Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(Generative Ambient Music) JWM - First Half of the Year Has Passed

edited July 2022 in Creations

"OMG, a piece that doesn't use Gauss!? What's going on Jim?!"

I'll explain. This piece is my second foray into the world of generative music. The first foray was that "MiRack Experiment", and to be brutally honest, it was a lot of work to create an actually boring piece of music, lol.

This time, I went into AUM with a specific goal in mind - don't make it too complex yet.

So on the left (offscreen) is Zoa driving two instances of Monolit and one instance of Zeeon, all set to a whole tone scale.

The higher-pitched bleeps you hear come from the default patch of Monolit on mixer track 4. This is processed through a lowpass filter being driven by MIDILfos, Bleass Granulizer, Bleass Reverb, a highpass filter to shave off the lowend a little, and two gains (to be explained below).

The warm deep drone is Zeeon on mixer track 3. This is processed through a lowpass filter being driven by MIDILfos, Bleass Shimmer (in order to fatten the bass) (yes, sometimes rules like "don't put reverb on the bass" are meant to be broken when it comes to Experimental stuff 😝), and two gains (to be explained below).

Mixer track 2 contains another instance of Monolit, this time a patch I created consisting of a simple FM pluck soud. This is processed through a lowpass filter being driven by MIDILfos, Bleass Reverb, Bleass Delay, a highpass filter to shave off the low end, and two gains.

FINE! I'll explain the two gains. When I use one gain to manually fade out a sound, you can still faintly hear it. So I put two gains, one at -24dB which doesn't get toggled, and one at +24dB which will act as my fader so that when I'm done listening to a sound, I can simply fade it out easy peasy.

Okay, so all of the audio tracks are routed to a master buss. These are processed through Crystalline, ChowTape (seriously, I need to pay that man a $25 tip!), Korvpressor to bring up some of the lows, and a peak limiter (although luckily the mix never peaked).

I expect my next foray into generative music to be more complex. This is just a start for me. Cheers and enjoy!

Oh P.S., obligatory screenshot!

Comments

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Anybody?

Sorry. I will listen and comment after I finish my podcasts.
    I'm enjoying your journaling of your descent into this genre.

Have you tried random recordings in Thafknar to be used as IR file? I record while the TV
    is on playing film music for 60-90 seconds.

Then I make the recording an IR file and load Thafknar as a reverb in AUM. These IR reverbs
    smear all input into 60+ seconds of hazy noise in realtime and not in batch processing. Your might record vacuum cleaners, garbage disposals, showers, road traffic, electric fans, boiling water, ASMR breathing or mic scratches.

• edited July 2022

@McD said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Anybody?

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm enjoying your journaling of your descent into this genre.

Thanks mate. :) I love to journal it out in hopes others can learn from it (as well as help me remember how I did it, lol).

Have you tried random recordings in Thafknar to be used as IR file? I record while the TV
    is on playing film music for 60-90 seconds.

Whoa! :open_mouth: Says in the description that Thafknar can be used as an audio unit! I've been looking for a convolution reverb like this! :)

Then I make the recording an IR file and load Thafknar as a reverb in AUM. These IR reverbs
    smear all input into 60+ seconds of hazy noise in realtime and not in batch processing. Your might record vacuum cleaners, garbage disposals, showers, road traffic, electric fans, boiling water, ASMR breathing or mic scratches.

That sounds awesome! I'm going to have to give this a shot! :)

(Then again, perhaps it's better to buy IMPULSation. Only $5.)

• Thafknar are implements IR’s in true stereo. Hopefully more people will comment on differences. I own both.

• @McD said:
    Thafknar are implements IR’s in true stereo. Hopefully more people will comment on differences. I own both.

I didn't know that. Well, I'll get Thafknar too then. :)

• Thafknar can be tricky on adding IR’s or moving from recording to IR but we’ll get there together with questions.

• @McD said:
    Thafknar can be tricky on adding IR’s or moving from recording to IR but we’ll get there together with questions.

Sounds promising mate. :) Thank you.

• @McD said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Anybody?

You have a podcast?
    Link?

• edited July 2022

Nice one @jwmmakerofmusic :)
    Just listened to it now.
    I know I like something a fellow musician has made when I stop analyzing and just listen.

Mmmm, bass reverb.

• @BirbHope said:
    You have a podcast?

No. I listen to some Daily podcasts for news.

• @BirbHope said:
    Nice one @jwmmakerofmusic :)
    Just listened to it now.
    I know I like something a fellow musician has made when I stop analyzing and just listen.

Mmmm, bass reverb.

Thanks mate! :) I appreciate it. Glad someone finally gave it a listen lol.