot of possibilities!

• @Danny_Kil said:
    Where's this from?

It's a new native one on the Mac. I've only looked on Ventura - so I'm not sure if it's available on earlier versions. If you have an app like zMors Modular you'll be able to see it there as well, but again, I'm using iPadOS 16, so you'll have to check if available on earlier versions.

• @Danny_Kil said:
    Where's this from?

It’s not an app. It’s for developers to add to their apps.

• @NeuM said:

@Danny_Kil said:
    Where's this from?

It’s not an app. It’s for developers to add to their apps.

In this case I think it was developed to work with Continuity Camera - when connected there's a Voice Isolation option. But it's still available to use like any other Audio Unit in hosts that expose the system AU's.

• @CapnWillie said:
    I’m thinking this is something like Klev’s Brusfri? Eliminating ambient noises to isolate vocals or naw?

I’m thinking it’s using machine learning to distinguish and eliminate background noise.

• This is what I get on my 11" M1 iPadPro, iPadOS15.5.

When an app is using a microphone this is present in the control center.

When I tap on it I get these options, but they can not be selected as the 'app' accessing the microphone does not support the features?!

• @Samu Curious about that - I guess the sound isolation has been available since before 16? Or maybe you have a Mac running the beta? Or maybe it's specific to certain devices? I haven't seen the Wide Spectrum either. Good stuff!

• @Aud_iOS said:
    @Samu Curious about that - I guess the sound isolation has been available since before 16? Or maybe you have a Mac running the beta? Or maybe it's specific to certain devices? I haven't seen the Wide Spectrum either. Good stuff!

Nope, it's just standard iPadOS15.5 on the 11" M1 iPadPro and on the MacMini I'm running macOS Monterey 12.4.

The different 'mic arrangements' are quite nice and can be selected in AUM settings.
    (Top Omni, Stereo options for front & back etc.).

On the iPhone 8 or iPad Air 2 I get no variable microphone settings in the control center (but I can still select the individual microphones in AUM) so it could be one of those M1 only things?!

Don't know If there are any apps yet that support those settings. I do suspect GarageBand selects automatically depending on which mic has the strongest input.

The 'Wide Spectrum' could be handy for field-recording purposes...

There was one WWDC session last year where they messed around with these settings.
    (Don't remember the session number or name but it had to do with audio).

Cheers!

• I guess I'll awaken this 'zombie thread' with a question now that I'm on a more recent iPad (M1 iPad Pro) and just got myself one of the brand new Apple USB-C EarPods.

When I connect the USB-C EarPods to my MacMini I can easily enabled 'voice isolation' on EarPods Mic and it's almost like getting 'Brusfri for Free' which is super nice!

The question however is. Do we have any audio apps on the iPad that actually support this feature?

I can see this option when AUM is running but I can NOT select it?!

@j_liljedahl could support for this 'feature' be added to AUM? (with minimal effort).

The option is there but can not be selected.

On the positive side it can not be selected in Logic Pro for iPad either and only a few handful of messaging apps actually allow enabling this feature on the iPad.

Cheers!

• @Samu said:
    I guess I'll awaken this 'zombie thread' with a question now that I'm on a more recent iPad (M1 iPad Pro) and just got myself one of the brand new Apple USB-C EarPods.

When I connect the USB-C EarPods to my MacMini I can easily enabled 'voice isolation' on EarPods Mic and it's almost like getting 'Brusfri for Free' which is super nice!

The question however is. Do we have any audio apps on the iPad that actually support this feature?

I can see this option when AUM is running but I can NOT select it?!

@j_liljedahl could support for this 'feature' be added to AUM? (with minimal effort).

The option is there but can not be selected.

On the positive side it can not be selected in Logic Pro for iPad either and only a few handful of messaging apps actually allow enabling this feature on the iPad.

Cheers!

As far as I understand, mic modes are only available for voice-over IP ("voice chat") apps: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfaudio/avaudiosessionmodevoicechat?language=objc

• @j_liljedahl said:

As far as I understand, mic modes are only available for voice-over IP ("voice chat") apps: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/avfaudio/avaudiosessionmodevoicechat?language=objc

Oh, that's a bummer if that's the case :(

When the USB-C EarPods are used on the Mac (running macOS Sonoma) the voice isolation can be enabled in the new menu that pops up to show which apps are using the microphone and applies to all apps using the microphone so at least on the Mac it's not limited' to VoIP apps.

That gave me hopes that this would also have been possible to do with iPadOS17 in which case it would have been super handy to get clean audio when doing screen-recordings.

Oh well, if it can't be done it can't be done...

• The 'Voice Isolation' works with all inputs under macOS Sonoma when enabled, sweet!

• In the past I was able to select the mic on Bluetooth earbuds or wired buds as input in various iOS audio apps. On 17.1 and iPad Pro 11 M2 that’s no longer an option in any of my apps except Filmic Pro.

Did Apple take this ability away? Or, is there an iOS setting that needs to be changed to get that option back?

• @skiphunt said:
    In the past I was able to select the mic on Bluetooth earbuds or wired buds as input in various iOS audio apps. On 17.1 and iPad Pro 11 M2 that’s no longer an option in any of my apps except Filmic Pro.

Did Apple take this ability away? Or, is there an iOS setting that needs to be changed to get that option back?

Developers probably need to update their apps.